Home built fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Home built fenders

Postby Doug Adams » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:01 am

I can not find fenders,that I like . What is wrong with building my own fenders? If I use treated 3/4" plywood, paint them and attach with angle metal , will this work? I was thinking of jeep style fenders.
IS PEACE WORTH FIGHTING FOR
Doug Adams
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:47 am

Yep, it will work. :thumbsup:

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:08 pm

Jeep style fender should be really easy.

I'm going to model up a home made fender like I have on the lil diner some day to see if it looks any good with sharp corners...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:37 pm

JEEP STYLE FENDERS

I've also seen this style dome in the diamond pattern...
ROUND DIAMOND PATTERN

Doesn't JC Whitney carry the jeep style fenders also? I know I've seen them before either them or Northern Tools or HF.
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby critter » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:59 pm

hey doug,
build away,if you want to see some relly cool home made fenders look at franks weekender.go to top of page and look at memberlist and scroll down to frank and look in his gallery. :thumbsup:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Also check out the homemade fenders on the Cowper, the The Vintage Plans section... up there on the menu...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:26 pm

Doug, I drew my own up, took the drawing to my mates metal shop and had them bent up.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:50 pm

Mike, what size fenders you got on the l'il Diner? The 9" or the 11" wide??
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:10 pm

John,

I have the 11" wide fenders...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:37 pm

For anyone else following this thread...when I was at RW Johnsons place picking up mine in Jan....he mentioned that he had a pair of Kit style fenders made up for 12" tires...he hasn't gotten the molds made up yet, and I didn't actually see them, but he says he has them...that will be a big plus for the HF builders....and to keep this on topic...Doug A you could easily make up your own fenders...I would make sure to coat out the interior of them with something like a Rhino Liner if you are building in wood...they are going to catch a lot of water and rocks...Doug H
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ira » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:48 pm

Doug! Tell me more!

I HATE my fenders, and top on my list was building nicer ones.

But I can't even wire a damn SWITCH--so how the heck am I gonna build decent fenders out of ply?

MORE INFO PLEASE!!! MY 12" TIRES FEEL IMPOTENT !!! THEY NEED NICE FENDERS SO THEY'LL FEEL MORE MANLY!
Last edited by Ira on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Ira...like I say, I didn't actually see them...he's a retired guy that plays with his old cars and builds trailers...he says that he has them, but for some reason hasn't gotten them produced yet...He's worried about selling a pair and then everyone is going to be building knock offs from his fenders...he's a good guy to talk to...he doesn't answer e-mail as where he lives has really poor service...check out Rich's list...I think I got Rich his phone number, your best bet is to just give him a call....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ira » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:22 pm

I just learned that Doug:

I went to his site, and there doesn't seem to be a way to contact him via email.

I'm gonna follow up on this, but I don't know why he's worried about anyone knocklng them off. If he makes the molds, who the heck is gonna take his fenders and make new molds, for 12" wheels?

This is a pretty small community, right? It's not like someone could easily get away with that.

I have no idea what kind of investment in time and money is involved in making those molds, or what his potential market for them would be--and maybe that's why he hasn't done anything yet.

All I know is you got me real excited. I HAVE to have those fenders!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:29 pm

You may have to narrow up the axle on the Crab for them to fit...I have no idea how wide they are, but would imagine that they are just a smaller version of probably the narrower Kit fender...like I say, I just don't have enough info here right now...maybe I should approach him and find out just what $ it takes for the mold production...and partner up with him... :thinking: Doug
PS Ira, check your PM
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Doug Adams » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I like the attiude. Go for it. My axel is a little wider than 4'. My fenders need to be wider than standard. Rhino liner sounds good for under coating water proofing. I will do it. Thanks for the input. If you see a fender made of plywood along side of the road, save them for me. I may have another to match.
IS PEACE WORTH FIGHTING FOR
Doug Adams
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques