Water Tank Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Water Tank Question

Postby kartvines » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:50 pm

I just got my tank back from the weld shop. They had to repair the leaks. It is the stock 7 gallon stainless steel tank that came original with my 65 Scad-A-Bout.
Now that the repairs have been made and the tank has been tested for additional problems, I have a question regarding cleaning the inside of the tank. What is normally used to clean the tank to ready it for re-installation for it be safe for drinking water? I thought I would use a bleach solution. I also wondered if there is something I could line the interior of the tank with. When I used to build Harley's, there was a product that you sealed the tank with to protect the interior of the tank. Feed back and ideas welcomed. I don’t want to install it without cleaning it first. Once it is in it will be there for good, don’t want to have to ever remove it again for any reason.

:thinking:
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby emiller » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:55 pm

8) I use to use my tank for drinking but have switched to buying drinking water in gallon jugs, I just feel better that way, wouldn't want to get sick during a camping trip or vacation. Just me and my thoughts.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby kartvines » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:00 pm

That makes sense, is this tank only meant for cooking and or cleaning? Never have used the Teardrop yet, had no real idea what the tank was suppose to be used for. I would only only guess it was for multi purpose.
does anyone use it for anything else?
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby emiller » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:20 pm

Well back in its day water was free so I 'm not sure there was bottled water like today but I use mine for washing dishes and my hands.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:50 pm

KV...you could have it steamed out, you could use a bleach solution and I believe that the RV places sell a cleansing solution to periodically clean and sanitize RV water tanks, as long as you periodically clean the tank and put fresh water in it for each use, you will probably be safe using it for all your needs...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby gman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 pm

That tank sealer was for fuel tanks I believe, not water, you can also throw in a box of denture cleaning tablets. I use those to clean my SS thermos and the toilet tank as well :lol:
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:03 pm

I don't know how well this will relate to your tank, but...

I use stainless steel syrup kegs for kegging homebrew. Chlorine bleach is a great disinfectant and its used to sanitize everything when your're making beer. Except for the stainless steel kegs. Chlorine supposedly will corrode the SS over time. Iodine is recommended as a substitute sanitizer for SS.
FWIW,
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:40 pm

KV-

Maybe the best solution is to buy a cheap collapsible folding water jug like this:

http://tinyurl.com/bb4u3

They come in various sizes, just fold/roll it up, slip it into the tank and use as a liner?

You get the protection of the liner and maintain the stock look...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:42 pm

I agree with bdosborn
, DO NOT USE BLEACH ON STAINLESS STEEL. I also keg homebrew in ss kegs and I go to to the local fleet farm store and get what the farmers use for their milk tanks. A gallon cost about $10 to $15 and you only use and oz to 5 gal of water. I would look up the name of the product but it could change localy. Just ask or read the lables for what is used to sanitize milk tanks.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:47 pm

Bruce is spot on reference chlorine corroding Stainless, For tank clening I reccomend miltons dont know if its available in US though (or maybe under a different name?)
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:22 pm

BrwBier wrote:<snip> I also keg homebrew in ss kegs <snip>

BrwBier,

Hey, I just noticed but, isn't that an all grain setup in your avatar? We need to talk! :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby raru » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:58 am

bdosborn wrote:
BrwBier wrote:<snip> I also keg homebrew in ss kegs <snip>

BrwBier,

Hey, I just noticed but, isn't that an all grain setup in your avatar? We need to talk! :lol:
Bruce

do any of you two have a keg setup in your tear? i'm looking into getting a kegging system and think the new 2.5 gallon corny's would be perfect. :D
Raul
raru
Teardrop Builder

Postby BILLYL » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:53 am

Listen to the homebrews - As a brewer we use caustic to clean our SS Fermentors and Bright tanks. With our CIP system (clean in place) we add hot water and casutic and let it sit. Then to get rid of the beer stone - hit it with phos acid (food grade) You should avoid the bleach! Stay away from the bleach. And don't forget when you use any of these chemicals make sure you have some eye protection and wear rubber gloves - this stuff is nasty. And one final thing - rinse well with water between chemicals.

Now that it is clean you could then hit the tank with a solution of Idophor - this will santize the tank and make it ready for use.

Hope this helps
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby emiller » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:00 am

Has anyone woundered what other people have use the water hose you are filling your tank with, seams alot of people think because they clean there tank the water is clean. I had to tell on a camper one time when I saw him rinseing out his portable toilet with the clean water hose. Even my own home I came home and a pickup that sprays chemicals for pest control had my hose in the tank filling up. You just never know and thats when i started buying bottled water for trips.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:01 am

raru wrote:do any of you two have a keg setup in your tear? i'm looking into getting a kegging system and think the new 2.5 gallon corny's would be perfect. :D

I love this man.

What's a corny, though?

I was thinking of building a tap into my galley to accommodate those little mini-kegs that they sell everywhere. (Like a gallon?) Basically just drill a hole in the counter, and insert the tap into the little keg which is sitting in an under-counter cabinet that can hold ice.

Bud doesn't make those kegs, but you can't have everything.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to General Discussion