Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Gadget Mans Adventure Trailer Photos

Postby Gadget Man » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Today I picked up my new Team Spirit 7x14 V-nose trailer.
I custom ordered this trailer from B&L Trailers in Princeton MN about 4 weeks ago. Of course it was built in Elkhart IN. Just yesterday Butch drove 10 hours one way to go pick it up for me. (I paid for full shipping)
Here are a few pictures of it on day one.
I have a lot of changes in mind, and that will all begin tomorrow.

My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Looks good you will be glad you got the rv screen door.
are you planning on useing the smaller door for a generator or was that to have easy out side access to storage space?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby pete42 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 am

very nice looking trailer.
when and if I ever get a cargo trailer one of the things I want is windows installed but I want them low enough to see out of when sitting down.
I found I spent more time inside my travel trailer when I was spending winters in Florida than I first thought I would
on a rainy day I enjoyed sitting either under the awning or inside on the couch looking out the windows watching the world go bye.
but that's me I really like your nice looking trailer I like your color selection
keep us informed on your conversion

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

HEY,

Postby Jeeper92 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:07 am

Do you still have your weekender?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks Guys,

Jwhite:
Nope, not for a generator, it will just be an access door to all my electrical and battery. It will also be a little bit of storage for electrical cord and wheel chocks etc.

Pete42:
I put the windows up high so that when I fold up the two Murphy Beds, one on each side, I can still see out the windows. I didn't want the folded up beds to block the view out when they are folded up.

Jeeper92:
Sold the Weekender about 2 years ago, then bought a big full sized Toy Hauler, didn't like it. It was to heavy. I always knew I would build another trailer someday. I guess this is it.

Today, once I got the trailer home and sat inside for awhile I changed the design of my bathroom. I actually gained another entire cabinet space inside.
I'm close to cutting holes in the sides for the power cord and the water inlet. Like in woodworking, "measure twice cut once" but I think before I cut a hole in my 2 day old trailer I'll measure 150 times then cut once.
Wish me luck.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby David_L6 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:01 am

That's a good looking trailer. I really like the side door (36"?) with screen door. I wish my trailer had that.

Are you going to make it all camper or will it be a "toy hauler"? I'm asking because of the rear ramp door. Mine will be a "toy hauler" which means the amenities will have to be kept to a minimum.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:38 am

The door is 32 inch wide, I thought 36 was just too big. and I'm not sure if that was even an option for the RV door. It has the full screen door and a window in the door.
It will be a toy hauler/camper. I'm going to do two fold down Murphy style beds, one on each side. I thought about one big fold down bed off of just the left side, but there could be times when I'm not camping with my wife, so if I'm with my Brother on a motorcycle trip, I'm not sure he would like to share a bed with me.

Yesterday I stripped off all the inside panels so I can get a look at the inside walls. I bought 14 sheets of 1" pink foam. It will give me an R-5 insulation factor.
Next will be wiring and making the actual cuts in the walls.
When I removed the ceiling panels, I noticed they messed up on my future air conditioner spot. I paid extra for them to reinforce a spot for the A/C towards the front of the rig, well...they put it in the back.
I can tell, since the roof trusses are doubled-up to support the weight.

My original plan was to mount my Fantastic fan in the back right away, then next spring rip out the cheap factory roof vent and put the A/C unit there. Now I'm going to have to take the factory roof vent from the front and put that in the back temporarily, and put my new Fantastic fan in the front.

Where are you guys putting the A/C units, front or back of the trailer??

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

location of ac unit

Postby lmajeff1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:08 am

I put mine in the center of the trailer
lmajeff1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby David_L6 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:55 am

I put mine in the front but I have portables, not roof mount.
David_L6
Donating Member

Postby Pyrofish » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:17 pm

I put mine on the rear of my two hatches. About 3' back of center. My bed is about center rear, so I didn't want the sun shining in when I've been up all night around the camp fire. The fantastic fan went to the front for that reason.

I also figured when I camp without shore power, I'd want the Fantastic fan away from the planned screen to draw through as much of the trailer as possible. My screen will be the back door, not the front. So sleeping in the middle, leaves me in the moving air coming in.

I also like how the condensate water runs off the back. The front is usually just a touch higher than the back when I'm all set up.
Pyrofish
Teardrop Master

Postby Gadget Man » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Worked on the trailer again today. Finished all the wiring, both 120 volt and the 12 volt DC.
It's all run through the walls up to the front where the power converter/charger will be.
I also worked up the courage to start cutting holes. I cut a hole for the main power, the water fill port, the battery vent and the furnace exhaust.
I guess there is no turning back now.... :lol:

I also started to install the 1" pink foam insulation. I do know one thing...I bought way too many sheets. I'm not sure what kind of fuzzy math I was doing, but I figured the trailer is 7 x 14 with a 3 foot V nose, so I bought 12 4 x8 sheets. Well, I'm over half way done and I have only used 4 sheets.

Plus a photo of a $1.00 car jack I picked up at a yard sale. I really helps stabilize the trailer when I'm working inside.

Gadget Man
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:03 am

I'm curious what type wire did you use for the 120 volt portion of your install? also the 12 volt.
In most campgrounds I have visited the electrical pedestal is located on the road side of the trailer when backed in,
I'm still getting ideas where did you install your electrical inlet?
I hope you can return the unused insulation,
that's a lot of screws to remove and replace
but I must say your trailer and the mods you have done so far look great.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vreihen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:14 am

Gadget Man wrote:I do know one thing...I bought way too many sheets. I'm not sure what kind of fuzzy math I was doing, but I figured the trailer is 7 x 14 with a 3 foot V nose, so I bought 12 4 x8 sheets. Well, I'm over half way done and I have only used 4 sheets.

Were the leftover 4 sheets for the ceiling????? :thinking:
vreihen
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:04 am

In most campgrounds I have visited the electrical pedestal is located on the road side of the trailer when backed in,
I'm still getting ideas where did you install your electrical inlet?

hrmm..
Most campgrounds here around here that I've frequented, as you look into a campsite the electrical power and water is on the left side. Which means if you back in it's on the right side of the campsite.
I mounted my shore power inlet on the right front side... But I could easily swing it most anywhere as I feed from a 50 foot drop cord.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Gadget Man » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Yup Guys, the water fill port and the 120 volt power inlet are on the front left side of the V in front.
I took the photo to close for everyone to be able to actually see where it is located on the trailer. They are all lined up and mounted in the front stone guard on the front of the trailer. Everything is on the left except an extra 120 volt outside outlet that I put on the right side of the trailer, it will be for outside power under the future awning.

The 120 volt red power wire is a 12/3 gauge extension cord I cut up to use.
The 12 volt grey wire is 14/2 wire I bought by the foot at Home Depot.

I have not started insulating the ceiling yet, but even after that, I know I will have at least 3-4 sheets leftover to return. The inside height of the trailer is 6 foot 8 inches, the foam sheets are all 8 foot, so there is a lot of extra pieces that can be fit here and there..

I think the next step is to lay the vinyl floor covering down so the floor trim around the outside edge can be screwed down over it to help hold the edges down. And then all my cabinets and bathroom wall will be on top of it.

Have you guys had trouble using vinyl floor coverings with the expansion and contraction due to summer winter weather? I've seen it bubble up in the extreme cold weather
Did you glue it all down tight or let it "float" ? :thinking:
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions