8 mo plan

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

8 mo plan

Postby 2bits » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Unless I rent a camper for the weekend for the Beach Bash, Beaver's Bend will be my last gathering until I build my new camper.

Here's the scoop. Today I traded my Town Car in for a new (not brand new) F-150 and have decided to sell the 1978 truck and camper right after Beavers bend as well. I want to get my vehicle situation in order where it needs to be with one daily driver do it all truck and my weekend Monte Carlo. I figure not having a camper will highly inspire me to get one built too! Since I will be moving out to my land shortly, I will have a place to build and also since I am refurbishing my mom's old TT the build will be a lot faster. Brenda is on board with it being a priority and is also willing and able to contribute so the goal is to drop off camping after Beaver's Bend and be ready to camp again by Loyd Park or LCG at the latest. The new build will be bigger but alot more basic... No wiring whatsoever beyond creative power strip management, the interior will consist of a nice big shower, then shelves and cabinets for stowing gear, and a frame to hold the bed, so the interior should be a smooth deal.

My plan is to take the trailer down to the frame, while saving the sides, and modifying the profile to a more teardrop shape, then getting the exterior put together and water tight, then building the interior. this will allow for some git-er-done damping if/when the inevitable delays are encountered so I am trying to plan for reality.

I came to this idea when I was calculating the gas cost in driving my '78 Chevy to the Beach Bash and realizing that I could fly to Europe with that kind of money, so I probably wouldn't be able to go anyway, so why not just start with a clean slate as soon as possible.

So that is my plan for the next 8 months, the truck and truck camper have done great the entire time I have owned it, but I am ready to build what I really want now!!!

Just so the thread isn't with out Pics...

This is my new truck.. 2006 F-150 with 53k miles that I picked up for $10k:

My mom's trailer I am going to refurbish:

A similar profile that I am looking to do....
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: 8 mo plan

Postby starleen2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Looks Like a good start you have there. I'm sure you'll have it done (or at least campable) by LCG. I could introduce you to the 4 month plan if you are interested :laughter:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby 2bits » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 pm

I would like that Scott! I figure I will be camping at a park with facilities, so all that plumbing/shower stuff can be stowed to the end of the build, and I just need to get it water tight as step 1!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

8 mo plan

Postby aggie79 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am

Thomas,

That sounds like a great plan! Cool vehicle, BTW. :beer: Can't wait to see the new build/re-build start.

I'm trying to put together a plan for a build with a shower too but can't work out all the things that need to happen first.

Take care,
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 am

2bits wrote:I would like that Scott! I figure I will be camping at a park with facilities, so all that plumbing/shower stuff can be stowed to the end of the build, and I just need to get it water tight as step 1!

Thomas,
Do yourself a favor and save yourself some work. Although the thought of having the shell first - then fitting the interior may sound tempting - in the long haul - it's a lot of extra work. If you are planning to strip down to the frame and build back, then why not build from the inside out? Just remember that all the bulky stuff gotta fit though a small door once the shell is done. Get the side walls up and place a few spars to hold things together and then complete the inside as much as possible - then do the front, back, and top skins. A little more planning at this stage really pays off, but don't rush just to have a water tight shell
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby StPatron » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:51 am

Nice truck, Thomas. Welcome to the F-150 club. :thumbsup:

+1 on the advice from Scott. That was my approach also, worked super.

What's the current status on the land?

See ya at BB.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Thomas ...... I'm with Scott and Gary on that Idea ..... inside first to outside build.

If it is too tight or too small ..... you have to make it work ..... if it works the first time the outside is easy part :thinking:
Hope to see you at Beaver Bend in a few weeks ;)

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:30 pm

I will think about the inside out approach, I guess my main thought was that I would be that this will be a quick build and I was trying to ensure that I will be able to not miss my favorite gatherings, plus I will be building outside in the elements too. You make a real good point about fitting stuff through the door haha... funny I didn't think of that, I was thinking I would screw cabinets together inside the trailer which would work, but the shower would definitely be an issue. I will try to come up with a gameplan taking that into consideration.

No updates on the land, money is in place and I have enough money to move my mobile home now too, so we are doing the appraisal right now, and will proceed to the next step once that is done. Hoping for not too much of an appraisal shortfall!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby backwoodsman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:31 pm

sounds like a good plan Thomas.... Much better than my 8 year plan.

Greg
You don't know what you don't know!
backwoodsman
Donating Member

Return to South Central