Traveling to Alaska with Teardrop

Alaska

Traveling to Alaska with Teardrop

Postby Jim and Sharon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Hello. We have decided to make a trip to Alaska next summer--hoping to leave Indiana mid-May, travel from Indiana through Canada to catch the Alcan at Dawson Creek, then follow the highway on the standard tour. We are allowing 3+ months so we can experience as much as possible. We do not have a 1915 speedster, just a GMC 4x4 pickup (we decided the Jeep Wrangler would not quite be sufficient) and our Little Guy teardrop. We have a 10' x 10' tent which attaches to one side and gives extra living room.

Anyway, we are open to suggestions from experienced TDers who may have made the trip. We have been doing quite a bit of planning, but know we will overlook several things. Would love to meet any TDers who live up that way if we can make connections.
Jim and Sharon
Teardrop Builder

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:32 am

Take a charter in Homer, GO FISHING!! Take a couple spare tires on rims
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Jim and Sharon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:53 pm

jdarkoregon wrote:Take a charter in Homer, GO FISHING!! Take a couple spare tires on rims

Thanks for the reply. We have the spares ready to go. During the past week's camping, we ran into several other folks who have camped Alaska and Homer was suggested by all. Don't know about the fishing, though. We really don't do fishing anywhere...perhaps we can watch someone else.
Jim and Sharon
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:59 pm

I have relatives in Homer and have been contemplating a trip with the TD, but it's over 7,000 miles round trip, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that much sitting in the car.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jim and Sharon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I have relatives in Homer and have been contemplating a trip with the TD, but it's over 7,000 miles round trip, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that much sitting in the car.

<Chas>

You're right about the distance, but over 90 days or so, it works out to be managable, we think. We plan to take it rather slowly--with time to check out several places in a little depth rather than rush through them. We traveled for three months in the TD last winter from Florida to California and then back to Mississippi and up the Natchez Trail back to home (several thousand miles). This will be a longer trip but should still be fun.
Jim and Sharon
Teardrop Builder

Postby Betsey » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://tinycamper.com/alaska1.htm

You will have an amazing trip! Best of luck to you! :)

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

That sounds like fun! What an adventure!

Postby Alfred » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Wow! That sounds like fun! What an adventure! Post pictures!

AL :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jim and Sharon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 am

Betsey wrote:Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://tinycamper.com/alaska1.htm

You will have an amazing trip! Best of luck to you! :)

Betsey 8)

Thanks! Just exactly the kind of thing we wanted to see. We are more inspired than ever.
Jim and Sharon
Teardrop Builder

Postby tearhead » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Those gas prices were a blast from the past! But anyway, what a nifty thing to do! I aspire to do likewise one day. Right now were in the "no time" phase, though.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Jim and Sharon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:26 am

tearhead wrote:Those gas prices were a blast from the past! But anyway, what a nifty thing to do! I aspire to do likewise one day. Right now were in the "no time" phase, though.

Hang in there. We didn't even think about getting a TD until we retired. Now we are finding retirement to be all it's cracked up to be. :) :D
Jim and Sharon
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lgboro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:27 pm

I just saw your post -- I'm planning a 60 plus day trip to Ak next June - August if I stay healthy and the creek doesn't rise. I'm leaving out of coastal North Carolina and plan to stay until I run out of money or get ready to move on. Just bought a Jetta TDI that I hate to put on that many gravel roads but its headed that way in June. I'll pm you guys as it gets closer.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Zig » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:42 am

Take lots of gas (extra cans) and lots of money... Also eating out is expensive so... You really dont want to use your cell phone in Canada,... very expensive, and coverage is very slim... Walmart in Whitehorse is not what you might expect, also, gas stations are not what you might expect. If you see somebody selling gas, pull over and get some. as in campground, hole in the wall, co-op... did our trip in 2009. Our Blog: http://campinggills.blogspot.com
Zig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby razorback » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:51 am

Depending on where you camp I would suggest an electric fence.
Basically they are ski ropes with wire running through and they use 6 to 8 D-cell batteries. The bears will not bother you with an electric fence.
I have been to Kodiak 9 or 10 times and have gotten up with 15 bears along thre river. You can hear them walking around the tent but so far they have not bothered us with the electric fence.
The link below is an example of what we use.
http://www.waterstrider.com/bear-repell ... -fence.htm
Alaska is a magical place. You guys are in for a real trip of a life time.
I really love my time there and plan on going back as often as I can.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Traveling to Alaska with Teardrop

Postby mike66442 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

You will love Alaska, i live in North Pole,ak.
I would not use any kind of elec fence, it could piss a bear off not a good thing..... Of the 4 or 5 bear attacts a year, most are TOURIST. I.E. they are doing very foolish things, if at the river and you see a bear, you go the othere way forget photos, just leave them alone, dont leave food for them, dont try to run them off, You leave not them.... fallow the simple rules and the critters will leave you alone, and they will not bother you.

Ow and get a milepost book, it will help you with your trip.. there is plenty of places to get gas, just remember, the more isolated you are the higher the price, you should carry some gas (5gal) but you dont need to carry a lot, only if you are going to tour the back country.

The big thing is spare tires, I carry 2 for my back country TD, I drove the alcan last fall, I had all 4 spare tires with me, used 2 on the trip. My friend dident have a single flat on the trip. So have good tires, and have at least 2 spares.

I plan to travel to Denali this summer.

They need to have a TearDrop rally in Alaska..
mike66442
Teardrop Builder

Re: Traveling to Alaska with Teardrop

Postby mechmagcn » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm headed to AK starting in 3 weeks, going to the west coast, following the PCH to the border and take the ferry from Prince Rupert through the south east part. From there, who knows? I hope to be in AK 6-8 weeks, so I hope to travel most of the major routes available. Going to travel the Al-can south and cross back into the US into Montana. From there I'll just sort of mosey home :)
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Alaska