Most Waterproof EZ Up

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Most Waterproof EZ Up

Postby Shiro » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:34 pm

We camp in Western Washington and so keeping the rain off is more common than keeping the sun off. Our current canopy leaks.

What is the most waterproof type of EZ up like tent? Has anyone treated a canopy to shed water? It would be nice to have a 10 x 10 area of dryness around

Thanks
Shiro
Teardrop Advisor

Postby toypusher » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:19 pm

I'm not sure, but you will have to use waterprofing on an EZ-up type or any tent as far as that goes. I have an ez-up type and used spray on waterprofing made for tents. Got it at a Dick's sporting goods store locally. Any tent place should carry it. Just my opinion!
toypusher
Site Admin

Most water proof EZ.....

Postby rooster » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Kerry, you hit the nail on the head, I lived most of my life in the Puget Sound area, (Tacoma/Gig Harbor) and camped in the rain, Each year I sprayed the tent and tarps real good and never had a problem. Just have a lot of ropes.

Jim,
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Hmm.. never knew this existed.. I was looking for a link the the paha que 10x10 screen house, which had drop down awning walls for wind and rain protection.... anyway..

http://www.pahaque.com/products-screenroomlg.html

This is what I was looking for:

http://tinyurl.com/djl3j

Hunt around the site till you find the item and look for ORDER NOW or ADD TO CART... the price should pop up.
Last edited by Arne on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Ira » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:10 pm

How much is that? And while we're on the subject:

Can I expect my AC keep a side tent like this cool as well? One with regular walls, not screen?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby bobinohio » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:31 pm

Now I'm really confused. :?

What, exactly, is an "easy up" I assumed (I know, I know) it was one of those square canopys on poles I was seeing in many of the Hall of Fame pictures.

In 20 minutes this evening I've just seen two examples of what I've been searching for since I first came to the board. Oh well. The "little guy" site did have a page that sounded about right but most pages there crash my browser or load in 20 minutes (ready or not :lol: ).

I realize that some of you want, for whatever reason, people to search endlessly without even knowing the name of what they're looking for but... give me a break- please??? :worship: :worship:

Bob

HIDDEN (Don't read this part 'till later... Somebody is going to say "use the search button at the top.... " Never mind that most search engines (especially "built ins") often crash older browsers. And many of us just can't afford the latest whiz bang computer and memory eating browser. Hells Bells! I'd buy a Tear if I had that knd of money! Rant over... Sorry. But then you weren't supposed to be reading this anyway ;) )
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:41 pm

It's a canopy with it's own frame. Very easy to set up but weighs alot.
http://tinyurl.com/dlg7z
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby gman » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:28 pm

This one looks good too and at $209, seems like a bargin [url]http://store.summitracing.com/ [url] do a search for Suv tent.[/url]
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Ira wrote:How much is that? And while we're on the subject:

Can I expect my AC keep a side tent like this cool as well? One with regular walls, not screen?

I attach an 8 foot square by 6 foot tall Sportz tent to the rear of my camper (Compact GT with rear door). I have the smallest el cheapo Home Depot AC unit inside the camper and with the rear door open to the tent, with the tent all zipped up, it does help to keep the temp down. Won't freeze you out but for sure can feel the difference. Makes the tent much more bearable during the day. It would keep someone plenty cool at night if they were to sleep in the tent.
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Duckdrop » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm

$595 on the little guy site

http://www.golittleguy.com/options.html
Terry D
Duckdrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobinohio » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:18 am

Sonetpro wrote:It's a canopy with it's own frame. Very easy to set up but weighs alot.
http://tinyurl.com/dlg7z

Steve,

Thank you very much. You sir, are a gentleman.

Bob
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ira » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:37 am

Bob, have you seen the RV Crazy show where they feature teardrops?

I haven't seen much of it on this site, pictures I mean, but a lot of TD'ers do really cool things creating a theme out of their entire campsite to match their trailer theme. They park on specially matched carpets/mats (what are those called, guys?), they put up cute fences, hang stuff, etc.

So my EZ-up has to be RED to match what I have in mind. (Haven't bought one yet.)
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:21 am

I hate to interrupt this thread but back to the original question.

I have the large canopy sold by Sam's. It is a Caravan, not EZ-Up sold at Costco but they should be the same. I see many of them at dog shows I attend also. Both models seem to work well.

Mine is quite water proof and with the side panels on it stays dry inside. I used it on a long weekend a year ago when it rained every day, including a 12 hour stretch the last night. It stayed dry until one side collapsed. It seems there was more damage than I realized when the tent blew over a couple weeks before. :o Remember to stake it down. The Caravan did come with some additional sand bags that I now use diligently.

This was a mechanical problem, not a dry issue. The parts have been replaced and I have been dry since but I tend to avoid wet camping when I can.
This is one of the 10x10 white canopy's with a pyramid top. The little EZ-ups are not all water proof and I have had most of them.

I am attending the same event next month and will leave the Tear at home since Feb is rain season in Nor California.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobinohio » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:52 am

Ira wrote:Bob, have you seen the RV Crazy show where they feature teardrops?

Ira,

I didn't see your post earlier. No, I haven't seen the show. I'll have to check for it. It seem quite a few got into tears after watching it.

Bob
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shiro » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 am

Thanks for all the replies. I suspect that I will just look for canopy that has a good pitch to the materials, a fairly tight weave, and treat it for more waterproofness
Shiro
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to General Discussion