Modified design question

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Postby teardrop_focus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:58 pm

I just bought a 1976 Fiat 128 sedan. The car can hold the whole family, but can I still tow and build a TD that can hold us all?

Welcome!

:vroom:

A teardrop light enough to tow well (and stop safely) behind a 4-banger is a two-up affair.

Building a tear stretched the other way, larger to accomodate two adults and two children, would dictate the use of a Tow Vehicle with at least a 1500-lb tow capacity. General rule of thumb otherwise would be to keep the fully-loaded teardrop to within one-third the curb weight of the TV.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Danno » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm still around. Still in the planning stages. Car isn't driving, yet, so I still have time, lol. BTW, curb weight as listed online for the 1976 128 is 1653-1697 lbs...
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danno » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:55 pm

So, I'm still around. I have been deliberating between this design and a "Puffin" standee that could fit us all. I finally have decided to go ahead with this smaller one first and if that build goes well, then I might start to acquire what i need for the larger one.

So, I might start building in the next month, or I might get caught up with other things (I'm in the middle of about 30 projects, lol), but In case I make a trip to the big box store to get supplies for another project I thought I'd at least get a better understanding of what I need for plywood on this thing.

Since I want it to be fairly lightweight and simple to build, would it be appropriate to use 3/4 floor, 1/2 walls and 1/4 roof?

How about 1/2 floor and 1/4 walls/roof?

I want to keep the floor as low as possible because I'm trying to keep overall height low. any bracing or thickness I put between the trailer frame and the floor will reduce headroom.
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Modified design question

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am

I am
looking at a very light canned ham. If you look in the vintage plans area at the Wanderpup and the Wanderbug, you will see they were built with 1/4" walls, 1/2"-5/8" floor, and 1/8"-3/16" roof, single wall construction. I think the Wanderpup estimates the finished weight at 700 pounds, and the Wanderbug says "under 1000 pounds." A tear should be able to be built with those plywood sizes if a canned ham can be.

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Danno » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for that, Catherine. I think maybe I'll do 1/2" floor, 1/4" walls. If I can get by with a single sheet of 1/8" on the roof, that's what I'll do for weight reasons.

I need to make a trip to a couple of places to see what they carry, but I think that should be fairly cheap. I just need to decide how I'm going to finish the wood so I know what grade I need to get on the faces.
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Danno » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 am

ok, next question in the design is how do I attach the roof to the sides?

I want to maximize my interior space, so I was wondering about spars or horizontal bracing for the roof. I've decided on 1/2 floor and 1/4 sides and roof.

Since it's only spanning 40",
1. do I need horizontal bracing?
2. should the roof rest on top of the sides, or between the sides?
3. could I get by with 1x2s for the curve of the side and screw the top into that? if so, can I get 1x2s to bed easily enough?
4. Will 1/4 plywood bend the tight radius you see in the plan above?

I've looked at some other builds, but just am temporarily struggling with this. anyone have any advice?
Danno
Teardrop Advisor

Re:

Postby classic2cv » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:30 am

Aaron Coffee wrote:I am buidling #2 on what used to be a 40 x 48 trialer, I stretched the frame out to 80 inchs.
I will also be stretching the tongue an additional 2 foot.

did you finish this trailer ? i like the strippy pattern :D

Kurt
classic2cv
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Traditional Designs