Satellite radios

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby DoWopBox » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:49 am

I have two Sirius units which I bought to listen to talk radio that I couldn't get otherwise. Lately they have been pre-empting my favorite show with sportz every day so I'm probably not going to renew.
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby BILLYL » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:08 am

I just purchased Sirius - was traveling on SuperBowl weekend and needed to hear the game. I got the Starmate unit - was on sell at Radio Shack for under $40 and had a $20 rebate. This unit uses the FM modulator and one thing I found was that I was constantly changing FM tuning so I could hear the radio. I travel mostly between Boston and Richmond and the FM band is very crowded. So finding a clear band is very hard. But they have a small FM modulation switch - that installs between the car antenna and what it does is it senses when the Sirius unit is turned on and it turns off the car antenna. So basically you get a direct feed into your radio. Really improved the performance of the radio.

Having looked at both of the companies - I find that XM is hands down on the technology - but Sirius is the clear winner for content. Where else can you get 24/7 Rolling Stones.......................... :D

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Namsayn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:46 am

I have two Sirius units--car and medical office. My SO has XM in her car. Formats seem very different. My take is that Sirius seems to be targeted at older folks and younger people like the harder rock on XM. I like the sports on Sirius. Usually no problem with reception but there can be in the mountains. Not so much when driving because roadways are more open but I have been in campgrounds where I had trouble holding the Sirius signal on my boombox. Well, ex-boombox cause it burned in the fire at home.
Randy
Namsayn
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:28 am

I've got this unit:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet ... entID=7870

Also, from what I've heard, the two companies are going to have to eventually merge anyway.

When you talk about the principals and owners in both companies owning huge amounts of stock, and realizing a merger will be the best thing for their stock prices, that it's gotta happen.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby UTDRob » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:04 am

please buy sirius , make my stock go up!
UTDRob
Teardrop Builder

Postby DoWopBox » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 am

UTDRob wrote:please buy sirius , make my stock go up!

I'm going to dump the two subscriptions that I have because they keep pre-empting what I'm paying for with sportz that I'm not interested in.

Want to buy a couple of otherwise useless radios?

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joanne » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Hey WP!

Love my XM radios. (yes, more than one). I love the variety of programming that is available. I listen to news, oldies, pop hits, blues, bluegrass, classical, NASCAR, Jazz, old Rock... well, you get the idea.

I've heard a lot of people complain that they don't want to pay for radio when you can get it for free with an FM radio. I found it no different than cable or satellite TV. You pay for selection and variety. I have a mount in my car, in my office, and on my Harley.

I'm not sure there is any technological advantage of one system over the other. I don't think it's going to be like VHS and Beta where one becomes obsolete. I say pick the one that has the programming you like and go for it. :thumbsup:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby billnut » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:25 pm

:D I've had XM and love it.
And trying to figure out how to mount it in my TD
Bill :thumbsup:
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby critter » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:05 am

hey gus,
i got xm in my old truck,only way i can get 24/7 bluegrass!
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion