Need help with converter PLEASE

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Joamon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:46 pm

I have done some wiring before but I'm not a pro. I have a centurion power converter. Not the best but it is what I have. Pictures are in my gallery. This thing came with almost no instructions. Three questions.

1. I quess the power cord comes in thru the right side then goes to the appropriate bars. There is a ground bar on the back I think for the plain copper wire(this says to ground to the frame). Does this look and sound correct?
2. 12v I used white and black 14awg stranded wire for my 12volt.
This unit has some screw connectors below the fuse holders. For which colored wire (white or black) and what do I do with the other colored wire that I don't put in the screws. Do I need a ground bar or something? Please explain.
3. The last fuse slot says it's for battery charger hookup.
What size wire do I use(if I have a battery hooked up) and wouldn't there be two wires coming from the battery.Where doews the other one go?
Please explain, be datailed and simple.

Thank you all so much.
Keith :hammer:
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:07 pm

Keith,

Have tried to look online for a schematic or manual for this??
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:18 pm

Found this, there are wiring diagrams included:
LINK
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:07 pm

One question, how come is that black wire from the fuse (+) going to the ground bus? :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Joamon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:07 pm

Nitetimes I think when I unpacked it a looong time ago the wire came loose and I just put it somewhere without realy thinking. The schematic helps some but I'm still a little fuzzie.
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Joamon wrote:Nitetimes I think when I unpacked it a looong time ago the wire came loose and I just put it somewhere without realy thinking. The schematic helps some but I'm still a little fuzzie.

Post the model and someone here can look at the schematic and help you out.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Joamon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:40 pm

The model #is the cs3000
Thanks so much for the replies. Keep them coming.
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby JIML1943 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:40 pm

HI I've got one of those the black wire with the two ends is your 110 +wire where the two wires are soldered togather go to main breaker other end goes to power wire from shore power.
White wire from shore power goes to upper ground bar. ground from shore power goes to lower bar, ground for 12 volt goes to buss bar on back of unit.
.the way i set mine up i used the breaker connected to the y connector as main used second breaker for 110 circuit.

Hope this helps.
JIM
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Re: Need help with converter PLEASE

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:27 pm

JIML1943 wrote:.the way i set mine up i used the breaker connected to the y connector as main used second breaker for 110 circuit.

Hope this helps.
JIM

Can you clarify that? Like, did you put 2 breakers in a series??

:oops:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby JIML1943 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:39 pm

No the one breaker connected to the y connection powers the positive buss bar then you connect black wire to second 110 circuit breaker for your fictures.is it still looking muddy.

Jim
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Joamon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:06 pm

JIML1943
Thanks for the info. Things are becoming clear. How well does your unit work for you? Also do you have a battery hooked up to yours? If so please explain how you hooked it up.
Thanks Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby JIML1943 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi Keith yes i have a battery hooked up your + wire goes to the first fuse on right and run to battery, connect neg to ground buss bar on back of converter and run to battery. I looked at your photo of converter where you have black wire connected on buss bar will work you just need to take the end on ground bar off it will go to pos. from shore power.

haven't gone camping yet but it keeps batteries up pretty good as far as i can tell.I used #8 663 strand power wire for battery cables from inverter to battery don't that heavy for 15 amp but less resistance on bigger wire

hope that helps. Jim
Last edited by JIML1943 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Re: Need help with converter PLEASE

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:48 pm

JIML1943 wrote:No the one breaker connected to the y connection powers the positive buss bar then you connect black wire to second 110 circuit breaker for your fictures.is it still looking muddy.

Jim

Yea, whats the y connector? I think that's whats throwing me off :oops:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby JIML1943 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:22 pm

If you look on the 110 buss bar you see a black wire going into it and another coming out for shore power hot wire those are soldered togather that is what i am calling a y connection. i took mine out from there and hooked it to circuit breaker to use as a main i can kill 110 to camper without going to shore power sorce.

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Ok Jim, one last time... You have two breakers installed , you took the hot wire out of the buss bar, and connected AC in to the second Breaker, right? So their is no wire connected to the first breaker, its just used as a kill switch.. Have I got it now? Or have I had too much to drink? :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets