I need help with aluminum trim installation

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

I need help with aluminum trim installation

Postby Tiki Dude » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:26 pm

I was trying to install my aluminum trim today, and it turned out to be a disaster. I bought the trim from the Lil Bear Teardrop parts guy so I know it is supposed to bend. This stuff doesn't bend, what is the secret? I have already ruined one 8' piece. Maybe the curve is too much, what do you guys and gals think?

Thanks,
Chris
Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Postby JohnF » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Chris - I assume you have annealed the trim piece with the candle smoke and then heated it to remove (burn off) the soot...that really softens it. The front of your TD looks like a very easy curve. If I see it correctly the top back (if that's a curve) might be tougher...I bent the "t" moulding around the bottom of the two doors on mine and that was a very tight curve and you can really persuade aluminum that has been annealed. A rubber hammer wroks just fine.

What procedure did you use? How thick is the trim piece?
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby Tiki Dude » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi,

It is the standard thickness for edge trim. I tried heating it with a powerful heat gun but it still rippled.

Thanks
Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Postby PaulC » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:03 pm

Chris, We need flames not air to anneal the metal.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby JohnF » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Chris, I sort of doubt a heat gun is enough...somewhat blacken the aluminum with the smoke from a candle...then use a propane torch to burn the soot off by moving the torch back and forth a few inches at a time...an 8-ft piece takes ten to 15 minutes to do...you need to heat the aluminum to just under the melting point..you might see just a hint of redness when it time to move on...some say to watch for a change in the color of the flame where it hits the metal...when it changes to a yellowish color , move! I have accidentally melted a piece by going too slow...you need to allow the metal to cool naturally after annealing it...hammering too much will "work harden" it an it becomes difficult to bend again. Use the search feature on this site and look up "annealing" and you'll get good information.

I have several heat guns that I use for the airplane but none of them could come even close to proving enough heat to anneal the aluminum.

Incidentally, I just pulled my Cubby out of the garage today for photos...just need another coat of paint on the fenders, but on a battery and tie it down and ITS DONE !!! Started it the first week of October.

Good luck.
JohnF
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:14 pm

:sweaty:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:40 pm

WOW a photo of Mike without wine! :lol:
Cheers
Paul
PS Love the safety equipment being used :lol:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby TomS » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:46 pm

What you're looking for is an orange glow itn the flame as shown here.

BTW -- Mike, don't you get burnt holding aluminum in your bare hands while anealing? That aluminum get HOT!
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:34 pm

Yea, no safety equipment in that photo... I was just doing a show and tell with out really warming up the aluminum. I probably should include a Norm Abrams disclaimer...

Don't try this at home, and always be sure to use your safety equipment! :tipsy:

Mike... :lol:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: I need help with aluminum trim installation

Postby grant whipp » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:16 am

Tiki Dude wrote:I was trying to install my aluminum trim today, and it turned out to be a disaster. I bought the trim from the Lil Bear Teardrop parts guy so I know it is supposed to bend. This stuff doesn't bend, what is the secret? I have already ruined one 8' piece. Maybe the curve is too much, what do you guys and gals think?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris!

WHICH aluminum trim are you talking about ... and WHERE are you trying to install it? Your picture shows the outside of the teardrop, so I'm assuming you're trying to trim out the roof-to-wall edge, correct? Only two types of molding should be used on that edge - Regular Edge Molding or RV Roof Edge Molding (yeah, yeah, yeah ... I know some of you guys have used aluminum angle .... ;-} ;-} ...). Regular Edge Molding is very pliable and should go 'round that radius with ease. RV Roof Edge Molding is thicker & stiffer, but should still go 'round that radius with little or no difficulty if you go slow and use steady, even pressure.

Or, am I not understanding your application? Without digging into my records, I can't remember what you bought from me ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:29 am

...we are using 1-1/8 X 3/8 RV insert molding and it went around a 2'radius with no problems and a 1' radius with just minor persuasion from the mallet....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:02 am

madjack wrote:...we are using 1-1/8 X 3/8 RV insert molding and it went around a 2'radius with no problems and a 1' radius with just minor persuasion from the mallet....
madjack 8)

Madjack, where can I see a photo of this stuff?
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 am

Paul, we got ours either from The Metal Company, or Brueners,
it also available from http://www.yellowdogextrusion.com/extmold02.htm and https://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalo ... uct_id=944 We have some already bent but not applied so when I get to the shop on Monday I will take a couple of pics...I know how everyone justs luvs da pics
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:36 am

Madjack, Had a quick look at those two sites. This stuff is still aluminum and still needs to be softened, right?
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Tiki Dude » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:41 am

Hi Grant, This is edge trim for the outside wall to roof corner. The trim is from Lil Bear and is designed for the curved teardrops. Do you have the easy bendy stuff in stock? I may get some of that for ease of installation.

Thanks,

Chris
Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques