Help with a purchase, Luxury Tent for Sale by 2bits

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Help with a purchase, Luxury Tent for Sale by 2bits

Postby byrdz1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 am

Thomas - 2bits, suggested I ask y'all.

I am looking at http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=45660

A home built by 2bits. I live in Oregon and can't clamp eyes on it myself. Some of you have seen this rig out out and about and I would like to hear what you think.

What if anything would you change about it if it were yours?
If your sister were looking for a TD would you point her at this one?
Is there anything about this rig that you think is just wrong?
I know that it had a little leak, and some water damage, that is cleared up and it is just a little spot now, so I am looking for other issues that you might think about if you or yours were buying it.

You can PM me if you don't want to go on record, but I appriciate any feedback.

Am I a silly girl to chance this? Well duh. But I seem to be doing it anyway so I would appriciate any help or input other than "you should look yourself" Frankly I would only barely know what I was looking at anyway. Is it pretty? Check, does the hatch close, Check, and so on. I have shipping under control, and someone I know to give me proof of reality, now I am hoping for some unbiased input from folks that have seen it.

thank you in advance
-mb
Just Remember, no matter where you go... there you are
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:58 am

...having seen it several times myself, I would say it is a worthy purchase for anyone wanting a very nice TD...I would recommend it to my sister or yours...specific, specifics, can only come from Thomas...and I would say he is an honorable man............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Lookfar » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:40 am

I've only seen it once, but that was enough - I'd buy it. Thomas built a fine tear.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:52 am

mb,

Do you have a garage? If not, don't do it. A tarp or cover would just trap moisture.

Are you willing to do the maintenance? It takes a commitment to preserve a trailer of this type. It is worth the effort however. It can be fun and takes vigilance more than effort.

This teardrop is a modern classic that will be recognized by tiny trailer affectionados and will be constantly admired wherever you travel with it. Are you willing to have strangers coming up to you at every stop and wanting to look at it?

Only $6000? What a deal. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 am

What a big fat rip-off !!!

For Thomas, I mean…to only get $6000 out of it.

I’ve never seen this trailer, but several months ago, I studied Thomas’ build journal for many hours. It’s pretty obvious he is a true craftsman, as anything he puts his hands on turns out top notch. Even when no one would have known, he never took a single shortcut that I can find during his build.

If my sister were in the market for a TD…yes…I’d buy this one for her in a heartbeat, sight unseen.

(Thomas…please send that hundred we talked about to the usual address…) :whistle:

That was a joke...the rest is dead serious.
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby forestfrog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:06 pm

I've seen it twice and in my opinion it's a top notch build!! There are several functional and unique features (including the sunroof, galley pass through, vehicle tires, etc...) that I wish I had incorporated into my build. I'd recommend it to anyone, including my sister, and at that price, it's a steal!
:thumbsup:
Kristi
~*~Stand still and be awed by Nature...~*~
forestfrog
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:13 pm

The LT is a great teardrop trailer.

I was fortunate to see the unveiling of the LT at Loyd Park. Thomas and my wife and I were entering the campground at the same time. From the posts of his build progress, I could tell that the LT was going to be a looker, but seeing it in person for the first time it was even more stunning.

The build quality is top notch. Although my teardrop is still not finished - almost three years under construction - I've been to several outings and have seen probably 80-90 different TDs and TTTs. Thomas' construction is right up there with the best of them (and better than a lot of factory built TDs.)
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Thank you

Postby byrdz1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you all - I think that 2bits and I are moving forward, I appriciate all of your feedback!
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. I am grateful for this buyer. Since I do not have to sell, I felt like I was interviewing for the ownership position and I feel like I have chosen well!

I know I could have priced it higher but the market is real unclear for this type of item, and I did not want to wait around for it to sell. I usually price things as a good deal so everyone is happy on both sides!

Now it's time to buy some land! :twisted:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

I am happy

Postby byrdz1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Works for me! Now on to shipping....
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:16 pm

congratulations to the both of you...love to see a good deal go down :applause: :applause: ....byrdz, please read Steve Cox's post again and take to heart what he advised...sage advice indeed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby davel » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:19 am

I'm really glad Thomas found a good buyer, but I really hate to see such a fine teardrop leave Texas. :cry: ;)
davel
Donating Member

thanks

Postby byrdz1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you Mad Jack and Steve. As I live in the great North Wet I am very aware of what moisture can do to something, My Toes! what is that between my TOES!!! Har Har. But really, I do have a garage, and will be keeping the LT Garged and warm. Wipe down after being out in the wet, and watch the seals. Any other advice? I have not had a "woody" before, so other maitenance ideas are welcome and encouraged.

Thanks again all of you

-mb
byrdz1
Donating Member

Interested in opinions

Postby byrdz1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:43 pm

So now I have a little problem. I have two VERY cool tears. LT is going in the garage for sure, but I need to store the aluminim sided rig over the winter as there are too many for sale and I am not just going to dump it.

So what makes good storage for a teardrop? I have found a place that is basically a barn. It is a little cooler in the summer and a little warmer in the winter, totally dry and out of the wet, but NOT heated. I live in an area where it gets down to 19, but doesnt' stay there long. Mostly it is wet and 45 for months.

So, does heat matter? what should I be looking for in a storage facility? there are lots of apartment garages for rent, and I could try to find another TD to share with me, but what makes good storage?

thanks in advance for your opinions
byrdz1
Donating Member

And where else should I ask this question?

Postby byrdz1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:44 pm

I ran a search, but there is so much information here, that if any of you know of a thread on this subject or another section to ask in I would appriciate that as well, thank you
byrdz1
Donating Member

Next

Return to South Central