Windows - crank-out or slider

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Windows - crank-out or slider

Postby EZ » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:57 am

I am hoping to get some windows so that I can finish planning the sides of my camper. There are some fairly inexpensive mobile home vertical slider windows at

http://www.mobile-mart.com/window.htm

for between $24-$35. Not sure this is what I need. I am wondering if crank open is more practical in the rain, or if slider-type is more practical when it's hot. $40-$50 plus shipping for a window is too much for my budget I think.

I am also thinking on checking some truck topper stores locally and maybe some RV sellers as well as Lowes for shed windows. Haven't seen any at Menards or Home Depot. I was thinking of one in the door (only 1 door) and a little larger on the other side combined with a roof vent.

Anyone have an idea on an inexpensive window?

EZ
EZ
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:10 pm

the shed windows from the box stores are probably the cheapest way to go...crankouts work better in most rain situations however you can get rain diverters for cheap from an RV place that will make sliders almost as useful
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SmokeyBob » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:28 pm

EZ
Here is what the mibile home windows look like.

Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Check Out Grant Whipp

Postby Guy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:21 pm

EZ, check out Grant Whipp's site. Grant is a member of this board and has some of the finest equipment for windows at the lowest prices. He is not only a really nice guy, he also is extremely knowledgeable about teardrops. Everyone only speaks well of their business dealings with Grant.

http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/parts.html
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:44 pm

EZ-

Since I posted the Mobile Mart link in the "sources of supply" I can attest to the vertical sliders they sell!

I've got 4 of 'em in my C'tear (one mounted vert. in each door, one front & rear firewall mounted horizontally).

They can also be mounted horizontally, you just have to grind/mill a drainage slot with a Dremel tool...

GOOD DEAL, GREAT SERVICE!

They are safety glass & my front window has taken more than one road debris hit (I don't have a shield)!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Re: Check Out Grant Whipp

Postby TomS » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Guy wrote:EZ, check out Grant Whipp's site. Grant is a member of this board and has some of the finest equipment for windows at the lowest prices. He is not only a really nice guy, he also is extremely knowledgeable about teardrops. Everyone only speaks well of their business dealings with Grant.

http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/parts.html

I used Grant's windows in my tear. I'm very happy with them. They're good quality windows. Well worth the money.

I also used his Hurrican hinge and am happy with it also.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm still undecided as to cheap MH vertical sliders that I can get locally, the crank-out, or RV horizontal sliders. The VS windows are $20 to $28 depending on the size. I've looked at the crankouts at Lil Bear, and if I use crankouts, that's where I'll get them. I'm picking up my RV door and axle at Redneck Trailers soon, and they sell RV sliders (up to 18" x 42", which is what I'd use) and I'm checking their prices. I'd have no shipping to pay if I buy from them.

I'd like to know more about rain diverters. Are these like an awning? I thought about making detachable awnings from striped canvas as I think they'd look cool.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:03 pm

Dale, they are similar to the little thingie(tech term) that go around auto windows except they are straight and go right above the door or window, protruding out about 1.2 inches
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby surveytech » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:41 pm

Dale,
If you pick up at "Broke and Poor" be certain to check windows for square.
I found some there that were way out of square.
Keep digging and you will find some good ones.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:55 pm

EZ

I looked for a couple of months for windows that were quality and cheap. I mean, really searched. I finally gave in and ordered from Grant. I couldn't be happier with the windows. You know small crank out windows from some factory sources were $125 per window or more. So as it turned out Grant was the best deal... I was just having a hard time with the shipping cost.... Turned out that the windows were packaged really well, and arrived in perfect condition, not bad considering they came from Nor Cal to Florida... Not only that they were exactly what I wanted.

When I finish my TD I'll probably have about $3,500 or so in it. When it comes to $$ spent I try to satisfy myself, could of done it cheaper, but it just wouldn't have been what I wanted. If what you want are sliders, lots of choices available, and some arn't too expensive. Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

good question

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:57 pm

I wondered about checking a local rv, parts, or salvage place for rv or truck camper type windows, but wondered if that was even a good idea or if it would really be saving any money. I too am getting closer to STARTING to build mine and making decisions on windows. I think I'll try to do sliders just because there will be no chance of having the door bang wide open against the side of the tear and scratching or worse yet , breaking a glass pane! Yes, I do plan on putting a leather strap or something on the door to limit it's opening stretch....

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby c_mac » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:26 pm

I picked up sliders as well as door hardware and door trim at Camp Inn last week. I used their template for cutting out my doors. Cary was great to work with. He stopped and pulled the items right away when I showed up unannounced. He also showed me around his shop and answered a ton of questions. The quality of everything is great!
c_mac
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm

I used the RV sliders from TJ trailers. I would have gone with Grants but I was afraid I'd leave them cranked open and hit the side of the trailer when I opened the door. Between Jean and I, it was a given that it would happen. I'd use a door stand off or stop if you put crank outs in your doors.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42 pm

we also used the sliders from TJTrailers...good quality units...slides on both side, locks on the insides and screened...I found out later that I could have gotten the same sliders for less from my local welding/steel supply house as they are a distributor for RedNeck Trailers as is TJTrallers...so thoroughly shop around for whatever you get
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:26 am

I was concerned about the crank out window in the door, also. a couple of eye hooks and some rope took care of that problem.... even without the window, I would not want the door slamming against the body anyway.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques