Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby len19070 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 am

Recently a member from Maryland told me how easy it was to register his trailer.

Since I had never registered my trailer ever anywhere because of the ridiculous Hoops and outrageous Co$ts my state, Pennsylvania wanted me to jump through and pay.

I decided to try to do the right thing and register my trailer taking his advise.

I have been using another tag from another trailer for years.

Well, $21 and 6 days later I had a registration card and tags for 2 years!!

It was almost a Religious experience!

The Sun Came out, the Seas of Red Tape opened, the birds were Chirping...I was finally "Legal!

And how was this Revelation implemented?

By a simple phone Call to the Maine Department of Motor Vehicles.

1 207 624 9000, Ext. 52151

I called this number and spoke to a real live person....in English!

Told them I wanted to register a trailer as a Non-Resident. They took my address and 2 days later I received the forums...by the way the forms were in simple English too.

Filled them out, sent them in with a Check and 6 days later I had tags and an owners card.

They don't care if your from out of state

And they were Happy to do it!

I don't know about you but by the end of my builds my wallet is pretty well emptied and spending a couple Hundred Dollars and a lot of aggravation for a card to carry around in your Wallet just isn't in the cards....THOUGH IT IS A NECESSARY EVIL!

I Hope this Helps!

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby urban5 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 am

Holy cow Len. Thats awesome This should be a stickie!!
urban5
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 am

:lol: Now that is a great deal for those who can get away with it. Some states have limits on how long you can be in state with out-of-town tags on your car. Might be the same with trailers.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby urban5 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 am

If your in the Military they can't say nothing :twisted:
urban5
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 am

Miriam C. wrote::lol: Now that is a great deal for those who can get away with it. Some states have limits on how long you can be in state with out-of-town tags on your car. Might be the same with trailers.

That's already covered...at least in my state, Pennsylvania, the most ridiculous State in the union!

After you get your Maine Registration and from your Maine Registration you can Transfer into your state (even get a title) without all the "Blood Letting" Such as an inspection, Photos, excessive costs...we lost that blood, we need more, what was your Grand Mothers Maiden name, are you now or have you ever been a member of the.....well you get it.

States Honor other States Registration process! (according to AAA its a simple transfer)

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby traveler » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:32 pm

I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but all we have to do in Oregon to pull a trailer that is less than 1600 lbs, is to hook it up and go. No license, don't even need insurance, but for 12 dollars a year, I couldn't pass the insurance up, and has full coverage. :applause:
Why do anything unless it is fun with your teardrop
traveler
The 300 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 am

Its True, Some States are very easy to register a trailer in. And info about Registering in a different State isn't necessary.

But this site is Peppered with Horror Stories about dealings with different States DMV's

My states process, Pennsylvania is absolutely ridiculous and extremely costly even for a utility trailer, I've done it numerous times and it has been different every time...yet they have never changed the Laws!

And I'm sure there are others.

I've made the statement on here many times about my State, " I've never had to fight so hard to give somebody Money for Nothing".

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby stevem50 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:24 pm

there is no pain like dealing with the motor vehicle admin. i'd rather go get a root canal than renew my tags.

did you happen to get this info from a certain guy with an affinity for geese?
stevem50
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:32 am

stevem50 wrote:did you happen to get this info from a certain guy with an affinity for geese?

Why yes I did Steve. He was telling me things that I just couldn't believe.

I had to try it and it was all True. Smooth, easy and Cheap...$21.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby stevem50 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 am

i sure wish i had gone that way, i went through the b.s. with marland m.v.a.
can you believe they NEED a receipt to see how much you paid for our trailer for tax purpose,6% in MD. then they tell you there is a minimum tax of 68 bucks for a trailer, then reg fees, then tag fees.almost 200 for 2 year reg. on a new trailer or 21 bucks for a cool maine tag.

i paid way more than you, does that mean i win?
stevem50
Teardrop Master

VA DMV

Postby KEEPING IS SIMPLE » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:18 am

I spoke - in length - to a person at the DMV in Virginia and was told that the HF trailer (which is what I've built on) is a "Utility Trailer". That's what it says on the Bill of Sale and that's what they were interested in. I could put a cow with goggles and scarf on it and it would still register as a Utility Trailer. They did say that I needed to make sure I did not exceed the weight limit (duh).

I'm in Florida now and unless I hear otherwise, that's the route I'm going with: Register my UTILITY trailer. If they want to whine, I'll unbolt it and slide it off and show them. Granted, I'd rather not....

This also make it interesting in selling it.... Sell the UTILITY trailer (check for $300?) and then someone they can write a seperate check for the cow, goggles and scarf. I don't feel 'unethical' in this, but am open to any other points of view!

Anyone have any similar experiences?
KEEPING IS SIMPLE
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jandmz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm

We got our HF trailer, and pulled the paperwork packet out of the package. My wife took the Manufacturer's Statement of Origin down to the county registrar. Since the MSO had the weight limit on it, they issued the Ohio tags based on the MSO ($47.50) before I had turned the first bolt.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby High Desert » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:35 pm

I had wondered if the Maine solution would work for small trailers, thanks for the confirmation Len. I bet this will offer a great solution for many folks with similar problems.
Literally tens of thousands of semi trailers are registered in Maine that never go there. They issue 25 year plates with no stickers to be updated, and up to 10 years at a time registration periods. Really handy for large fleets spread out all over the country. Some smart folks up that way, solves lots of problems and they're makin' bank on it :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:31 pm

I spoke to a woman this weekend who has told me that in her area just the cost...Just the cost! to register her trailer was over $300. That didn't include all her time taking photos, filing forms, driving around for inspections, getting it weighed etc.

that was about $50 more than the cost of the Trailer!!

That's a lot of money for a piece of paper to carry in your wallet.

It sounds crazy but if I was to get Robbed there I would let them take my money as long as they left my registration card! :lol: :lol:

Once again, if your state has an efficient system of registration this Post isn't for you.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:18 am

hrm in SC , we don't have to put tags and register cargo vehicles. They don't even "Have to" have lights in the daytime. but most do for safety reasons. Many home built trailers have never felt lights on them.
Sometimes you get asked about it when you go out of State. NC especially asks. But usually they seem to already know of our different ways and it's a shrug and go on once they get a look over for safety check.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Next

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops