Glue Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Glue Question

Postby vairman » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:37 am

I'm planning on glueing my luan over the roof this Sunday, and I was planning on using 100% Silicone as my glue. I am going to dampen the luan with water and vinagar to make it bend a little better, and I know that silicone likes damp when curing and it is flexable once dry.. I know that silicone holds very well because when mount control panels to the walls at work, we have to seal around the panel with silicone.. But when it comes time to remove the panel we remove the bolts holding it to the wall and it stays stuck, so we'll get the forklift and try to pick the panel up off the wall.. It's something to see when a 200lb control panel with a bead of silicone around it will cause the back wheels of a 5000lb forklift to come off the ground... Now thats some holding power..

So what do you all think?? Ideas? suggestions?? Let me know..

Greg :) :)
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:55 am

Titebond III or epoxy. I wouldn't count on silicone for anything but sealing applications. It isn't a structual adhesive.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Ira » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:56 am

Doesn't silicon eventually dry out and lose its adherance?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby SteveH » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:29 am

Greg,

Since you will have the plywood damp already, doesn't the gorilla glue require moisture to harden/adhere? I think it does, and it is supposed to be great glue, although I haven't used it.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby subtearanean » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:32 am

I know people that put things into space......they had an instructional seminar recently that detailed adhesives and the correct applications.

Long story short, Gorilla Glue came out on top for holding power, but due to it's "outgassing" was not suitable for aerospace.
subtearanean
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:41 am

Greg,
Silicone does NOT like water during application... It won't stick to something wet. Silicone doesn't stick to uncoated wood very well either. Gorilla Glue does like wet wood, but you will need plenty of band straps or other means to clamp the luan into position because Gorilla Glue will want to expand.
My guess is that the control panel thing is a metal to metal application for the silicone, right? Silicone does have structural value as an adhessive, but only with certain materials like glass and metal for example.

Postby josephhanson » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:03 pm

I used P/L glue for my camper It comes in a tube that you put on like caulk. It's waterproof and holds good.
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby Mitheral » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:19 pm

A polyurethane construction adhesive would work a lot better than silicone. I've used PL Polyurethane

From PLs site:
    • 3 times stronger than ordinary adhesives
    • Water and weatherproof
    • Bonds to wood, metal, stone, concrete, masonry, bricks

One or two big tubes is probably enough for an entire tear but it goes bad once opened so you might want to have a couple smaller tubes on had in case you only need a little amount.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby Mitheral » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:20 pm

Oh ya it also is repositionable for 30 minutes without strength loss, something that is very handy.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby vairman » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:23 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Greg,
Silicone does NOT like water during application... It won't stick to something wet. Silicone doesn't stick to uncoated wood very well either. Gorilla Glue does like wet wood, but you will need plenty of band straps or other means to clamp the luan into position because Gorilla Glue will want to expand.
My guess is that the control panel thing is a metal to metal application for the silicone, right? Silicone does have structural value as an adhessive, but only with certain materials like glass and metal for example.

Actuly it was metal to concreat...
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby critter » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:39 pm

hey all,
jmho but i think you can glue snot to a fish with gorrila glue. i have glued 2 pcs wood together a tried to chop them apart with a axe it wasent purty.i never got the gule of the wood relly you ought to try it on a couple of scrap 2x4s some time its a lot of fun if you like to tear stuff up. :twisted:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:23 pm

I used the PL polyurethane adhesive. It gives you good working time and sets up in a few hours. I was able to remove the clamps the same day.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chip » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:29 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha,,, critter you sure have a way wid examples,, Gorilla glue folks should jump all over that advertising gem :lol:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Here in Cincy....

Postby kirtsjc » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:45 pm

Chip wrote:Hahahahahahahahaha,,, critter you sure have a way wid examples,, Gorilla glue folks should jump all over that advertising gem :lol:

Here in Cincinnati is the coporate home and the R&D for Gorilla glue.

I shall have to get permission to photograph of their lobby display.... Some of the stuff they have stuck to things....

(Yeah, Madjack, I know, I know, but I need permission and that could take awhile!)
:R
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby critter » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:59 pm

hey chip,
that aint pickel juice talkin,you ought to hear me after 3 or 7 margraretas.....well you probbally will :lol: ive always been told i could make dead folks laugh ..although i dont relly know if they want to :roll:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion