New to this site and need advice........Please!

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

New to this site and need advice........Please!

Postby Campingmom » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:42 am

OK, I am a 35 yr old single mom with a 10 yr old . My daughter and I love to go camping and I am sick of soggy tents! I have a 5x8 Utility trailer I would like to convert in to a teardrop type camper. I have no doubt that this can be done. I am very handy with tools and have remodeled my entire house so I am up for the challenge. I want to keep it pretty simple and have a sleeping area and some storage. Where we go camping has facilities so I really dont need that. Now here is the real catch. I would like to be able to use this trailer at times for it's original purpose. It has 2ft side rails and a mesh bottom to it. Has anyone made a teardrop type design that can be removed from the trailer?Any ideas on how it might be done? Any advice is appreciated........spring is coming soon and I would love to be able to go camping soon in our new camper!

;)
Last edited by Campingmom on Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not all who wander are lost."~Tolkien~
Campingmom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:02 am

Hello Camping mom,

Welcome to the forum.

Dan Jones built a Cargo Pod which was removable from his trailer.

I've seen a photo that Gage posted once that has a trailer with sides, that someone dropped a teardrop into. Gage, do you still have that photo?

And I think Chip made a drawing of something similar to that.

I would think you would want to build something really light weight. Check out Roly's 1/4 Nelson pictures in this thread:
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 060&#49060

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Hello

Postby Campingmom » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:12 am

Mike that sounds similar to what iI want to do.......without hunting equip. lol I have a 4X4 Jeep Cherokee to pull it with, but light weight is the way to go if it is going to be removeable. How would you get it on/off? I am trying to figure this all out in my head before I try to put it on paper. I am thinking of something that mayby has more of an overhang over the rail than the design this one has. Too be honest it will stay on the trailer most of the time. I just may need to haul some materials from time to time (I am a build-aholic). This is really getting my gears spinning and I am excited about this project. I already have alot of the mats. needed for it actually. Just need a good plan...... :thinking:

Mom
"Not all who wander are lost."~Tolkien~
Campingmom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:23 am

Mom,

Have you ever seen the jacks they use to remove a camper shell from a pickup truck? I'd think you could install something like that. When you wanted to remove the shell, you could just jack it up and pull your trailer out from under it. Your shell would remain elevated until you lowered it back onto the trailer. Just a thought. :thinking:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby sid » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am

Hey Campingmom and welcome to the forum. This is not mine, just one of the many pictures I have collected in my build process, and I did toy with the idea you are talking about. It is removable from the trailer. I have seen others, just don't have pics.

Hope it helps, sid

sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 am

Mom,

Maybe you should look a removable galley and just use the tear as a utility trailer when needed. You could also build a slide out box to put in when the galley is removed. This would help keep things cleaner inside.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 am

Sid,

That's the picture I was looking for. Thanks for posting it.

BTW, Dan's Removable Pod is here...
http://home.att.net/~daniel.v.jones/tea ... intro.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby AmyH » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:58 am

Campingmom, welcome aboard! I don't really have too much to add in the way of suggestions, it looks like you have some pretty great responses already. I just wanted to say welcome to another female builder! :thumbsup: When you get going on your build share lots of photos with us. BTW, where are you from?

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Double duty trailer

Postby GregB » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:59 am

I have the same needs as you do. Since my design has a 5x9 floor, I plan on hinging the lower section of bulkhead between kitchen and sleeping areas. This will be at the back of the under counter cabinets. The hinged section will be 4.5' wide by about 16" high and will swing into the sleeping area. That way I can remove the bedding and still load up sheet goods and miscellaneous building materials.

I'd rather make a minor change to the design then have to remove the whole thing for a trip to the lumberyard.

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

campingmom

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:37 pm

Welcome CampingMom.... from another lady on the board!

Yes, where are you from? It helps us all know we're not in our own neck of the woods. I had a great talk with Karol (kamaleju) the other day and even though she didn't build hers, it was great encouragement.

I too wondered about being able to make full use of the trailer. I plan on a 5x8 , and thought of make the galley section removeable somehow, but also have to think of the integrity that would pull out with it. Those bulkhead walls help support the sides , huh?

Welcome !!! and good luck !!!

julie
oklahoma
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Boy Sid, are your fast. Here's another teardrop built with the same principle.

You could probably adapt the Kuffel Creek plans for this type of build. ( http://www.kuffelcreek.com/ ).

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Hello

Postby Joanne » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:49 am

Hi Mom!

It sounds like you will be building before long. These little trailers are so much nicer than tents (I have 2...tents that is). Although I haven't camped in mine yet, I'm going to have a queen size bed in it. Heck, that's bigger than the bed in my bedroom.

Quite a number of folks have wanted to build trailers like you are thinking of, but I think most run into the practical problem of getting the cabin on and off of the trailer. Would it be better to build a dedicated camping trailer and rent a utility trailer on those occasions when you need it? Just a thought.

It's neat to see another lady on the list. I'm a bit surprised how many of us are building our own trailers. I spent a couple of years trying to convince myself that I could actually build one. Now I'm well along in my build and still surprised it's coming out nice.

Welcome to the insanity!

Joanne

P.S. - Since MadJack hasn't jumped in yet, be sure to post pictures!

Campingmom wrote:Mike that sounds similar to what iI want to do.......without hunting equip. lol I have a 4X4 Jeep Cherokee to pull it with, but light weight is the way to go if it is going to be removeable. How would you get it on/off? I am trying to figure this all out in my head before I try to put it on paper. I am thinking of something that mayby has more of an overhang over the rail than the design this one has. Too be honest it will stay on the trailer most of the time. I just may need to haul some materials from time to time (I am a build-aholic). This is really getting my gears spinning and I am excited about this project. I already have alot of the mats. needed for it actually. Just need a good plan...... :thinking:

Mom
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Re: Hello

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 am

Joanne wrote:Hi Mom!
Welcome to the insanity!
Joanne
P.S. - Since MadJack hasn't jumped in yet, be sure to post pictures!

opps :oops: somehow I missed this one earlier...welcome MOM, it looks like you are well on your way and receiving some good advice especially from Joanne about just doing the camper up solid and like she said...take lotssa pics to share with us since we really do luv the pics :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby larryl » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 am

Camping Mom:

My daughter and I built a 5X8 based on the Cubby set of plans. I built the camper portion with the intention of being able to remove the shell if necessary.

We reinforced the floor by adding extra material in four locations to support four low cost hydraulic jacks purchased at Wal-Mart. We can lift the TD off its frame, insert 2X4's from side to side, support the 2X4's outside the frame and pull the trailer out from underneath.

Hope this all makes sense.

Larryl

gallery under larryl
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm

Mom--

Welcome to the board!

If you have a sturdy place to hang the unit could you either leave straps under it while on the trailer or attach hooks, perhaps similar to pickup bed hooks, on the sides. Place the trailer under the place to hang/lift it, utilize a pully system to lift it, and pull the trailer out. You could then set the box down if you needed to. :thinking:

Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Next

Return to Member Designs