Living full-time in a teardrop trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I don't think I could do years in a tear. I just acquired a little more floor space due to me building a wall cabinet. Got rid of a half filled box and plan on using it for a laundry bin. That will have a good lid and goes out on the back door.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

I mean after all, my cargo is only three feet short of a fiberglass trailer.

Oh I also have a job and it is now less then 200 feet away from me now. I am in the company lot for now. I just can't afford to pay rent. And if I was to get another job I would only be paying for storage then. I would just rather live in my trailer. With the added floor space my furnace works better.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Next thing I am planning is to get the bed made smaller. That will be after the insulation is added.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
slowcowboy wrote:I think russ does in penns state. hes on the hows russ doing tread and is known as pennstaterailroad or something hes been living in his all winter long with a generator and the hole works as a he has no house and has to work a long ways from his oringal home.

Slowcowboy.

Hold on there cowboy :lol:

Russ is the guy in the cargo trailer, not that it makes much difference when the wind is blowing and it's 0 degrees outside.

We have a a few people over the years live full time in a teardrop, the longest running fulltimer I know is Guy who has Teardrops for Vet's . He has taken teardrop living and made an art out of it.

YEP I think it makes a world of difference between a cargo and a tear. As long as you have a good furnace. (not a blue flame) anyone should do fine. Comfortable: I am yes! In a tear probably not.

Also not that if we had a foot of snow I would still be above the top at the door. My trailer sits high. I can't imagine a tear in a foot of snow.Oh when the wind blows all it does is lull me to sleep.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby goramsey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:12 pm

A foot of snow. No way. I nix the snow. That is going a bit to far for me.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

Postby grant whipp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Where there's a will, there's a way!
If you live in the Southwest, or can spend your time following the sun, then living full-time in a teardrop shouldn't be a big deal (getting caught in the occasional rain storm or snow fall only adds to the adventure ... IF you are prepared!).
Most folks who do, however, do so in rather large teardrops ... I'm in the planning stages of one that is intended to accommodate two of us, full-time, and it'll be 7'x12', outside shower, traditional outside galley (inside microwave, though), inside porta-potty, and comfortable seating inside without having to mess with the bed. We're planning on following the sun, but will carry an EZ-Up tent with sides and a catalytic propane heater should the need arise.
Bottom line is, plan carefully and you can make your trailer suit your needs ... but don't expect to pull it with a Prius ... :shock: ...!

Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 pm

grant whipp wrote:Where there's a will, there's a way!
If you live in the Southwest, or can spend your time following the sun, then living full-time in a teardrop shouldn't be a big deal (getting caught in the occasional rain storm or snow fall only adds to the adventure ... IF you are prepared!).
Most folks who do, however, do so in rather large teardrops ... I'm in the planning stages of one that is intended to accommodate two of us, full-time, and it'll be 7'x12', outside shower, traditional outside galley (inside microwave, though), inside porta-potty, and comfortable seating inside without having to mess with the bed. We're planning on following the sun, but will carry an EZ-Up tent with sides and a catalytic propane heater should the need arise.
Bottom line is, plan carefully and you can make your trailer suit your needs ... but don't expect to pull it with a Prius ... :shock: ...!

Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant

Grant,

If it is possible how about sharing this build on the forum. You're not the only one here who aspires to trailer off into the sunset! Good luck with the plan :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Weirdnerd » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I have been living in my teardrop for the last three weeks ( work related and I am too cheap to pay 70 bucks a night for a hotel room ...) the only thing I noticed is the need to find places to take showers ( its hovering between 7 degrees and 20 at night) and to keep the propane bottles filled for the catalytic heater, the rest of the time I spend it at work, so no issues of hanging around on BLM land with nothing to do....also the cold is keeping my food cold in the cooler, so I need to plan in advance what I want for dinner so I can cook it before it freezes... :lol:
This is my build thread...
Weirdnerd's teardrop
Weirdnerd
The 300 Club

That is Jim

Postby ssrjim » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:28 pm

H-Balm wrote:
goramsey wrote:Hi, I have been living in my teardrop since Aug. 1st 2010. I am having a blast. I have been through some of mother natures wild storms this past month in the NV. and So Cal. areas. Whew. I just started another new web site about my travels – Ramseys travels. Check it out. http://www.ramseystravels.com/Welcome.html
As well as my Southern Utah Travel web site http://www.suthernutahtravel.biz.

I went on your site.
I saw this photo.

I am pretty sure this guy is on our forum!

That is me. I don't live full time in my trailer :roll:
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Betsey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Mark72 wrote:Whoa! Minnesota! Man that's gotta be one though cookie! Is there a campground there with heated facilities?

Mark

Nope. His teardrop has a propane furnace. The winters he has spent in MN, he was caretaker of a Boy Scout Reservation. He continued to live out of his tear while there.

Betsey
8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby T@Baker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 pm

iplay10us2 wrote:My friend, Alison, does not do it year-round, but several years ago, she, and her dog, toured the US in her teardrop for about 6 months. The last 2 years, she has been tent camping around the US. She rents her house in CA, and then heads out for about 6 months or so on the road.

Here is a link to her blog:

http://alisontravelsblog.blogspot.com/

She has developed into a wonderful photographer over the past few years.

Alison Turner! I'm Facebook friends with her.
http://www.alisonturnerphoto.com/
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby T@Baker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:24 pm

mary and bob wrote:There was an older lady at last years ADK Tearup with a T@b trailer and I heard that she lived in it full time.

That would be Lorraine Edwards. She is currently volunteering at Wycliffe in FL. They have an RV lot for their volunteers.
http://tabteardroptravels.blogspot.com/
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby H-Balm » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 am

ssrjim,

Knew it was you!
(Small world)
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Re: Living full-time in a teardrop trailer

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:38 am

jon p wrote:I know it will sound silly or ridiculous to some, but does anyone know of someone who lives full-time in a teardrop trailer? Just curious....

I guess me and Dog don't count, huh?
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby iplay10us2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:08 am

T@Baker wrote:
iplay10us2 wrote:My friend, Alison, does not do it year-round, but several years ago, she, and her dog, toured the US in her teardrop for about 6 months. The last 2 years, she has been tent camping around the US. She rents her house in CA, and then heads out for about 6 months or so on the road.

Here is a link to her blog:

http://alisontravelsblog.blogspot.com/

She has developed into a wonderful photographer over the past few years.

Alison Turner! I'm Facebook friends with her.
http://www.alisonturnerphoto.com/

Yes, I've seen your pic on her "We Can" facebook camping page.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion