Side table

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Side table

Postby Tiki Dude » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:46 pm

I am looking to add a side table to the tiki hut and would like to know where to get the track that hooks to the side of the trailer. The table hooks right on it.

Thanks,

Tiki Dude

Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:49 pm

Do you want something removeable, for the exterior?

Your TD looks too nice to mess up with these:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page. ... 43716&ap=1
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby angib » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:11 pm

Because I'm so far away, I like the online catalogue (alright, catalog) at www.go-rv.com where you can select the nearest RV dealer.

Using a Seattle RV place, this is the catalog index and here's a table bracket.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby sid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:57 pm

Here are some available from Sailor Sams

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/table-mo ... ovable.asp

sid
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:59 pm

angib wrote:Because I'm so far away, I like the online catalogue (alright, catalog) at www.go-rv.com where you can select the nearest RV dealer.

Andrew--a lot of that isn't true from here.

Yeah, they list Coral Springs, Florida, where I live, but the place doesn't exist. It's just a link to another place in Texas.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby DrJerry » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:03 pm

When I was in West Marine a while back, they had some stainless brackets that looked like vertical sockets you could place on a bulkhead (or side of a TD) the shelf would then plug into the sockets. The display had a depth finder on it, sign said could also be used below deck for TV shelf, whatever. The advantage is that they won't rust. I couldn't find it on their website, however. http://www.westmarine.com/
Jerry

Watch and laugh as an Engineer with an advanced degree attempts to build a Tiny Travel Trailer:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/weekender ... weekender/
DrJerry
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:41 pm

...we used this one from tjtrailers.com. It is 30"s long so we cut it in thirds and in conjunction with two tables, we have 3 different mounting spots...one on each side and one off of the galley counter top....just all kinds of versatility :D
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby repete » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:47 pm

DrJerry wrote:When I was in West Marine a while back, they had some stainless brackets that looked like vertical sockets you could place on a bulkhead (or side of a TD) the shelf would then plug into the sockets. The display had a depth finder on it, sign said could also be used below deck for TV shelf, whatever. The advantage is that they won't rust. I couldn't find it on their website, however. http://www.westmarine.com/

Like these? Table mount
Life is short, eternity is forever, plan for your Eternity!!Image
repete
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ira » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:40 am

Jack, do you have any photos of that? Or can you explain how/where you mounted it?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:50 am

Ira, the setup is not mounted yet, so no pics :cry: BUT as mentiond, we cut the 30" piece in thirds and will screw on a section to the outside of the tear, on either side as close to the galley edge as is possible and the third piece will be attached to the edge of the counter top in front of the sink...this will allow the two table to mount at any of those points..either as "wings" on either side of the trailer or as an extension of the countertop in front of the sink...best I can do for an explanation at present...when they are mounted I will definitely have pics for ya
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IndyCubby » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 am

Hey Madjack:

That mount that you are using looks like a great idea...and I like it because it is very affordable; especially compared to some of the other table mounts I've seen online.

Being aluminum, does it seem like it will bend easily? Is it pretty heavy gauge? I keep seeing in my mind that really soft piece of rain gutter I put above my doors and how easily it dents. This is more durable than that, I'm assuming.

Thanks. I trust your opion.
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:24 am

...Indy it is a pretty well engineered piece of Al extruson in two parts...the two parts mount solidly to the table and wall and lock together in way that will not allow them to come apart unless the far end of the table is raised quite a bit...

...of course you haveta have a leg on the opposite end...we plan on using 1/2"EMT and flattening/bending one end which will attach to a T nut or insert on the bottom of table and pin to a small bracket to the side of the trailer, eliminating the need of an adjustable leg...the leg/struts will be powder coated...

...the two tables we have are 12 and 15"s wide X ?? long because that is the scrap we had left over in those sizes, we will attach a 10" long piece to the end of each and have no fear about it being stout enough to hold an ice chest or stove witha full dutch oven sitting on either of them
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:53 am

Check These photos:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:00 am

Kerry, is that an adj paint pole you are using for a leg................................... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:13 am

Guilty, as charged! :o

Edit: Sorry, I guess I should explain. I had a extendable washing pad that I got at HF for about $8 and it was not strong enough. So, I took the head from that and screwed it to the bottom of my tabletop. Now I can just unscrew the paint pole and put the two things in the tear seperately. That seemed alot easier than leaving the pole attached.
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques