heater ideal

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

heater ideal

Postby stjohn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:00 pm

I was in the bathroom were I do most of my thinking looked up looked a bathroom heater and it hit me why not in a tear?puts out a lot of heat pretty small can be hooked up to a 110 volt thermostat I'm sure this ideal will get shot bown but never know until you ask.

Any thoughts

Mikel
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:13 pm

Is that one of those propane/gas heaters or an elec. one. I can't see why either one wouldn't work.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby stjohn » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:22 pm

electric w/ afan could be mounted permanitly on the ceiling up out of the way
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:27 pm

...why the heck not...as long as you had access to shore power heat would be no prob and if not or not needed it would be outta the way
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:24 am

My father has one of those in his bathroom. As long as you have shore power, that's perfect. Just make your wall 3 1/2" deep, and keep it high enough so you don't set your blankets on fire. You can always turn your roof vent on low to push the warm air down.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobinohio » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:05 am

Those little things do put out a lot of heat. The ones that heat a liquid first (hydronic?) and that liquid heats the "room" are supposed to be safer. The max. temperature is said to be less than the flash point of most materials. I don't know if these come in 120 volt units. Regular electric baseboard heaters get very hot.

I'm not sure if the liquid is water or antifreeze...

The kitchen type electric (110 & 220) toe space units come with a fan but are about 3"x 14"x 9" deep... and $125!

Bob
bobinohio
Teardrop Builder

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:50 am

I think stjohn is talking about a bathroom exhaust fan with a heater. I think it is doable, but there would need to be lots of modifications because they are designed to be ducted out. It might be better to install it in the side wall or the rear bulkhead and duct it out the galley. They are not too expensive and you would get a fan too.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby fornesto » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:13 pm

I know this sounds very silly, but aren't there such things as "heater bulbs", special light bulbs that put off lots of heat intentionally?. In that case, a standard light socket could be used, assuming you have adequate separation.

Is this the product you're talking about?

fornesto
Donating Member

Heater ideal

Postby rooster » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:52 pm

....didn't someone do a thread about a winter outing and heated their tear with two candles.....I don't know if I wanta do it. There is a ceramic heater, 120vac, about 4x5x6" that put out nice heat.

Jim, :)
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:21 pm

If I ever camp when I need heat, I'm taking my little ceramic heater I use in my bathroom. No need to buy one, just borrow it for a while.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:42 pm

We've used the ceramic heater in both the Little Guy and the Warrior. The Warrior was no problem we just put it on the kitchen cabinet top and ran it about 20 mins befor we went to bed. In the Little Guy we put it on the drop down bulk head door last winter on a day that was about 10 degrees and in about 10 mins. the tear was up to 65 degrees so if you left it on all night it would run us out of there. But you need shore power to run them.

In the Warrior, since there is room under the bed, I've thought of useing a 150 watt light bulb for heat. I use this for heat to keep the water in my chicken's waterer from freezeing and with a 150 watt bulb it will keep the water warm to the touch even if it gets down in the teens. So it should keep a Teardrop warm.

I've seen plans in old Popular Science mags of heaters using light bulbs mounted in coffee cans. One hung in a tear about a foot from the ceiling might be a cheap rube-goldburg heater.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:09 pm

I have 3, two stack wall heaters in my fathers basement collecting dust. The thought of putting one in my tear did come to mind. However, after further investigating the idea. I found, much to my dismay, that they are 220 volt. :(
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby stjohn » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:36 pm

I've looked the last two days for the kind of a heater i'm talking about(The one I seen is actually in my boss house were I stay during the week)
can not find one Its about 12"round 2 1/2" deep mount on the ceiling its got a circle of coils w/ a fan in the center I'll take a pic next week.
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby waywardson » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:44 pm

the style heater you are describing is no longer manufactured,
and it hasnt been for a very long time,
i see them occasionally in older homes,
probably havent been made since the late 60's,
sorry,
george/waywardson
waywardson
Silver Donating Member

Postby stjohn » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:06 pm

I bought one 3 or 4 years ago at home depot in texas can't find it on the net though
stjohn
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion