Anything electric, AC or DC

Transformers, Good or Bad

Postby rooster » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:03 pm

At a garage sale I came across a, Hon-Kwang Plug in Class 2
Transformer, made in China.

Model: D12-16-P
Input: 120V 60Hz 35W
Output: 12VDC 1500mA

Question is, If I disconnect power from the battery to the fuse panel, (via a switch) and taking the power from the transformer (via a switch) directly to the fuse panel, using shore power, would that power my 12V system sufficiently?

Or, do I "have" to have a power converter?

Jim, :?
Last edited by rooster on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Rooster-

My first thought is that 1500mA output is too little to do much?

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:17 pm

Jim, unless I misplaced my decimal(possible) that is only 1.5 amps...about what a trickle charger is and not enough power to replace a battery...what you need is something like this from Deltrans it is a 6A switching power converter/4 stage charger
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:36 am

I have seen switches designed to work with two batteries. Could one be wired to the battery and one wired to the converter, then using the switch, choose between the power supply and battery based on the availability of shore power? This electrical is confusing the heck outta me. I understand just enough to be dangerous.

Scott F. :?
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:13 am

Scott...it really doesn't have to be that hard, like a lotta aspects of our builds, we as a group have a strong tendency to overbuild...that is why I will be using and have been recommending this unit ...it is designed to be hard wired into the system and take care of it's self(and you)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:51 am

I tend to agree; 1500 mA just isn't enough.

Check into something like one of these

JC Whitney clicky

I used this one...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:15 am

Mike,

How much is one of those? I was just going to use a battery charger, but this might be better.

Hey, was on the board this morning at 4:30 and you weren't there, :shock: Sleeping in now that you aren't going to work? :lol:

I couldn't sleep, the ONLY reason that I was up. :cry:

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:32 am

It looks like $59 here...

http://geek.pricegrabber.com/search_get ... id=399008/

Yep, I am trying to sleep in mornings... :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:32 am

Hi

No disrespect intended here, but the battery tender is a good three stage battery charger that can supply the tear with power too, the pyramid is a power supply that seems to be set at trickle charge voltage (13.8v)

Whats the difference?

Mikes is a power supply that could be used with no battery in place, but this will not keep the battery in good condition nor will it fully charge the battery.

The Deltran will fully charge the battery and supply up to 6 Amps as a power supply to, it will also keep the battery in good health and prevent premature failure due to hardedned sulphation, for a total of $10 more.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:55 am

I have an IOTA, not installed yet...........since I have yet to start building.
:roll:

Here's the specs;
Iota is CERTIFIED 100% Duty Cycle @ 45 CONTINUOUS AMPS - Industrial Quality. Astron, Tripp-Lite, Pyramid are ONLY 50% duty cycle; ONE HALF the power.

Battery Charger, Converter and Power Supply are names that describe virtually the same product. Batter Chargers are usually not filtered and will cause interference to TVs and Communications Radios; Converters are usually only slightly better filtered; Quality Power Supplies are completely filtered and will not cause interference.

These CERTIFIED Industrial/Commercial Communications Power Supplies and are FULLY RF / TVI filtered for Marine HF and VHF communications and onboard electronics, Commercial Radio systems, CB and Ham radios HF and VHF, TV’s, etc. They are, also, Industrial TOUGH. They can easily operate 12 vdc appliances like coffee makers, toaster ovens, refrigerators, 12 vdc motors and pumps, etc.

VERY IMPORTANT to Boaters, RV’ers and Reteater owners: These battery chargers/power supplies are protected against Line Voltage Spikes to 190+ vac and Brownouts ( ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE USING A GENERATOR ). The electrical systems at many Marinas and RV parks leave a lot to desired. Many are in rural areas or are overloaded during peak seasons making them subject to Brownouts then High Voltage Power Surges and broken grounds, etc. These supplies are the ONLY FULLY SELF PROTECTING supplies/chargers available of this type. Other brands usually ONLY protect to 135-145 vac.

TWO, THREE or more Iota supplies of like size can be COMBINED for additional AMPERAGE demand. Easy to upgrade.

Iota power supplies are 60% more efficient than conventional supplies. Astron, Tripp-lite, Pyramid COST TWICE as much to operate. Iota power supplies will pay for themselves within 3 years of ham shack or 1 year of continuous usage.

Iotas have Constant Voltage / Pure DC Output and are regulated / filtered.

Iota’s thermally controlled fan is smaller and MUCH MORE QUIET.

Iota supplies are Overload, Over-temperature, Over-current and Brown-out input Protected.

Iota supplies are DUAL VOLTAGE: 14.2 vdc for equipment operation and full battery charging; 13.4 vdc for maintaining auto, commercial, deep cycle and gel BACKUP batteries. Iota’s are protected against reverse polarity on the DC output. All supplies have external user replaceable fuses. They ALSO, have AUTOMATIC resetable internal circuit breakers for voltage spikes.

Excellent HEAVY DUTY WORKHORSE power supply for CONTINUOUS operation of Fire, Police, Government, Commercial and Ham REPEATERS. Low Cost, Reliable and Maintenance Free Operation.

Iota uses ( 3 ) heavy duty Industrial screw clamps accepting UP TO 4 ga cable ( power+, power- and chassis ground ), instead of light duty banana plugs or fragile ring connectors. The larger cable capacity allows for heavier current handling ( because of 100% Continuous Duty Cycle ) and / or remote location of supply without lowering output line voltage to equipment.

Fully RF and TVI filtered and capable of operating a HF/VHF/UHF Ham, Commercial or HF/VHF Marine radio station.

Capable of operating entire RV, Boat or Remote Control DC Power System and Unlimited 12vdc Multi-bank Battery Charging.

Size is: 7” long (x) 6.75” wide (x) 3.75” high.

Input voltage is 108 to 132 vac and 40–70 Hz and consumes ONLY 900 watts at full demand. Can be operating using a standard 15 amp household receptacle. Iota’s are protected against momentary line voltage spikes to 190+ vac.

Iota’s can be modified for 220 vac input AND 24 output vdc at 25 and 50 amp outputs ( contact us for more info ).

NEEDED FOR FULLTIME BATTERY CHARGING. IQ-4 Microprocessor-controller ( FACTORY OPTIONAL @ $ 35.00 ) turns the supply into a “Automatic TRUE 3 STAGE Smart Charger” allowing Bulk, Absorption, Float stage charging AND AUTOMATIC EQUALIZATION. This option increases the charging capacity of the supply, decreases charge times and insures proper and safe battery conditioning without overheating or overcharging and eliminates the need for constant monitoring over long periods of non-use. Not needed for power supply use.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Transformers..............

Postby rooster » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Well,,,For stopping by a garage sale, it sure got me a lot of good information. Checked on the S/H to get the Pyramid to me was over $39 and that would be almost a hundred bucks. Didn't check on the Deltran. Better check in Anchorage.

But the information from everybody was great.....even K. Hood gave a me headache in all that reading ....lol

Jim, :?
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:06 pm

I really like the IOTA's and there ilk BUT $> $> $> the prices I have seen for them are in the 200 to 400 dollar range for a full blown unit, maybe they can be had cheaper but I have not found 'em for such and Ebay doesn't count unless you can go and get one on a regular basis there...the Deltrans unit is a compromise I know but it will do the job for 75bucks has a soild reputation and I can't imagine what the heck you are gonna do with 45 A of DC voltage...the 6 amp output of the Deltrans will run all my 12Vdc items(lights, fan,TV/DVD/radio) and keep my battery charged...if more amperage is needed...well, that is what the battery is for...any more than that is way more than my wants and needs...JMNSHO
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:31 pm

Ken

Battery Charger, Power supply and convertor, are three totally different things.

A Battery charger (true battery charger) needs three or more stages and will properly charge a battery, that means fully charged and will ensure the battery lasts (in years)

A power supply is just that, a means of supplying power at 12v (or whatever the unit is set to supply)

A convertor is the American RV type power supply that tries to be a charger and Power Supply too, Jack of all trades and master of none OK if all you do is stay on hook-up/shore power. Usually at around 13.8 volts

Most solutions are a compromise, the deltran is the best compromise for a tear that will be doing some boondooking because it will fully charge the battery thus maximising the AmpHours. The standard Iota doesnt charge a battery very well, so if you were wild camping you would have many less hours of use available.

If it was UK I would reccomend a budget sterling, "Jacks" Deltran is the Best budget US product that I know of.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:18 pm

PB...I don't know the "best" way to do it but I would tend to put the bigger charger on overnite and then hook up the Deltrans, letting it finish charging....unless I found thru experimentation that the Deltrans was sufficient...protect that battery!!!...it could freeze up, the UV's from the sun will kill the case and leaving it were it can get damp (fog/dew/rain) will cause it discharge/leak/bleed voltage and longevity thru the moisture on the case
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:29 pm

Madjack,

I've mentioned before that I plan on building my tear for 12v only. But there will be times I'll need to park in as "sissy" campground where there is electricity. Can I just hook a good battery charger into the 115V AC and use my 12 volt battery as is?
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets