110v Exterior "Porch" light.

Anything electric, AC or DC

110v Exterior "Porch" light.

Postby Jimbo » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:29 am

I am thinking about not including any 12v wiring outside of the running lights on my TD. I will always be camping where there is shore power so it seems like a waste. I have found some nice interior lights but can't find anything that will work for a porch light. I thought about getting a 12v light and modifying a 120v nightlight to work with it but would rather find something better suited out of the box. Any suggestions?
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Chip » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:51 am

Jimbo,,let your mind relax and look at making lighting out of anything,,,I bought a 12v patio light that is for step light, low voltage to hook into a 120v power,,I just cut the wire and hooked directly into the 12v line,, works great,,,or adapt anything with a wiring kit for exterior service,,heck cut a soup can in half and stick a single christmas light bulb in it and fasten it to the outside upside down,,waa laa Campbells pourch light,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: 110v Exterior "Porch" light.

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:34 pm

Jimbo wrote:I am thinking about not including any 12v wiring outside of the running lights on my TD. I will always be camping where there is shore power so it seems like a waste. I have found some nice interior lights but can't find anything that will work for a porch light. I thought about getting a 12v light and modifying a 120v nightlight to work with it but would rather find something better suited out of the box. Any suggestions?

Way not go with a low voltage system, the type most hardware or building supplies has. There is a transformer to covert the 120v ac to 12v ac that can be installed anywhere in the TD and run all the lights off of it. They make a lot of good-looking fixtures for this type of outdoor/patio lighting. Other fixtures with small screw bulbs can be easy converted by replacing the 120v bulbs with 12 ones.
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Eagle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:41 pm

Chuck,

I see where it would solve the interior lighting problem. What about hooking it up to an auto fuse box and running wire off of that? Could you run a radio off that system also?

Oh well, too tired to think. Say good night, Eagle!

Thanks,

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:00 pm

Yes but you need to rectify the 12-v ac to dc. But the better way would to go to Radio Shack or an electronic supply house like Jamco and bye a 12-v power supply, to replace the low voltage transformer. Then you have 12-dc and can run lamp type lights, LED lights, portable florescent lights or any thing that runs on 12v dc. You just need to get a power supply big enough to handle the total load. You can even run the small LCD auto TV / DVD sets. All from the supply plugged in to the shore powers 120-v ac. One could add the battery if needed later!
Chuck :P
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Eric Adams » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:24 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:Yes but you need to rectify the 12-v ac to dc. But the better way would to go to Radio Shack or an electronic supply house like Jamco and bye a 12-v power supply, to replace the low voltage transformer. Then you have 12-dc and can run lamp type lights, LED lights, portable florescent lights or any thing that runs on 12v dc. You just need to get a power supply big enough to handle the total load. You can even run the small LCD auto TV / DVD sets. All from the supply plugged in to the shore powers 120-v ac. One could add the battery if needed later!
Chuck :P

Shore power stable? Always see surge protectors, etc on RV catalogs. Also, a reg rv park 110v hookup 3-prong like a reg outlet or are they made special and you need a adapter?
Eric Adams
The 300 Club

Postby RC » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:10 am

Wow!!! Not the light you were looking for (probably), but this one is COOL!!! It has a bulb for 12 volts in it, and it has a bulb for 110 volts in it also, and it looks like it isn't a space hog.
You can find it here http://www.swego.com/mall/pluto_8816-e14.asp
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:00 pm

Chuck,

AC not DC, what a difference a letter makes. Should have read your post not skim over it. :oops: :oops:

What do you think about running everything on 110 AC except the lighting? And what type of lighting do you recommend? I was thinking maybe flourescent tubes, but do not know anything about the 12v DC flavor. Could you get white LED's bright enough to read a book by? Do not know much about LED's either.

Thinking about surge protected 110v AC and 12v battery system.

Thanks for keeping me pointed in the right direction. :wink:

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:12 pm

If you turn in a low cost entry and win you wouldn't have to worry about the lights... :lol:

Actually any incadecent or xenon lighting would work. I used the same lights as Joseph... http://www.sailboatstuff.com/lt_xenonca ... ivberthlgt

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:38 pm

Eagle wrote:Chuck,

AC not DC, what a difference a letter makes. Should have read your post not skim over it. :oops: :oops:

What do you think about running everything on 110 AC except the lighting? And what type of lighting do you recommend? I was thinking maybe flourescent tubes, but do not know anything about the 12v DC flavor. Could you get white LED's bright enough to read a book by? Do not know much about LED's either.

Thinking about surge protected 110v AC and 12v battery system.

Thanks for keeping me pointed in the right direction. :wink:

Surge protection is a good idea no mater what you are using shore power to run. Most campgrounds have there wiring under sized. The worst are county campgrounds as they never were setup for the motor homes that use 5000 watts, like a houses do. I would think of using a GFI breaker as the main if you wire the tear with 120v ac power. Build up a small breaker box with several circuits to power the teardrop. If you are going with just 12v lights then the low voltage lights work good. LED’s in the right fixture can be blinding, should have no problem reading by LED light! Set up the LED lights in one of those custom van adjustable spot light fixtures "map light fixtures", that should work good for reading.
Chuck

Eagle
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:16 pm

Chuck,

Map light fixtures sound great!!! Two or three of those and a dome light and I think the interior will be well light. Another two or three in the galley and I think it will good to go. Do you think the breaker on a hair dryer would be OK? Thought I would use this and an extention cord to get the ac power to it. Maybe put a breaker on the A/C unit and one for the TV etc. and one for the galley.

Got a new 120v ac A/C unit at Lowe's today. I thought for the $40 mark down price, I could not go wrong.

Hey, Chuck, I vote for you as the forum Electrical Guru. :idea: Maybe we can get Mike to change your tag from builder to TD EG. :D

Thanks for the HELP!!!!!!!!!

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jimbo » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:27 pm

Wow, thanks for all the ideas. Not sure which way I'll go but looks like there are lots of options out there.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:03 pm

Eagle wrote:Chuck,

Map light fixtures sound great!!! Two or three of those and a dome light and I think the interior will be well light. Another two or three in the galley and I think it will good to go. Do you think the breaker on a hair dryer would be OK? Thought I would use this and an extention cord to get the ac power to it. Maybe put a breaker on the A/C unit and one for the TV etc. and one for the galley.

Eagle

AC That’s not camping. That’s the live of Riley!
Look at your house wiring. It has a main breaker and sub breakers. That is what you need to do only smaller for the power inside your teardrop.
You should be able to find a small sub breaker box at a home supply center. For the main breaker, which may have to be in a separate box use a GFI type.
The ground for the AC power comes from the extinction cord. Run a common ground to all the devices you are powering. Just like in your house.
Be careful not to over load the shore power. Most are only 15amps.
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:30 pm

Chuck,

Life of Riley!!! You BET!!! Spent a lot of time in the ole tent when my son was younger. I want some comfort and staying compact.

Forgot about the GROUND wire. That is sort of important. :wink:

The 15 amp as a limit is a good thing to know. So, how would you wire up a breaker box with A/C, heating source, TV, etc.? Breaker amps to what etc.

Thanks,

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:51 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the sailboatstuff site. I am worried that heat with lighting. I know incandescent and halogen lights get HOT. Imagine Xenon would as well. Do you know how many LED's it would take to make a good reading lamp? (I know that sounds like a joke in there somewhere).

Lots of goodies on the sailboatstuff site.

Thanks,

Eagle
Eagle
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets