To Flush or not to Flush, that is the issue....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby 48Rob » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:51 am

I've always thought this set up was really cool!~

Probably not suited to a tear, but pretty slick.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:15 pm

cracker39 wrote: Despite all of the deoderants made for them, there is still some odor to contend with, even if it is the deorderant you are smelling.

You're right about that. My wife complained of being able to smell the deodorant at times. I have smelled worse or just as strong deodorant smells in hotel rooms, but to make it nice for my camp mates, before our next outing I will add a frame around the toilet enclosure to allow me to add a door with sealing strips. I foresee installing a small vent in the outside wall of the toilet compartment too. Some more fun! :SH
Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:17 pm

48Rob wrote:I've always thought this set up was really cool!~

I'm guessing there should be a bucket inside that ply box.......

Otherwise the hygiene is as poor as the privacy. :whistle:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:01 pm

GeorgeT wrote:
cracker39 wrote: Despite all of the deoderants made for them, there is still some odor to contend with, even if it is the deorderant you are smelling.

I foresee installing a small vent in the outside wall of the toilet compartment too. Some more fun! :SH

I thought about putting in a vent in the outside wall of my potti cabinet. But, then, I thought about what would happen when the fan is venting inside air to the outside. Unless that cabinet door has a really good seal, it would just pull any odors out of the cabinet into the cabin. I suppose one could install a tiny PC fan to vent out from the cabinet and wire it so that it runs when the fan is on, or, just by a switch. Those little cooling fans use very little power.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:36 pm

cracker39 wrote:
GeorgeT wrote:

I foresee installing a small vent in the outside wall of the toilet compartment too. Some more fun! :SH

I thought about putting in a vent in the outside wall of my potti cabinet. But, then, I thought about what would happen when the fan is venting inside air to the outside. Unless that cabinet door has a really good seal, it would just pull any odors out of the cabinet into the cabin.

Good point. Guess I'll just add the sealed door and see how that works. I don't think it has been all that strong anyway, so maybe a door will be enough and a vent won't be necessary. I don't remember ever smelling it in our little pop up tent camper. The porta potty cabinet had a door. I don't remember it being a sealed door, just a typical cabinet cupboard door. We'll see. :thinking:
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:59 pm

It may all depend on the brand of deoderizer you use. I don't remember what I used years ago. I'll have to experiment with some.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:32 pm

The only time there should be odors, good or bad, is while it is being "used" :o but before it is flushed, and while it is being flushed.

Assuming the seals are good, there should be no odor any other time.

Though not finished yet, my plans are to have a computer fan mounted in the floor, with an intake vent at seat level in a cabinet next to the pot.

In theory, it should pull odors down through the duct, and vent them outdoors.
The fan will be controlled by a timer switch, so I won't forget to turn it off.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Thanks, everyone....

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:22 pm

Folks,

The great thing about TTT is that you get whacked upside the head when you get ahead of yourself <g> A rapid check of 5x10 trailer weights plus whatever build weight I add soon demonstrated that this would be beyond my Altima's towing capacity 1000lbs and 100lb<tongue weight. So I am back to a 5x8 configuration.

George and Rob have brilliant and beautiful designs--I had seen Rob's before but my Altima's transmission would be gone by the time I got to the corner--and if it didn't go, the brakes soon would <G>. Mike's drawing with the partition would also not work for me because of the same restrictions.

I couldn't get Dale's design up except for his model, so I still don't quite understand how he solved the problem of space in his TTT?

Andrew, John, Kevin and Ira--you gotta know I already said NO to the hot
tub, so I GOTTA do something about the biffy!! The only way I could get the hot tub in is if we used snorkeling gear. But then, no biffy <g>

And, the group seems divided about the 'odour' problem and the liklihood it would be ummmmmm....objectionable. I don't know if there is any single answer to that matter. Personally, I can't smell burning rubber unless it it about 2' away. Fortunately I CAN taste good wine and bourbon!

So, I find myself 'bounced' over to the 'side tent' forum to look at the collective wisdom over there. The missus and I looked a Cablero catalogue we have and they have something called a Trekker Biffy shelter for $69 on page 224 #BG 51-6922. I haven't checked to see if they have it online. An idea we had is that instead of unassembling the shelter, simply roll it up, put it in cabin, take it out and set it up at nixt site. As far as 'on the road' use of biffy goes, the thought is that the biffy would still go in the camper while travelling.have it held in place with bungee cord to two eyelets in the walls (roll mattress out of the way to make room en route.
In emergency along the road, hop in back....

Just thinkin' out loud...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Micro469 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:27 pm

It's amazing how much sense you make when you think out loud isn't ?
:lol: :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Whoops...Cabela's not Cabalero's

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:41 pm

An apology...the catalogue we looked at is CABELA's ~ Cabalero's

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:26 pm

Jim, I presume that the comment about "so I still don't quite understand how he solved the problem of space in his TTT? " meant how I made space for my porti potti? If so, in my photos in the Yahoo album, pictures 8 and 13 show the cabinet. In the 8th photo, labeled "New Galley Design 3rd View" with the bed extended, the porti potti stays in the low cabinet between the end of the bed and the galley cabinet on the right. In picture 13 labeled "Couch-Dinette Mod - Couch-1", the porti potti cabinet is in the lower right corner. I considered storing it under the couch seat, but when the bed is extended for sleeping, the underseat cabinet would be too far back to open, so the porti potti would have to be pulled out of the cabinet so it could be reached during the night.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:48 pm

PS, I relabeled my photos with more descriptions and rearranged the order. I hope this helps to explain what you are seeing.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:45 pm

cracker39: Checked out your Squidget model. Very nicely done! :thumbsup:
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 pm

Thanks, George. The plans, despite undergoing small changes, are still pretty close to the dimensions of the model. I think I've raised the rear roofline about 6 inches, stretched the front and back out a couple more inches, and the windows and door will look a little different. I'm getting the crankout windows from Lil Bear and found a regular RV door. And, the tongue box will be a little wider than in the model. But, overall, it will look nearly the same. When it's done, I'll post comparison pictures of what was planned, and what was built.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:02 am

Has anyone mentioned Kevin at Kuffle Creek's option for the chemical toilet? His idea is to have it available while driving/traveling in the TD in a well in the floor, the well gives enough room to sit upright. When camping I think he suggests using a side tent, Tee-Pee, or something like that. I've also seen photo's that have the chemical toilet stored in the galley. I really don't think that is a good idea though for obvious reasons. My wife liked the Idea of the facilities in the TD while on the road, saved looking for a clean rest stop, etc. I veto'ed the "rolling outhouse" idea though.. I knew who's job it would be to move it, dump it, fill it with chemicals, Replace the bed when it was moved etc, etc. We almost always camp where there are facilities. Maybe when we get a little older I might have the urge to have facilities handy.

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques