toaster oven?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

toaster oven?

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Do any of you have a toaster oven in your tear galley? I see the benefits of a microwave, but a toaster oven would be handy for biscuits or rolls or such, I wonder though if it would create too much heat on the galley shelf or if you have to do some protective metal around it or something.

I don't know if I will use the toaster oven, probably opt for the microwave but then again, they could be interchangeable...

julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: toaster oven?

Postby Joanne » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:09 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Do any of you have a toaster oven in your tear galley? I see the benefits of a microwave, but a toaster oven would be handy for biscuits or rolls or such, I wonder though if it would create too much heat on the galley shelf or if you have to do some protective metal around it or something.

I don't know if I will use the toaster oven, probably opt for the microwave but then again, they could be interchangeable...

julie

Hey Julie,

I've always liked toaster ovens. Besides the breads, you can also do your baked potatoes in them. I used to wrap a chicken breast up in aluminum foil with some Tequila/lime sauce and throw it into the toaster oven. (like the Boy Scouts do with their foil dinners...well, not the tequila part). When I could smell it, I knew it was done.

Microwaves are great, but I still prefer the dry heat that a oven (or toaster oven) provides for most things. Of course when I'm camping, it's all about the Dutch Ovens. Sort of like a charcoal powered toaster oven. :lol:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Chris C » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:18 pm

Just a bit of information.......................and if you don't believe it, forget I ever mentioned it!

During the years my late wife was struggling with her cancer, we kept her alive with natural and homeopathic protocols and organic foods. One of the very first things almost every natural medicine doctor asked us was were we using a microwave oven. It is the natural medicine communities opinion that microwave ovens kill the nutrients in food. Since she was needing all the nutritian she could get, they instructed us to not ever cook anything in the microwave. So about all I ever use one for is to heat water..........and actually water can be boiled on the stove just a quickly as in a microwave, but using more electricity.

Just a bit of info. Take it or leave it. Your choice.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby gailkaitschuck » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:34 am

I'm been thinking of getting a toaster oven for the baked potato and biscuit reasons. My oldest son recently picked up one from Big Lots; he has a small gas stove in the cottage he rents and is afraid to use the oven because it's so old it has no automatic pilot light and requires a match to light the oven and burners. He's found the toaster oven quite useful for many different types of meals.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

toaster oven

Postby oklahomajewel » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:45 am

So .... you savvy builders out there..... besides a fire extenguisher, what would I/we need to do around the area where a toaster oven is?
I don't know how warm/hot it would be , so should there be just wood and maybe line that area with sheets of metal? or use some other product?

Glad there are some people that agree with me about those !

Thanks for the replies! Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:23 pm

Mount it on a slide out and use it only when slid out.

Postby kurtibm » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:11 pm

It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby gailkaitschuck » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:22 am

That's a pretty neat hot plate/grill combination!

Purchased a toaster oven last weekend. I recently tried the "Dream Dinners" thing, splitting the meals with my oldest son. So far, everything I've prepared has been delicious. These would be good meals to take camping and cook in the toaster oven.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby GeorgeT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 am

I use this little toaster oven I got at Walmart. I think it was $28.95. Very lightweight. Makes great cinammon rolls, biscuits and little pizzas. the exterior doesn't get hot enoughta worry much about messin' up its surroundings. I used it several times just settin' on the carpeted tent floor.

Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:51 pm

GeorgeT

We also purchased the Sunbeam at Wally World. It's worked well for us the few times we've used it.

For dinners, I've used the "Dream Dinners" chicken dishes as they involve using boneless breasts that are a good size but thin.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby asianflava » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:27 pm

I tried a dream dinner in the toaster oven and it worked like a champ. I never thought about doing it till I read your post. I will probably do it more often with summer coming. No need to heat the whole house with the oven and cool it back down with the air conditioner.

I only have a couple toaster oven-able dinners though. A majoirty of the ones I have left require the real oven, pork wellington and some kind of roast. I'll have to make those before it starts getting hot.

Thanks for the idea Gail! :thumbsup:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: toaster oven

Postby Mitheral » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:09 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:So .... you savvy builders out there..... besides a fire extenguisher, what would I/we need to do around the area where a toaster oven is?
I don't know how warm/hot it would be , so should there be just wood and maybe line that area with sheets of metal? or use some other product?

Check the manual for the oven, it'll tell you the clearance required. GE made (makes?) an undershelf model that was zero clearance. The undershelf model would make for easy secure mounting as it is designed to be bolted to something.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:46 pm

Who makes these dream dinners? This is the first I've heard of them. I thoguht about getting the little MW I saw at Target. It was all manual with the dial timer like the early ones, and was about $35. I like toaster ovens too, but you have to be careful not to burn stuff that you'd normally use a regular overn to cook. The best toaster oven I've used is too big for TDs. That was a DeLongi and it was much larger than the usual toaster oven. You could roast a chicken in it.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:54 pm

John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:07 pm

cracker39 wrote:Who makes these dream dinners? This is the first I've heard of them.

www.dreamdinners.com

We have a dream dinners place near us, I haven't tried them though. There are 2 other places here, Super Suppers and Studio Kitchen. We have only done Studio Kitchen. A friend of mine has done all 3 and prefers SK.

You go to these places and prepare a months worth of meals (uncooked) which get packaged up and frozen. You simply defrost one and pop it into the oven, make your sides, and prepare yourself for the compliments.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets