Recommendations for winter unmentionables?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:26 am

We Hoosiers are a brave bunch and try each year to be the first group out camping in the new year. So about the second week of January we go a' campin' ! I have no fancy namebrand this's and that's just everyday duds.

Things I have learned.... Wool socks on bare feet then 2 left over plastic shopping bags over them then a pair of athletic socks to hold everything in place then into my footwear. My feet are always dry and warm.

Long sleve cotton tee and sweat pants as the foundation ( later becomes my sleeping atire) . I simply slide on heavy jeans and up top over my tee I put on a pull over sweatshirt then a hooded lined sweatshirt. If wind is biteing I will even pull out my rain gear. It really breaks the wind and helps to retain the body heat. And for those that remember our last shivaree I even lock my big polar coat in the truck ( with the truck keys in the pocket) :fb in case it get cold!

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 pm

For those of us that canoe in winter or cold weather the saying is cotton kills, as stated it gets wet and stays that way. Poly Pro and fleece are about the best and not too expensive. insulated coveralls and or snow mobile suit work well.
I worked inspections in refineries where the outer layer must be Noemex (fire retardant) and worked comfortably at -20
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:For those of us that canoe in winter or cold weather the saying is cotton kills, as stated it gets wet and stays that way. Poly Pro and fleece are about the best and not too expensive. insulated coveralls and or snow mobile suit work well.
I worked inspections in refineries where the outer layer must be Noemex (fire retardant) and worked comfortably at -20

Careful with sleeping in just polar fleece! You'll be as furry as your dog heater by the end of the camping weekend! I dunno how, but every dog hair shed sticks to it and those fancy lint rollers are no match for golden retriever hair.

:lol:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 am

Yep ain't it so. The reaction time between needing a fly after the urge strikes and 1/2 way into the moment remembering you DON'T HAVE A FLY! Can be a prelude to disaster.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby DJT » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm

I'd recommend 200 series as a base layer (add 300 midlayer and a windproof shell for a full system!) from Woolpower : http://www.woolpower.se/en/default.asp

I've regularly camped down to -40 for up to 10 days without a problem using this system.

Dave
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Ulfrotte is great stuff, it's just ridiculously expensive.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Jeeves » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:47 pm

I swear by Patagonia Capilene. It's expensive, but it lasts a LONG time. You can get every thickness from silky up to fleecy expedition grade stuff.
Jeeves
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stumphugger » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Jeeves wrote:I swear by Patagonia Capilene. It's expensive, but it lasts a LONG time. You can get every thickness from silky up to fleecy expedition grade stuff.

I've got a turtleneck that I purchased at least ten years ago. I wore it at least once a week in the winter. I used to work out in the woods year round.
I still wear it. It has small holes torn into the seams on the sleeves. It takes forever to wear out!

For da below zero days in Wisconsin? I wore heavy duty polypro fleece under wool pants. Above waist? Layers. I heat up when I walk. A base layer of the Capilene or something similar, a lightweight fleece pullover, and a coat. Mittens/gloves, thermal socks--no cotton, and a fleece headband under my hardhat. Also, one of those things that you wear around your neck but can be pulled up to cover your nose, or worn as a hat...made out of polar fleece. I did fine with light weight insulated boots, as long as I kept moving.

For here in a milder temperature, but a wetter climate, I also layer. NO COTTON except for the waxed/or oiled tin cloth. I wear a pair of longjohns in polypro or a heavier weight of fleece, then my Filson Tin Pants over those. Socks are thermal either acryllic or a wool mix that wicks. Wick Dry is good.
For above the waist a capilene type shirt, then a light weight micro fleece top.
Depending on the temperature, how far from a vehicle, and my activity level, I might wear a rain coat. Usually, I just went without a rain coat as it was too hot. I kept dry spare clothes in my pickup. I wore the fingerless gloves. Uninsulated rubber boots were enough as I kept moving in them.

For boots, a boot dryer is a good thing to have if you are going out daily. Rubber boots get wet inside from feet sweat and they go on the boot dryer at night.

Think layers and you can't go too wrong.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby JuneBug » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Carhart insulated zip font coveralls are amazingly wam.
Last few winters in SW coloado used long johnbottoms (ditto on the no cotton) under jeans. It it is easy to remember to layer on top, but wam legs are very important. Ditto on keeping head warm as well as your neck. Snow pacs (rubber boots with thick felt liners) will keep the feet happier than anything else.

Also, using incredibly strong ginger tea helped. Get a big piece of ginger, grate it, put almost boiling water on it and steep for 5 minutes. Strain it and drink it neat. Strong. Good.

Can you heat up your bed before you get in it? A nice warm preheated bed is great -- just make sure you are not the pre-heater for somebody else!
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby azmotoman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:27 am

Pepper Skins @ Big-5 sporting goods. Worked on 27 degree morning with sleet on a motorcycle!
Money isn't everything, but it keeps the kids in touch!
Dinero isn' ¡t todo, pero él mantiene el interés de los niños!
azmotoman
Silver Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:18 pm

I'll add something here that I've heard from more than one hunter....

If your hands are cold, put on a hat. If your hands are still cold, put on another hat!!

Your body will scavenge blood flow and therefore heat from every other part of your body in an effort to keep your head warm. You can put on all the layers you want, but if you don't insulate your roofline you're gonna be cold!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby Moho » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 am

Growing up riding across country on Harley's, one of the things bikers do for the lower half of the body is wear pantyhose. Pantyhose, Jeans and chaps will keep ya warm in about any temp. I've rode in 10 degree weather (-10 in biker temp with the wind, they say subtract 20 degrees) and stayed warm all day.

Next time it's cold and you see a big, bearded, burley biker next to ya at a light, remember this, lol

Layers is what fighting the cold is all about
Moho
Teardrop Master

Re: Recommendations for winter unmentionables?

Postby jstrubberg » Wed May 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Moho,

I've seen duck hunters (who endure some of the worst weather of any hunter outside the arctic circle) do the same thing with the pantyhose. Good tip. Silk and nylon both do a great job of lifting moisture off of yoru skin and prevent that moisture from chilling you as it cools.

FYI, we jsut returned from a cruise in Alaska. My wife says the Cuddle Duds did a great job of keeping her warm in the 25+ mph wind we had on the boat. She was comfortable in just the duds, jeans, a tshirt and an insulated shell.
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby JenH » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Just a little tip too... When you are ready to retire at night make sure you change ALL your clothes (especially socks and undergarments). As you move around during the day (even in FREEZING temperatures) your body produces moisture. If you will change into completely DRY attire for sleeping you will stay warm and not get sick.. Learned this in Scouts and it really is crucial to not only your health but your comfort level at night..

Also.. my fav is Silk.. mine were handed down so I'm not sure the cost but even if you pick up a a piece a season it's worth the investment. I've had mine for 10 years.

Happy camping!!
Happy Travels,
JenH
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost.. They are most likely just trying to get away."
AGirsGottaGo.Net
JenH
Teardrop Builder

Postby gypsy97 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:59 pm

I have always sworn by Capilene, made by Patagonia. A set is expensive but they will last forever. I wore them when I backpacked on the Appalachian Trail through much cold weather. The thing I like is that when you put the shirt or pants on you feel instant warmth. But if the temps warm up a bit, you don't get overheated. Sometimes in the winter I sleep in them, and recently sent one of my sets along with my g-daughter who is spending 2 months in Europe, including Germany where it sometimes gets cold even in summer months.
I've bought them on sale at REI or go directly to Patagonia.com. This should be a good time of year to find them on sale. There are knock-offs available, but I swear by lightweight Capilene by Patagonia.
Gypsy
gypsy97
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets