Question about my Dexter Torsion Axle

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Question about my Dexter Torsion Axle

Postby cracker39 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am

I ordered my Dexter torsion axle without a brake flange. When I got it home, I found that they made the swingarm closer to the frame than I wanted, but I am making my frame 1/2" narrower than originally planned, so this isn't a big problem. But, it has someting on it that I think may be a brake flange, and the inside tire sidewall has more clearance than I asked for. Can anyone tell me if the square piece with the 4 bolt holes in it, inside the yellow circle is a brake flange? If not, what is it?

Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 pm

That would be to bolt your brake backing plate to. If you're not using brakes just ignore it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks, that's what I thought. But, when I made the order, I asked for no brake flange to get a closer clearance on the tire, and they put that on the order I had to sign. It's not really a big deal, but I am ticked that I didn't get what I asked for. I'm not going to make a fuss about it with them, as I don't want to wait another 3 weeks for another axle. At least, the clearance between the inside fender wall and the tire is no longer an issue. I have lots of room to spare now.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:16 pm

That flange not being there wouldn't have changed the length of the spindle. All the ones I used were about the same length whether they had the flange or not.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:38 pm

Nitetimes wrote:That flange not being there wouldn't have changed the length of the spindle. All the ones I used were about the same length whether they had the flange or not.

Someone who manufactures TDs sent me some info on ordering the Dexter axle. I believe it was Grant Whipp at Lil Bear. He said he had been getting the Dexter axle with a short spindle and that I should ask for one with no brake flange and the short spindle to get a closer tire clearance. The tech I talked to at Redneck did say I could get a closer tire clearance without the brake flange, but it didn’t happen. It came with the brake flange on it.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:14 am

Ours were always the same length with or without. Didn't see any mention on their site of them changing the spindle length. Anything is possible tho, really never thought to ask about it. I'm kinda curious as to how much narrower they told you they'd make it tho.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:15 am

I would have preferred the short spindle but I didn't find out about them till I had mine sitting in the back of my truck. I was checking a website and saw that option. The short spindle would have increased the frame mount to swing arm distance.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:03 pm

At least, the clearance between the inside fender wall and the tire is no longer an issue. I have lots of room to spare now.

Dale,

You may want to consider using the brake flange to mount your fender. I've seen pictures here somewhere of a builder who did it that way. You can get a nice close fender to tire clearance that way since the fender moves up and down with the suspension. No need to fuss with inserts/bolts through the body either.

Just a thought,

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Question about my Dexter torsion axles

Postby rooster » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:15 pm

Cracker and all, I would like to use a torsion style axle on my next build. Cracker is using Dexter brand, and what I can see it does not adjust up or down. Steve in his c/d shows a torsion axle that is and runs across to the other side and is adjustable, what brand it is I don't know. Why is one brand better than another? What is the best place to get one or the other?

Jim, :?
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Re: Question about my Dexter torsion axles

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:40 pm

rooster wrote:Cracker and all, I would like to use a torsion style axle on my next build. Cracker is using Dexter brand, and what I can see it does not adjust up or down. Steve in his c/d shows a torsion axle that is and runs across to the other side and is adjustable, what brand it is I don't know. Why is one brand better than another? What is the best place to get one or the other?

Jim, :?

The axle with the adjustable arm is the Flexride axle. The Dexter and Flexride are both pretty much the same except for height adjustment.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Jim, the adjustable unit is a Flexiride available from etrailerparts.com(?)..it is more expensive and shipping from Lubbock Tx is painful...sixrobblees.com, is in your area, I think and carry the Dexter, which is what the cracker has, also check with redneck trailer for the Dexter...they are both good solid dependable units. We are presently using the Flexirde but with shipping it is 100 bucks more than the Dexter...we will use the Dexter on any future builds(probably). With a 0degree start angle and 205-70-15 tires we have around 12/13 inches of ground clearance
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:53 pm

For the benifit of those watching this thread.

Morco trailer products in Kingston, Ontario sells an adjustable torsion axle. You can get a five footer with hubs for $249 Canadian delivery included. Three days delivery to there distributer in Ottawa about 80 miles away.

I'm not sure how far there distribution network is spread. They may be available elsewhere.

Check it out,

http://www.morcoproducts.com/
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:00 pm

Mark, that is a damn good price, I paid 225 + 45 bucks for shipping and that is in USD :cry: ........................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:02 pm

Mark Mckeeman wrote:
At least, the clearance between the inside fender wall and the tire is no longer an issue. I have lots of room to spare now.

Dale,

You may want to consider using the brake flange to mount your fender. I've seen pictures here somewhere of a builder who did it that way. You can get a nice close fender to tire clearance that way since the fender moves up and down with the suspension. No need to fuss with inserts/bolts through the body either.

Just a thought,

Mark

Dale,
This is the site that shows the fender bolted to the brake flange. Your body is going to set over your wheel isn't it?
http://www.retroteardrop.com/project/build/fender1.php

Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:18 pm

Jim,

I got the axle with 10 degree down starting angle. I'm using 13" tires, and should have about 11" ground clearance from the bottom of the frame (9" from the bottom of my bumper extensions) if I computed it correctly. It may go a little higher, but no lower.

Scott,

My wheels and tires will extend outside my frame. Attaching the fender to the brake flange might be doable, but it still won't help with tire changing. I'm still wanting to make my fender outside wall with no cutout, and remove the fender for tire changing. Attaching the fenders to the coach wall with slide "up and off" connectors still seems the best solution.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion