Northern Utah - Hopeful of modified version of Campster 12

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Northern Utah - Hopeful of modified version of Campster 12

Postby Archeo Robert » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:43 pm

I found this site about 2 years ago, got busy and put in the back of my mind for a while. About 2 months ago I started reviewing the design I had been working on and I have certainly got TEARDROP on the brain again. It's been fun to review the excellent work and contribution that takes place on this forum. Many thanks to all those who have freely shared their experience and helpful information and encouraged others to keep the fun going.

Recently my focus is on a slightly taller version the Campster 12 and maybe only 6' wide and no back hatch. At this stage I am open what will work for this 52 year old with 2 boys (3 yrs. and 5 yrs.) and did I mention an adventurous wife and good sport. We all like to spend time the mountains and red rock country to the south.

Thinking about building a Teardrop kind of brings out the young boy in me and the adventure of building a Fort or a Tree house on wheels. I do have a woodworking shop and a 4x8 table CNC; we also have a weld shop. I know it takes a lot of work and dedication, and a better economy would also help, but its got to start sometime. I will post some drawings soon.

I have been thinking about a fiberglass shell for the side walls & roof, with 1â€
"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again."
Archeo Robert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby sonar37 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Welcome to the forum!
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire? ~Author Unknown~
sonar37
Teardrop Master

Postby bc toys » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 am

Welcome to form from Las Vegas
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TENNJIM » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. Wishing you the very best on your build; this is the place for ideas and information. I have enjoyed the Utah mountains and red-rock country very much with my teardrop and know you will as well. Hope to see you down the road some day.
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Archeo Robert » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Thank you for the welcome from
sonar37, bc toys, & TENNJIM

I keep noticing all of these profound signature lines and have been getting a kick out of them.

I also have thought about the idea of converting a 5x10 covered utility into a little camp trailer.

And as Jim knows we have alot of areas to explore in our region and a compact trailer would be an awesome base camp for little adventures. One of the considerations for for me would be sturdy enough for moderate bumpy roads but not really looking for extreme backroads.

I hope to finalize the basic design and master plan of size & shell profile etc. and start adding more materials, components, and getting a frame together as I am able to do so.

Regards,
Robert
"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again."
Archeo Robert
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Northern Utah - Hopeful of modified version of Campster

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:54 am

[quote="Archeo Robert"]

Thinking about building a Teardrop kind of brings out the young boy in me and the adventure of building a Fort or a Tree house on wheels. I do have a woodworking shop and a 4x8 table CNC; we also have a weld shop. I know it takes a lot of work and dedication, and a better economy would also help, but its got to start sometime. I will post some drawings soon.

[color=red]I have been thinking about a fiberglass shell for the side walls & roof, with 1â€
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Re: Northern Utah - Hopeful of modified version of Campster

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:54 am

[quote="Archeo Robert"]

[color=red]I have been thinking about a fiberglass shell for the side walls & roof, with 1â€
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Archeo Robert » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 am

John,

Thanks for the ideas and comments. Your trailer looks pretty comfortable
and has cool look to it. I had thought of 6" wide and doing the main bed front to back with a couple of smaller beds side to side. But like you say 6" more inches in width would make a better floor plan.

I guess for me the big question; If your pulling 72" wide what difference would 78" be?

I guess that will be one of the many questions I will need to come to terms with.

I have not been able to find the "Gaston" as of yet.

For those intersted these little videos of the T@B make a compelling
case for going wider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdqBnAF ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3_sDkC ... re=related

Thanks again for nudging me to look at 78" wide.
Archeo Robert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Archeo Robert » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Here is a taller modified version of the Campster 12
with a modified front to give more room.

Where to put the kids portable beds?

Where do I put the kitchen now?

Some nice seating optons

This is 72" wide

Just some basic pics of the ideas ihave been playing with so far.
My compliments to the designers of the Campster 12
Archeo Robert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rlowell » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:56 pm

8) Welcome Robert, get ready to get "Hooked" on this forum!!
There is so much to see and to learn from the wealth of sharing available here.

You might keep in mind the K.I.S.S. system, and that a tear drop is just a step above a tent, as so many have stated in here. (I also need to keep that in mind and stay focused.) The simpler you stay, the sooner you will have more fun camping.

I have over built on my first build because of the heat and humidity in Florida; needing insulation for the A/C. You can see that in my build photos.

The kids will have a blast helping dad build. Above all, you, have fun.
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Archeo Robert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:08 am

Rod

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
It is easy to get carried away and never get any where.
I have been building things for other people for over 30 years and
have found that its even harder to build things for myself.
So I guess this means to build a teardrop and not try and create
a Fabergé egg.

Thanks,
Robert
Archeo Robert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rlowell » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:42 am

8) Robert,
For me I found that a 5x9.5x4 was large enough for a queen size mattress for sleeping three. I thought of putting in a bunk or a slide-out but with only the three of us...

Your double bunk in front looks nice and as small as the kids are you should get several years of good use with that design. Do you really need a large camper? I know there is a lot to think about...it took me almost two years to make up my mind. Look around in here and you will find something that is close to what you need...then do it your way. As you could tell, I chose to go with the "Weekender" designed by Mike. It gave me the room and style to go with my tow vehicle. Just my 2 cents and I am running off at the mouth...again.

Have fun and good luck.
Rod
p.s. I grew up in the Salt Lake Valley and do miss the mountains!
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Archeo Robert » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:55 am

Rod,

I agreee there are alot of great well developed plans on this site.
I have thought about making areally fun smaller one and perhaps moving on the bigger one after I work through what is the most important features to include. I guess every thing has a trade off.

I hope that you get chances to come back to visit the mountains.
The climate and things that you can do in Florida are likely pretty nice too.

thanks,
Robert
Archeo Robert
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves