It's a 13" X 22" X 6" deep bouncing baby sink

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

It's a 13" X 22" X 6" deep bouncing baby sink

Postby Ira » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:20 pm

Well, she's actually a glorious stainless PAN like Jack has, for just $20 at Restaurant Warehouse. But once I rip a hole in her and stick that drain in, she's a sink. MY sink.

I had a little bit of a problem putting the seat belt around her on our emotional journey home--and the guy at the store looked a little perplexed when I started to sob from unbridled joy and then offered to buy him dinner (a big FAT guy too)--but it's finally DONE.

I will post a picture later after my wife goes to work, because if I do it now, she will be TOTALLY convinced that I've lost my mind.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:24 pm

Congrats on the new family member!!! :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:33 pm

...congratulation to you and your new acquisition...I just knew you could doit with enough due diligence :D ;) ...didn't the restaurant supply place havva bunch of stuff...I highly recommend to anyone looking for a sink for their tear to checkout their local restaurant supply house...plenty of options and cheap to boot..not too mention all the other goodies they carry
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby stjohn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:43 pm

where are the cigars :P :P :baby: :baby:
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby Ira » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:39 pm

Thank you all for your heartfelt wishes. I am indeed a blessed new father. (If this didn't work, I was going to try in-vitro fertilization.)

But you gotta believe me--I'll do a photo tomorrow. It's late and I'm exhausted and it WOULD be totally nuts for me to photograph a pan right now and upload it.

Jack, I had never even heard of Restaurant Warehouse, only Restaurant Depot--where you have to be a member of the trade (membership card plus sales tax certificate) to purchase. I HAD an RD card for a long time, but never used it. However, I was still able to enter there this past weekend to see a smaller pan for TWICE the money--$40. (Granted, maybe that's made of a better material, better gauge, but looking at and holding the two of them, no big difference.)

Anyway, there's a restaurantwarehouse.com, but nothing for pans came up on the site--and I don't even know if it's the same organization. So my lunchtime bar manager tells me RW has a store just a few blocks away. (Who says it doesn't pay to drink?) It's not a huge store, I walk in, the guy asks me what I'm looking for, and he returns 2 seconds later with the pan, the largest they have.

So Jack, I didn't get to browse, because they were 10 minutes away from closing and as I said above, I was uncontrollably weeping from joy.

But you can bet I'll be back there real soon to look at every single item as I plan out that galley.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:24 am

Ira,
You and Jack convinced me, my 20X10X6 steam table pan will be here tomorrow via fedex. Ordered it Sunday on line, total price with shipping $18 and change. I already had a 15" high dollar stainless bar bar sink I got on ebay, and because I've not planned any part of this build very well, it was too big. At least I can resell it. Wife's been giving me those looks when I tell her the sink doesn't need a drain.... guess I have some choices here. Maybe I should do a poll. Drain, no drain, wife, no wife??? Jack, what does "the poor gurl" have to say about no sink drain?

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:40 am

Steve, the wife(aka the poor girl) and I do a good bit of tent camping and use plastic containers for washing(background info) So one evening, early on,while my partner and I were sitting around brainstorming(very dangerous thing) she said "...hey dummies, how about one of those steam table tray thingies" and the idea was born...she is Ok with or without a drain...if you add a drain to the pan you haveta have something to drain it into...if you don't have a drain then, it's just a dish pan and not a sink...also, no drain forces water conservation since you can't turn the water on and just leave it run
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:53 am

Too late now, but ...
http://www.acitydiscount.com/Commercial ... 45.1.1.htm
33 1/2" wide, 11 1/2 deep and 9" high. Only .99
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:23 am

bledsoe3 wrote:Too late now, but ...
http://www.acitydiscount.com/Commercial ... 45.1.1.htm
33 1/2" wide, 11 1/2 deep and 9" high. Only .99

That's not a sink - that's a swimming pool!! :shock: :shock: :D
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:40 am

He said he wanted it BIG.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:22 am

My wife would kill me if that showed up at the house…so the answer Steve is, no wife.

I'm going with a drain because it's cool and fairly easy to do. (I hope.) Also, there may be times when I want to fill it with ice and stick bottles of beer in there, or perhaps some other alcohoic beverages of choice. It'll be nice for it to be self-draining.

Steve, where did you get your sink so cheap?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:07 am

Ira wrote:Steve, where did you get your sink so cheap?

ABESTKITCHEN.COM
424 W EXCHANGE ST
AKRON, OH 443021711

Madjack wrote:Steve, the wife(aka the poor girl) and I do a good bit of tent camping and use plastic containers for washing(background info) So one evening, early on,while my partner and I were sitting around brainstorming(very dangerous thing) she said "...hey dummies, how about one of those steam table tray thingies" and the idea was born...she is Ok with or without a drain...if you add a drain to the pan you haveta have something to drain it into...

I really like the way she thinks, and I was having the same conversation with my wife about whole drain thing. Would much rather have some drawers or something under the sink instead of a bucket, because I know when the bucket gets full who would have to dump it....
Can't wait until the "sink" gets here, I've been putting off building the galley since before Christmas, and running out of excuses. It has been progressing but only putting in an hour here and and hour there. Most of the time I sit with a beer in hand and look at it. After seeing the collection of galley pictures, it has been hard to decide what to do, there are so many really good ideas. This might be the week to dive in.

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby sunny16 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 am

So if you want a drain, how do you put one in it? Will the supply place cut one in for you? Just wondering how to put a drain in one. I like the idea and it's not expensive. Always looking to cut corners! (Read cost)
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:13 am

You guys should try what Steve Frederick did in his LilDiner (Steve, hope you don't mind)

Being on a slide out, you get extra counter space and can empty the sink easily, and there is NO drain to block the space under it!! GREAT idea Steve!! :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:28 pm

sunny16 wrote:So if you want a drain, how do you put one in it?

The store won't cut it for you, but here's the deal. I spoke to a friend of mine who gave me this advice about cutting that hole:

First, I want a full kitchen-size drain, 3" hole. You can use a smaller 1-inch bar sink drain (1-inch plus?), but I want more flow. That smaller size, you MAY be able to cut with a saw drill (bit), a 1" hole cutter you attach to your drilll. However, this material is a BITCH to cut through, and since I'm going 3", it's not an issue anyway.

So I'm printing out a 3" circle on heavy card stock/paper, with a mark in the exact center of the crcle. I now cut that circle out.

From the UNDERSIDE of the sink, if you want your drain dead center, you simply draw 2 lines from the opposite corners to meet dead center. Poke a hole in the center of the paper circle, place it where the lines cross, and take a Sharpie and draw your circle.

Now DRILL a bunch of holes along that line, right ON the line. The drain has a very forgiving flange/lip. Now take snips and cut to make your hole.

The underside collar of the drain comes with a rubber gasket, and you use plumber's putty on that as you tighten that large "nut" to tighten the whole thing together securely.

After you've snipped the hole out though, before securing, it's a good idea to file it down a bit, to lose any big burrs. Basically, the gasket and putty on the underside fully seals it.

You then get a simple, cheap BENDABLE PVC pitting from HD that screws on to the collar of the drain (with some plumber's tape). The other end of that PVC feeds to a hole/fitting in the side of the TD that you screw a garden hose into for draining.
Last edited by Ira on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to General Discussion