Offroad Pop-up

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Offroad Pop-up

Postby asorensen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Well after researching and saving for a while I have finally begun my build.

My concept is a modular trailer, in that, since I don't already have a utility trailer I want the camper to be a removable unit.
For this reason I have framed the camper with aluminum tube to make it bombproof!
The progress is going fairly slowly from my perspective because I need to anticipate all possible welding before I begin any covering
so the entire thing has seemed skeletal for much longer than I would have liked.
Anyways here are some pictures of my progress.

You can see the doors on each side framed and the windows as well.
The skins on the bottom were a real pain to weld on because the oil canned and warped pretty badly but I wanted to be sure that no water or elements could ever get in.

You can see the jack points that I have welded for each corner so that I can lift it off of the trailer and the rear hatch profile.

More to come

Andy
Last edited by asorensen on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Rear Hatch

Postby asorensen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:01 pm

I am pretty happy with how my rear hatch has come out.

These are the ribs that match the profile:

Here they are welded into a frame and fit into the space:

I used an aluminum piano hinge that I welded to both the camper and hatch. I learned a few things welding this one in that will help with the others that you will see later.
Mostly that the welding burns off all lubrication so the hinge needs to be lubricated before any moving or risk galling (sticking) the parts.

I was able to figure out good locations for the struts by clamping in place before hand.
I am sure that if I hadn't been able to clamp and try various locations first it would have been a very frustrating afair.

Here they are finalized. You can also see the rear latch:

And closed:

Speaking of latches I was pretty happy to find these ones for the main doors:

More to come

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

The Loft

Postby asorensen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Because I have three kids I knew that a standard tear drop would not quite be sufficient.
The area that I live is not conducive to tents (read wet) so as much as I liked the idea of a roof top tent I didn't think it was the best solution.

I decided to go with tilt up walls to give a standing room and a loft while still keeping the profile height fairly low (more on that to come).

The walls are framed with 1" tube and add an extra 24" of interior space allowing me to stand easily.

Here they are somewhat complete:

And folded down:

This is the size that the loft space will be:

This should fit the kids for at least a few years!

More to come

Andy[/img]
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby starleen2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Nice frame ya' got there :thumbsup: - Whatcha plannin' on skiniing it with??
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby glamoree » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:18 pm

wow...this is going to be a good one!
"Green Lantern Corpsman"
glamoree
Teardrop Master

As it stands

Postby asorensen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 pm

So that brings you all pretty much up to date.

I have begun the trailer that the camper will sit on and come to a bit of a standstill for a couple of reasons.

The first is that I cut my hand and had to get four stitches nothing major but a good reminder that I actually want to keep everything that God gave me!

The second is that I am waiting for parts. I have ordered a whole pile of things from R and P Carriages and I had to have them shipped to a friends in the States and now have wait for them.

Lastly I am somewhat second guessing my choice of tire size for the build. I plan to build trailing arm independent suspension with air bags and shocks.
The proposed trailer height based on the tire size of 31"x10.5"x15" tires was 24" inches but after putting the tires under the trailer I am wondering if it is too high.
Basically I don't want it to top heavy and I think at 24" trailer height it might be.

Here is a picture at 24" with the 31" tires:

I have left 4.5" of clearance in the wheel well for travel.
I plan to have a spare under the deck of the trailer and water tanks.

What are peoples thoughts? Is it too top heavy?

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby asorensen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Nice frame ya' got there - Whatcha plannin' on skiniing it with??

I will be skinning the outside with frp and inside with 1/8" ply with rigid foam between.

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby hugh » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Top heavy is all about the track width and the height of the trailer. I have taken mine down some fairly extreme trails, at least for a trailer in 2 different configurations. First few times with a Princess Auto 2000 lb axle with a width of 4 ', Trailer sits fairly high on 32" tires and yes it did tip over on the third trip out if I recall correctly. Out came the 4' axle and in went a 6' wide 3500lb axle with electric brakes and munroe shocks. Now not so tippy but I take the rough stuff nice and slow. What are your plans, what type of tow vehicle are you using and where do you plan on taking the trailer. If it,s mostly roads a lower center of gravity is your friend. Not to mention frp skin will take a beating in the woods if the trial is tight. Now if your going road trip camping a lower center of gravity should also lower the profile which means less drag, You get the picture.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby asorensen » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks Hugh

The track width will be about 6' and the height 7'.
I have 10" electric brake hubs, air bags and shocks under the thing as well contributing to the,
hopefully low, center of gravity.

I will be using this trailer for a variety of purposes but it needs to be able to travel some pretty rough old logging road.
Nothing to crazy because my tow vehicle, although rugged, is no rock crawler!

Here is a picture: Image

Any one else have any thoughts?

Thanks

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby asorensen » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Oops double post

Andy
Last edited by asorensen on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Postby jeprovo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm not sure that you really need 4.5" of wheel travel allowance, I would think that you only need 2 or 2.5"
Maybe one of the more experienced members has some input?

What is your tow vehicle? I like it!
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby hugh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Heres a pic of my set up at a lake not to far away from Kenora Ontario summer of 2010.
For the record I usually don,t drive in the water, realizing that its a bad thing to do but there is a story behind it. Anyway, notice how the trailer ground clearance is pretty much the same as the Jeeps. Anthing more would be a waste. Also the roofline of the trailer sticks up over the roofline of the Jeep. The trailer is sloped a bit but even that small amount gives noticeable drag and the Jeep has a 4 liter motor. Over the next few weeks when i get a chance I will change the trailer axle to over the springs to lower its overall height by at least 5". That should lower wind resistance a fair bit. I,m guessing your van is one of those little diesel powered right hand drive 4 wheel drive units from Japan. Try everything you can to make the trailer as light as possible, one common theme here is overbuilt which usually means heavy. If I was to make another it would be a lot lighter, one choice I would remake though is the is the interior height, it is nice for this 58 year old to be able to almost stand up in the trailer. Any way enjoy your build.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby titanpat57 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:05 pm

I think I would leave the 4" or so...better safe than sorry.

Beautiful build and well thought out.....love the aluminum frame.

continued luck and quick progress,

Pat
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:00 pm

First, that is an awesome idea...two trailers in one. Second, excellent design/welding on the cabin frame. I'm envious. Bet your you and kids are going to love this thing.

Also, what is that vehicle you show there? Can't say I recall seeing one quite like that. Is it 4WD?
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby asorensen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I think I have resolved that the height will not be an issue so I will keep it at 24".

Woodstramp wrote:
Also, what is that vehicle you show there? Can't say I recall seeing one quite like that. Is it 4WD?

The vehicle is a Mitsubishi Delica imported from Japan. It is a right hand drive 2.8 ltr turbo deisel. It has mistubishis superselect in it so: 2wd, Awd, 4wd high and 4wd low.
You can see more example on the website: http://www.delica.ca.
We have been importing them in Canada for about 10 years now and they have really been popular in Western Canada.

Andy
asorensen
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets