I don't care--no interior switches for porch lamps (maybe)

Anything electric, AC or DC

I don't care--no interior switches for porch lamps (maybe)

Postby Ira » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:48 am

If all goes well tomorrow, I'm going to at least run and install my left side daisy chain devices without dying:

Interior light, porch lamp, and rear cabin and galley outlets.

Since my interior lights are self-switched, and my porch lamps AREN'T, I've been running through my head the upcoming headache of cutting through the wall and installing a switch for the porch lamp. Not only would this be a job and a half, but since I can't get a box to sit flush in there anyway, it's gonna look like crap--and I know I'm going to scrape my head on it over and over if it protrudes.

I can totally throw any semblence of real safety to the wind and just wrap the switch real good with electrical tape and screw it into the wall, where it will sit flush without box.

Or I can forget the whole thing and just install a switch in the lamp.

I mean, what kind of convenience do I really need here? Is it THAT important that I be able to turn that lamp on and off from inside? Especially when a lot of people don't even INSTALL porch lamps?

Best argument here is how I'll do it. But I sure hope the argument for the easiest way wins.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Loader » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Ira,

If you don't put a switch in the circuit, how will you control you outside lights. The other option is to get some outside light with built in switches then hope passerby's don't turn them on you. You are doing just 110v right? I would use some sort of junction box, for the switch, if it was 12VDC, you could get by without the box (at least I would think so).

IMHO, if you are not going to add the switch, then don't install the lights or get lights with a switch built in.

Best of luck.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Ira,

How about a toggle switch? Lots smaller and could be placed inconspicuously. perhaps even on the bottom of the light fixture.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:45 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Ira,

How about a toggle switch? Lots smaller and could be placed inconspicuously. perhaps even on the bottom of the light fixture.

Ira-

That's what I did, drilled a hole on the bottom of the fixture, screwed/hooked my switch in.

BTW you can buy waterproof rubber toogle switch covers.

I've got my switch on the outside, turn it off just before retiring for the nite.

I park mine outside & nobody has come along and turned it on for giggles yet.

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Loader » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Toggle, good idea, they ok for 110v?

Here is where I bought mine for my 12VDC circuit.

Western Campers

Also, check http://www.Waytekwire.com lots of good stuff there, on MJ's recommendations, I bought many things for wiring from them.
Last edited by Loader on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 pm

Loader wrote:Toggle, good idea, they ok for 110v?

Earl-

Yep, check your link, they list 125 & 250 V ratings along with 6-24V...

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Loader » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:58 pm

goldcoop wrote:
Loader wrote:Toggle, good idea, they ok for 110v?

Earl-

Yep, check your link, they list 125 & 250 V ratings along with 6-24V...

Cheers,

Coop

Gotta love it when I don't read my own link very well! :lol: :lol:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:20 pm

Del City also has a great assortment of electrical parts. I bought my LED side markers from them, along with some round toggle-type switches.

SWITCHES
SIDE LIGHTS
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:46 pm

Ahhhh...thank you all.

That's what I meant--drilling a hole into the fixture and sticking a toggle switch in there.

But...

What the heck do you call those little itty bitty switches with a just a little nub that you either push, or turn, for on and off?

My whole moral dilemma was whether it was so important to be able to turn the porch lamps on and off from INSIDE the cabin. But obviously, I can live with this.

Will you guys all marry me? THANKS!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:52 pm

I bought some stainless steel outlet covers (similiar to a wall switch cover) But there solid "blanks". All I need to do is drill out a hole, and pop the round toggle-type switch in and the plastic "wings" will secure it in place. I plan on then just screwing the cover to the interior wall and there done( leaving room behind for the wires).

PIC
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Ken, that makes total sense. THANK YOU FOR THAT IDEA!!!

Gee, glad I'm not killing myself here in the office, but checking my site instead.

So you're not doing anything as far as a box goes, then? Just wrap up everything nice and tight with electrical tape?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby 48Rob » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Ira,

You're concerned about getting a box to fit flush...that makes sense, but how are you getting the wire (power to the light) from the inside, to the outside?

If it is indeed coming from the inside, then you'll have to run a wire to the light, and if you're doing that anyway, you can put a switch anywhere inside that you'd like.
If running the wire is a problem...12 volt cable exposed isn't great, but 120 volt cable exposed with no box or conduit is asking for a shortened lifespan, perhaps not yours, but someones...

Anyway, if geeting power to that lamp is a problem, perhaps a battery powered job would save you pulling all that wire, and installing a switch.

If you don't like the look of the battery powered "closet" lights, you can use the "guts" in a nicer fixture.

Rob...who probably doesn't understand the question.... :thinking:
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Ira » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:47 pm

48Rob wrote: You're concerned about getting a box to fit flush...that makes sense, but how are you getting the wire (power to the light) from the inside, to the outside?

My wires are already run inside the wall, and the interior lights and poor lamps more or less back up to each other--just a small hole to run the wires outside to the porch lamp.

And Ken, still here? Or anywhere else?

I just bought two heavy duty toggle switches (Radio Shack), but I might have bought the wrong thing, or I don't underatand:

I bought switches that are rated 6A for 250AC, and judging by ANOTHER item I saw there, this means 3A at 125. The package says "SPDT contacts rated 6A at 250VAC."

Here's my quandry:

This is a "center off" switch, 3 positions, because they didn't have anything else. This means the center postion is off, and both switch up or down is on. There are three connectors to attach wires to, but nothing for a ground.

How the heck do I wire this safely? What about the ground? Know what I'm talking about at ALL?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:58 pm

Ira, your common and ground(white and green) go directly to the fixture..the black goes to the center lug of the switch and then run a black from whichever end you choose to the fixture...no ground goes to the switch...you are simply inserting a switch into the hot leg of the circuit
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby goldcoop » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:08 pm

Ira-

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/unsecure ... MANUAL.PDF

Good bedtime reading, didn't the blister pack have wiring schematic?

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets