Sink faucet idea

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Sink faucet idea

Postby Georgeandpat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:40 am

I don't know if this is a crazy idea but I would welcome some feedback. I am in the process of installing a sink and faucet in my tear. Space is tight (bet you never heard that one before) and I've been mulling over where to put the faucet handle. Since my sink is to the far left side of the Galley, it occurred to me that I could place the faucet handle just to the left of the sink outside of the galley on the left side of the trailer(kind of a drinking fountain arrangement). It is within easy reach as one stands in front of the sink, gives the sink area a "cleaner" look, and water from wet hands would drip on the outside of the trailer when turning off the faucet. I could have a shut-off below the sink to prevent unwanted activation. :thinking: George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Re: Sink faucet idea

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:49 am

Georgeandpat wrote:I don't know if this is a crazy idea but I would welcome some feedback. I am in the process of installing a sink and faucet in my tear. Space is tight (bet you never heard that one before) and I've been mulling over where to put the faucet handle. Since my sink is to the far left side of the Galley, it occurred to me that I could place the faucet handle just to the left of the sink outside of the galley on the left side of the trailer(kind of a drinking fountain arrangement). It is within easy reach as one stands in front of the sink, gives the sink area a "cleaner" look, and water from wet hands would drip on the outside of the trailer when turning off the faucet. I could have a shut-off below the sink to prevent unwanted activation. :thinking: George.

George,
The beauty of building it yourself is you can put that faucet anywhere you want, and if you don't like it or can't stand the ridicule, you can also move it. You know you might have come up with a great invation that will be incorporated as a "standard" on teardrops in the future. There are lots of those right here on the forum.

I say go for it
Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:58 am

Thanks Steve, Yes I could always move it, but then I have a hole to cover. I'd prefer to get it right the first time, especially as I'm going through the aluminum skin. :) I guess my concern is that I'm missing some not-so-obvious reason why I shouldn't do this :o . George
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am

George, how is your water being fed? With a pump? Or gravity?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:06 am

My addendum:

The reason I ask is that as I'm planning mine, I want a water supply that will not only provide water to the sink, but also to locations on the SIDE of the TD away from the galley--to wash off other stuff, to shower, etc.

This may be as simple as getting a hose with a threaded connection to hook up to your faucet, but that extra use for your water supply is something to consider.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Georgeandpat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:18 am

Ira, As much as I like the gravity idea I feel that its too late for that now and besides, it would either take up too much valuable space or affect the streamline look of the trailer. I will be using a tank with a pump mounted below the trailer where there is lots of room. I will also have an exterior connection to utilize water from a hose bib. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:37 am

You sound like you're all cool then. I just wanted to mention that additional outside water supply, which I think will come in pretty handy at times.

I get your idea about putting the handles on the exterior, but I think that after time, although it may be practical in some ways, you're gonna find it a little weird. Know what I mean?

Different strokes for different folks, so that's just an opinion. Plus, how do you think it will look? Faucet handles over that great aluminum?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:35 pm

I used a faucet for filtered water from the home center. It doesn't take up much room and it doesn't flow a huge amount of water. I have cabinets over the sink so I needed something that would swivel out of the way of the cabinet doors.
I put in a sprayer too but I wouldn't bother with it if I had to do it over. Its just too easy to makes a mess with it and the handle gets goopy when you're using it.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:20 pm

I found a tiny faucet with a switch built in at JC Whitney. It came with a 1.5 GPM pump and cost about $25.
ClickyTiny faucet/switch/pump

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:I found a tiny faucet with a switch built in at JC Whitney. It came with a 1.5 GPM pump and cost about $25.
ClickyTiny faucet/switch/pump

Steve 8)

Steve that is what we will be using when it comes to use one...one thing about that pump, is that it is not self priming...it was made to screw into the bottom of a water tank or mount at the lowest level of the tank
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:00 am

madjack wrote:...one thing about that pump, is that it is not self priming...it was made to screw into the bottom of a water tank or mount at the lowest level of the tank
madjack 8)

Yup, my 9 gallon water tank was made with a place to screw the pump into it, I always thought the best place for the pump was as close to the source as possible. (note to self - water tank should be in a containment space with a drain hole, no need for getting everything wet if the pump fails) ;)

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Bruce, That is a nice setup you have. I thought about locating my faucet in between the cabinet and drawer also but wound up mounting it to the far left (sink on left side) against the bulkhead. It swivels against the wall so it is out of the way of the cabinets. I've pretty much decided this weekend to mount the faucet handle on the outside of the teardrop. My wife doesn't like the idea but she just doesn't recognize genius when she sees it. If nothing else, it should add to the uniqueness of my tear (maybe a first?) Pictures next weekend. :thinking: George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby fornesto » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:13 pm

If you want a clean look, you can install an arcade-style button for the water supply. I just used one and it sits flush with the counter, but you could also install it into the side. It greatly reduces the amount of water used/wasted because it only pumps while you're pushing the button.

I used red to match my color scheme and bought it for about $5 at a local electronics store.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 pm

here is a pic of our steam table sink and JC Whitney faucet
madjack 8)

...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Juneaudave » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 pm

Madjack...that's really looking good!!!!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion