gas struts

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

gas struts

Postby seahorse » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:38 pm

My Benroy hatch weighs 40 pounds... (weighed on hinge with stick and bathroom scale).....Would two 20 pound gas struts work? :roll:
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:45 pm

...maybe but I would go redundant and use at least 60# struts so that when(not if) one fails the other will keep the hatch off of your head...you may want to look at the two sticky's for my gasless gas struts and Steve Cox's hatch struts...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby seahorse » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:59 pm

madjack wrote:...maybe but I would go redundant and use at least 60# struts so that when(not if) one fails the other will keep the hatch off of your head...you may want to look at the two sticky's for my gasless gas struts and Steve Cox's hatch struts...
madjack 8)
Thanks Madjack, I will go withthe 60#.........Your gasless struts are NICE :thumbsup: , but I'm kinda LAZY and just want to be able to open and close.
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 am

Gas struts are still an art to me. (Cause Andrew didn't turn all the strut information into a spreadsheet yet!)

I tried 90# struts, and they were too light. Then I went back to the auto parts store and exchanged them for 120# struts. They worked perfect.

Now you are probably wondering how heavy the hatch is. I don't know. I haven't taken it off to weigh it. Maybe Steve Fredrick knows? Steve?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby surveytech » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:34 am

there is a formula somewhere that will calculate the pounds of force needed for gas struts.

But in general, the closer you are to the hinge the more force you need to open it.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby seahorse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 am

mikeschn wrote:Gas struts are still an art to me. (Cause Andrew didn't turn all the strut information into a spreadsheet yet!)

I tried 90# struts, and they were too light. Then I went back to the auto parts store and exchanged them for 120# struts. They worked perfect.

Now you are probably wondering how heavy the hatch is. I don't know. I haven't taken it off to weigh it. Maybe Steve Fredrick knows? Steve?

Mike...
Thanks Mike, Your right, heavier struts are in order. The first time the hatch weighed 40#, (from the center of the hatch). It was weighed again ( this time closer to the hinge) with a weight of 60# :o . So the closer your strut will be to the hinge, the more weight it has to carry. They are an art to me also. ... will have to attatch some temporary supports to the sides (so they don't look like SWISS CHEESE ) :lol:
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby seahorse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:36 am

surveytech wrote:there is a formula somewhere that will calculate the pounds of force needed for gas struts.

But in general, the closer you are to the hinge the more force you need to open it.
Thanks surveytech, I must have missed your post somehow.........Yes the closer to the hinge you are, the more force is needed in a gas strut.......I learn something NEW every day. :)
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:42 am

seahorse wrote: They are an art to me also. ... will have to attatch some temporary supports to the sides (so they don't look like SWISS CHEESE ) :lol:

You should see my swiss cheese... I'll try to get a picture later when I get back home...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gerdo » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:47 pm

The closer to the hinge the effective weight that the struts have to lift increases. As you have learned a 20# hatch requires more lift closer in.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:06 pm

okay, here's my swiss cheese...

Mike...

P.S. Notice all the plugged holes in the side wall... :oops:

P.P.S. And that big hole in the hatch. That's where I tried to drive a shock thru the hatch. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go thru the outer skin. Any suggestions how I can repair that?
Last edited by mikeschn on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby seahorse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:10 pm

I got them on, and they look and work great :thumbsup: ........BUT, when I set the weight of aluminum skin on the hatch :o . I can see where the weight will have to be increased.........also take into account a windy day. Oh well, at least I know where I stand. It was just a little trial and error, and easier than expected. This forum is GREAT! (it strrrrretches your mind) :? . Thanks for all your input.
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby seahorse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:16 pm

mikeschn wrote:okay, here's my swiss cheese...

Mike...

P.S. Notice all the plugged holes in the side wall... :oops:

P.P.S. And that big hole in the hatch. That's where I tried to drive a shock thru the hatch. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go thru the outer skin.
:cry: WOW :shock: You must have been VERY frustrated, I almost made the same mistake by thinking they went the other way.(Thanks ANDREW)...As far as repairing, glue something decorative on it????????
Last edited by seahorse on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:29 pm

Mike, is that the Li'll Diner? boy you must have been P*SSED!!

(AS in A*GRY!)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mitheral » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:28 pm

mikeschn wrote:P.P.S. And that big hole in the hatch. That's where I tried to drive a shock thru the hatch. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go thru the outer skin. Any suggestions how I can repair that?

Pair of butterfly inlays, one on each side?
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Mitheral wrote:
mikeschn wrote:P.P.S. And that big hole in the hatch. That's where I tried to drive a shock thru the hatch. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go thru the outer skin. Any suggestions how I can repair that?

Pair of butterfly inlays, one on each side?

Or a wooden paper towel holder...
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques