Air Conditioner

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Air Conditioner

Postby c_mac » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:51 am

I have read some discussion about "Pet Cool." Has anyone actually used this system? Also it looks like there are 2,000 BTU units and 2,500 BTU units. Would this make a significant difference? It looks like the price goes up $75 to $100 and they are both expensive. While expensive, they sure look like it would be simple applications with a minimum amount of set-up required. Also, it would be easy to move to a 2nd unit, if I am not satisfied with my first TD which is 5' X 10'.
c_mac
Donating Member

Re: Air Conditioner

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:14 am

c_mac wrote:I have read some discussion about "Pet Cool." Has anyone actually used this system? Also it looks like there are 2,000 BTU units and 2,500 BTU units. Would this make a significant difference? It looks like the price goes up $75 to $100 and they are both expensive. While expensive, they sure look like it would be simple applications with a minimum amount of set-up required. Also, it would be easy to move to a 2nd unit, if I am not satisfied with my first TD which is 5' X 10'.

C mac, here's a link to Kai and his Mexican Tear. He, in my humble estimation, is the formost authority here on Pet Cool. In most tears, the 2000 btu would be sufficent for 2 adults, If you're sleeping 3 or more you would have to allow for the friction factor....Kai's pet cool linky

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:10 am

...got an email from the PetCool folks a while back and they said they were discontinuing the 2000 BTU model and selling out the rest of their stock...don't know if they have any left but if you wanted one I would email/call and ask...they may offer a deal on 'em
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:05 am

I have one. The small size is allowing me to build it in a bulkhead between the cabin and galley, venting it thru the side. It also is a heatpump so it has heat too. I put a meter on it and the draw is only 3.6 amp so I know my generator will run it. I'm building a 5x11. At 2000 btu's I think it will do fine. A 5000 btu A/C will cool a 8x8x8 room I think 2000 btu should have no problem cooling a 5x6.5x4 cabin.

I'm using 2 of these cool boat vent's to vent it out the side.

Last edited by Sonetpro on Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:19 pm

how do you think it would work on a 5X8 in hot&muggy FL? i'm worried that a 5000btu from HD might keep freezing up on me, not to mention finding a way to vent the thing. it seems that the petcool wouldnt be over powered and would be eisier to work with. i'm just not sure its got enough power for this neck of the woods. anyone in the FL area with suggestions would be great. Steve i see you are just around the corner from me. i'm in the green cove springs area.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:34 pm

What part of Florida, Rampage?

This has been a long-standing debate here, and I went with a standard 5000BTU AC.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby rampage » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:12 pm

Ira wrote:What part of Florida, Rampage?

This has been a long-standing debate here, and I went with a standard 5000BTU AC.

ira, i'm just south of jacksonville. how is the 5000btu working for ya?
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby critter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:17 pm

hey all,
im thinkin of cutting a square hole in the side of my weekender and hinging a door over it to instal a 5000btu ac.that can be left out when not needed or instaled once reacing a campgroung.anyone try this?
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Ira » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:31 pm

rampage wrote: i'm just south of jacksonville. how is the 5000btu working for ya?

I'm in Coral Springs, TD still not finished, but putting in my cheap 5,000 BTU AC was like putting a refrigeration unit in there.

I am sure you can get away with a TON less BTUs, 1,000, 2,000--but for me, it was a matter of cost. For 100 bucks for a standard AC (mine has a digital thermostat and remote), your TD can double as a meat locker.

There are indeed some real issues with freeze up, but like I said, my TD isn't finished yet and it hasn't gotten the real field test yet.

It was the 100 bucks thing that made my decision easy.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby 48Rob » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:57 pm

Critter,

I'm far from the first to do this, but it works pretty well! :D

Rob

Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Chip » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:04 pm

First make real sure ya got plenty of air flow,, natural or artificial to the back and sides of the air conditioner,, set the controls on medium low and crack the windows and roof ven just a bit,,, the inflow of air into the cabin will keep the compressor from cycling on and off so often while keeping things cooled down and comfortable ,, it can be a juggling act of too much cooling and not enough unconditioned air,, the venting of the compresor in the rear of the unit is the most important factor to making it work right,,,

jmho and trial and error on my first trailer

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Loader » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Rob,

Great looking Cabin car there. Do you by chance a photo of AC from the inside? Didn't see it in you ralbum.

Thanks
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby critter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:25 pm

hey chip,
i knew you would know.its the pickeled brain i guess :lol: i wuz gonna put it high on the drivers side wall with some kind of shelf hinged on the bottom outside of the trl for it sit on.with little turnbuckels for leveling it.whuddya think!
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Joamon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Sonetpro Where could I go to get one of those vents and how much? I've gone to great pains to get the AC in. The vent is one thing I've not found yet.
Thanks Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:38 pm

Joamon wrote:Sonetpro Where could I go to get one of those vents and how much? I've gone to great pains to get the AC in. The vent is one thing I've not found yet.
Thanks Keith

Keith, Found it on ebay where else? Stainless 14.95 Black 7.00
I've already received them and they are as advertised. It's going to almost fit flush in the wall maybe 1/2" protruding. Boat stuff is great for a teardrop. Most interior is sized for a small cabin and is almost always stainless or aluminum.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainles ... QQtcZphoto
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion