A New Twist on a Tent Trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby Backwoods Guy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Dang, you're quick. LOL

After I hit "submit", it dawn on me what you meant.

So I went out and took a couple more pics, had the trailer up anyway. Here's a close up of the end of the pole:

And down the inside of the trailer:

Thanks for your interest, Guy

P.S. More pics at: https://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001/GuysNewTrailer
Backwoods Guy
Teardrop Builder

Postby woytovich » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:52 pm

So you fold one (or more) forward and one (or more) backward - so the poles overlap when they are down? Do you have to disconnect any of the attachments to the tent itself?
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby Backwoods Guy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:12 pm

When I take it down, I take the middle bow loose and fold it toward the rear, laying it on the bed. Then I go outside and lower the front bow, still attached to the canvas toward the rear also. Then I raise the tailgate and lower the rear bow, still attached, toward the front. Take the flap of canvas off of the tailgate and all other loose canvas and throw it on top of the bed. Cover it with a tarp and your good to go.

Setup is just the reverse process. I'm down to about 5 minutes in either direction.

In this pic, you can see I have plenty of room under the bed for storage tubs and I have room in the back behind the bed for 2-19 gallon Rubbermaid tubs, one is my kitchen box, and a 20 LBS propane tank that I use with my 3 burner stove. I still have room on top of the tubs to fit a box fan for those warmer night. I added a small door, ~11X27", in the front curb side corner to put my chairs and EZ-UP canopy under the bed. I haven't gotten good pics of it yet though.

Guy
Backwoods Guy
Teardrop Builder

Postby woytovich » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Excellent... thanks!

mark
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby Big Dan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Backwoods Guy wrote:Okay,

Now I have a question. I'm thinking about getting one of these tents:

I'm usually more of a road trip kinda guy, only staying in a place overnight and moving on the next day. But it seems one of these used with my trailer would add quite a bit of usable space if staying in one place for a few days.

Has anyone used one of these before?
I got one and I love it Image
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby tartosuc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:40 pm

i like that "dome" shelter in the last pic, what kind is it?
tartosuc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Big Dan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Its a coleman event tent, 15x15. Its 12.ft tall in the center and the side arches are 8,ft tall
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Re: A New Twist on a Tent Trailer

Postby adam25 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 pm

I was just wondering if you had any updates on your trailer or any input after a year of using it. Especially any feedback concerning the Kodiak Truck Tent
I've been thinking about possibly using the same ideas to build my own trailer
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piefoot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Hey Backwoods Guy. I'm not sure if you are still monitoring this one or not. Like you, I've been lurking and thinking, then lurking some more as I decide what I want to do for a small camper for my wife and I. Lately, I have been tossing around the idea of just buying an old used pop up tent trailer. I am recently retired and living on less money than I should be. As much as I think about making a teardrop, buying a pop up tent trailer or even some other small trailer option, I somehow keep coming back to your project.

I have a Harbor Freight red trailer with the 4' X 8' flat bed I have been using as a utility trailer for a couple years. I also have a boat trailer I bought more than a year ago when I first started thinking about this. I'm thinking that your new twist on a tent trailer is the best option for me taking into consideration funding and my construction and crafting skills. I'm not sure which of the two trailers I will use to build it on just yet but I am sold on the truck bed tent you used as I prefer canvas. Plus, everything I have seen and read about on that particular tent, it seems to be well made and should last much longer.

Have you finished your upgrade idea? If so, I'd like to see the results.
Last edited by piefoot on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TJinPgh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 pm

There is a utility trailer company called Littlegiant. They sell one that converts into a camper on their website, but there's an aftermarket company called Summithaus that sells a tent that's designed to go on that utility trailer but, as they point out, it would fit on anything with similar dimensions.

This is the tent that goes on it from Ebay...

The complete camper Aero is around $3k, but, if you feel like building a box for a utility trailer, that tent can be bought for about $60. Pretty good deal.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby adam25 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:36 am

piefoot,

If you end up going forward with your build, Dicks has the long bed Kodiak tent for $299, for some reason cheaper that the short bed version and the cheapest I have been able to find. Just purchased mine and hope to get started with my build soon.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12194750&kw=kodiak+truck+tent&origkw=kodiak+truck+tent
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

TJinPgh, minor correction on the SummitHaus, it is a tent like the TentHaus that LGA designed for the LittleGaint. The Chinese manufacture did not make the Summit version to spec, so they did not fit correctly (read; they DO NOT fit the LittleGaint trailers). So a number of pallet loads of SummitHaus tents where sold at Fire Sale prices. The company selling them on ebay / amazon is the one that purchased them and is reselling them. For a custom project there is nothing wrong with them except the size problem.

IMHO the notably heavier weight canvas used in a Kodiak truck bed tent is a much better way to good.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby piefoot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:26 pm

adam25 wrote:piefoot,

If you end up going forward with your build, Dicks has the long bed Kodiak tent for $299, for some reason cheaper that the short bed version and the cheapest I have been able to find. Just purchased mine and hope to get started with my build soon.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12194750&kw=kodiak+truck+tent&origkw=kodiak+truck+tent

Thanks for the link adam25. I can definitely save a few bucks there. I haven't started the build yet. I still have too much snow on the ground and this will be a driveway project so I need some decent weather. I'll be watching to see your project if you add it here. Good luck.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:00 pm

I really like this. It's light, simple, looks comfortable, didn't take years and a bloody fortune to build, and it appears to have everything you need. Bravo for a really good idea well executed. Enjoy it!
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby TJinPgh » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:26 am

schaney wrote:TJinPgh, minor correction on the SummitHaus, it is a tent like the TentHaus that LGA designed for the LittleGaint. The Chinese manufacture did not make the Summit version to spec, so they did not fit correctly (read; they DO NOT fit the LittleGaint trailers). So a number of pallet loads of SummitHaus tents where sold at Fire Sale prices. The company selling them on ebay / amazon is the one that purchased them and is reselling them. For a custom project there is nothing wrong with them except the size problem.

Ahhh, ok. I missed that. At any rate, still a cheap option though.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs