I find a sink today or die trying...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

I find a sink today or die trying...

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:47 am

Of course, ANOTHER change of plans today. I wanted to finish a bunch of electrical work, but since wife and younger son are away until tomorrow, I don't want to leave my older one alone at home for too long while I was at the boatyard playing around.

Since I took Jack's (and others') advice about my electrical panel and didn't die (so far), I decided to once again take Jack's advice and go to Restaurant Depot today to find a stainless steel serving/buffet tray that can function as a sink. I want something very functional in size, pretty deep, and since I only have 12" of counter depth to work with (I can go as wide as I want), this ain't an off-the-shelf item.

This has been hanging over my head for MONTHS--even disrupting my concentration during those intimate moments with my wife that occur every every other month or so--so I HAVE to find one already.

For my wife's sake.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Georgeandpat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:16 am

Ira, I had some pretty limited space for my sink as well. I found a big selection of shapes and sizes on e-bay. I found a nice faucet there as well and am getting ready to install it. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:27 am

George--I check eBay for sinks as often as a major stockholder checks the ticker. I'm there EVERY day looking.

And nothing.

I only have 12" of depth. (Maybe 1/2" more, but let's not cut it THAT close.)The only thing I've seen that comes even a little close is a Blanco, which is pretty expensive and way too small. I don't want oval--I want a DEEP rectangular, and the only rectangulars at 12" deep are also narrower than 12", and ridiculously shallow. And this is one item I refuse to pay a lot for--I'll be paying/have been paying a lot for ENOUGH stuff already.

Also, I don't need the faucet cutouts. I'm going to be using a Hot Water on Demand unit, so I'll be building/placing everything around that functionality.

I really want The Crab to be able to function as a major rolling kitchen, and a big sink is a big part of that. When I get totally disgusted with Corporate America (well, MORE disgusted than I already am), I may chuck that idea and use The Crab to sell crab cakes, crab rolls, crab WHATEVER at various festivals and such.

I may even invent a KOSHER crab so I can hit the synagogues during PURIM!!!
Last edited by Ira on Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:28 am

Speaking of crabs..........

CRAB!

;)
Last edited by Ken A Hood on Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:30 am

Ken A Hood wrote:Found this SINK and their in Fla..

Nautical Theme...

;)

Thanks, Ken. But see above. That one is too small AND too big!

And I've seen that wine holder, and dozens of others, a million times on eBay. Will buy when the time is right.

Every Monday, I do a "crab" search on eBay, and those bottle holders always show up.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Green Hornet » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:43 am

By all means...get r done!
Are you going to have to drill a hole out of the stainless steel for a drain?
I have seen some 12" diam. sinks in porcelin and s/s. Round. Ready for the drain.Some marine outlets have em, or can get em. Of course when you talkin marine, yer talkin mo green!
Good luck :)
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:51 am

Yep, Hornet. Gonna have to drill that hole, so if I get lucky today, I'll be back to ask the best way to do THAT.

Staying AWAY from the marine stores, but the weird thing is, with the configuration I want, you can't find it at the RV or the box stores either.

So this is the ONLY route I can take.

Except that I was even considering finding a standard Rubbermaid plastic unit in the right size, making my counter cutout for that, dropping it in so it would actually be removable, and doing it that way.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:07 am

Ira, are you planning on having a drain installed as well? Since I used to work in a restaurant, I plan on using the stainless inserts from a steam table [chafing dish]. They come in various sizes and depths, and no plumbing [drain] means no leaks, and extra storage below. This one is 6" deep.

Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:10 am

Ken, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I said buffet tray, but that's what I meant. But I do plan to put a drain in.

There's a Restaurant Depot right near me, and it's a long story how I came about my membership card.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Grey Duck » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:08 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:Speaking of crabs..........

CRAB!

;)

Maybe this?

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/ ... d=13220973

Robert
I should put pontoons under my teardrop then I could lay in bed and fish out the door.
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Postby goldcoop » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Ira wrote:Thanks, Ken. But see above. That one is too small AND too big!

Gezz Ira!

You got that whole "Goldielox" thing going on :lol:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:25 pm

I got mine from here
http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/sinks-d ... ories.html

Not the cheapest one in the world but it sounds like what you're looking for. I got the drain plumbing there too.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:24 pm

For what its worth I used a Stainless Steel Salad bowl for a sink once. Got it at a dollar store. Just cut a hole in the bottom for a drain & siliconed it into place. Cost all of about $5. There are larger ones than I used in the photo.

http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/len19 ... it%20photo

I will tell you this, I never used the sink once I had it. It actially got in the way. Counter space is just to valuable. I'd try the cheep one first, if you feel the need for a larger one you can still put it in.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:06 pm

Houston, do we have liftoff for 29 bucks at Northern Tool? Check this out:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... arch=15996

First, the dimensions are PERFECT for my setup. Second, it has an included 110V pump. Finally, with lid down, you now have your counter space back to put your beers on--I mean, to prepare your organically grown salad.

Am I brilliant or what?

Maybe not, because there are a few things I can't figure out from their description of this item:

Does it have a water inlet fitting? Like, where does it take the feed from? Is there a drain hole here? Do you think I can easily remove the on/off switch for the pump, and mount it in the countertop?

And finally, looking at the picture, what's that "thing" that appears at the rear of the bottom? Like the bottom doesn't look flat, but instead, there's like a ledge there.

This totally kills my past plans to have hot water in the galley. but for now and for this cheap, I can always get the Hot Water on Demand unit down the road. I just wish Northern wasn't such a far drive from me, so I could check it out. Maybe HF has something similar.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:12 pm

Ira that's a great price on a parts washer. The pump circulates the liquid, picks it up in the bottom of the pan and pumps it out the flexible tube with the nozzle. Usually some type of solvent is what is used in it to wash bearings and other mechanical parts. Why not use it for a sink? When I lived on a boat, I washed lots of engine parts in the galley sink...

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion