Battery Isolator

Anything electric, AC or DC

Battery Isolator

Postby rappar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:48 am

If I missed the answer with my search, I am sorry for the question coming up again.
When I pulled a larger trailer, I always had a battery isolator installed. Now, i am in the process of purchasing a teardrop. It will have some 12v and 110 outlets, not many. Should I invest in an isolator or do most just unplug from the TV to avoid the problem of running down the TV battery?
If my TV battery is new and in good shape, do I need to unplug when I stop for a lunch break and have nothing on in the trailer?
Thanks
Ron
rappar
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 am

A simple relay, powered only when your ignition is on (most cars have a wire leading to the radio that can be tapped into), in the wire leading from the tow vehicle battery/alternator to your trailer connection is all that is required to isolate the two batteries. I'm not sure why an expensive (and I've heard somewhat unreliable) battery isolation device is required.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby dave_dj1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 pm

If you are just stopping for lunch or shopping I don't think you will have any issues at all. If the TD battery is in good condition and you don't go crazy on usage while stopped I think you will be fine. I have hauled campers for years and have never had a battery isolater.
dave_dj1
Teardrop Builder

Re: Battery Isolator

Postby PcHistorian » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 am

if nothing is on then don't worry about it. It won't pull any power. If you are charging a trailer battery from the tow vehicle then an isolator should be used. (and possibly stronger wire.) Truthfully, right now the 12v dc accessory systems in my trailer are completely separate from the trailer's traffic lighting system. (running lights, turn signals, brake lights.) So I would never have that problem, the two systems are independent.
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm

I ran the teardrop without an isolator, I just unplugged from the truck when we camped. I didn't unplug when we stopped for lunch and never had a problem. The trailer battery and start battery will be wired in parallel and will tend to discharge each other when the car isn't running but not fast enough for anything bad to happen in an hour or so.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby PcHistorian » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 pm

@bdosborn: do you have your trailer +12vdc for the battery connected to the tow vehicle's battery or to the alternator output wire, or some point in the ignition switch like an accessory or ignition circuit? (I'd go with ignition, then if you use the accessories on the key switch, you won't connect and drain both batteries. And when ever the car is on and running, then that will be powered to charge the trailer battery.
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
Build Forum
Build Album

PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:23 pm

PcHistorian wrote:@bdosborn: do you have your trailer +12vdc for the battery connected to the tow vehicle's battery or to the alternator output wire, or some point in the ignition switch like an accessory or ignition circuit? (I'd go with ignition, then if you use the accessories on the key switch, you won't connect and drain both batteries. And when ever the car is on and running, then that will be powered to charge the trailer battery.

I have a pickup with the factory tow package so I use the factory charge line. It comes off the main fuse block under the hood and it's not switched. I had a lot of charging problems (as in no charging) due to voltage drop until I replaced the factory 14# wire with a 6#. The Boxcar is a lot bigger electrical load than the teardrop was so I've installed an automatic combiner. It combines the trailer and truck whenever the voltage is over 13.3 or so. The truck charges trailer via alternator when its running and the trailer charges truck via PV panels when the sun is out.

http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby PcHistorian » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 pm

car batteries are 12.76 vdc when freshly charged and idled (no connection). I don't know what the deep cycles are at freshly charged and idled, but it should be at least 12vdc. You'll probably need a digital volt meter to test the deep cycle to the hundredths of a volt. but if you hook the two in parallel the one with the greater idle voltage will discharge into the lesser one, but both should be over 12.00 vdc. (provided both are healthy batteries.) I have not had a problem with tv batteries that still had 12.25 vdc in them. so if the deep cycle idle charged level is over that then there should be no problem. Ideally the deep cycle would be the greater voltage.
I should check on some current limiters and maybe some alternator diodes, just to play with things. That way both could get an equal chance at the alternator (get alternator diodes rated at that alternator's current flow) and nether would back-flow into the other with no loss of voltage or current.
:) :thinking: :thumbsup:
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
Build Forum
Build Album

PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 am

bdosborn wrote:Image

http://www.yandina.com/c100InfoR3.htm

Bruce

Bruce, I think we've talked about this Yandina thingamabob before. I think it was a thread based on the Sure Power battery isolator. Anyway, after your positive experience with this thing, I decided to bite the bullet and order one . Can't wait to get it installed. :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Cool, make sure and post a review! Don't forget to add the DPDT center off switch so you can have manual control over the combined.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm

bdosborn wrote:Cool, make sure and post a review! Don't forget to add the DPDT center off switch so you can have manual control over the combined.
Bruce

Why would I need the manual control? The instruction sheet mentions that green remote wire can be connected to a SPDT center-off switch, but is usually left unattached for automatic operation.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby zipz71 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Why would I need the manual control? The instruction sheet mentions that green remote wire can be connected to a SPDT center-off switch, but is usually left unattached for automatic operation.[/quote]

In case you ever want to move the trailer with out the battery installed.
Jeff
zipz71
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:
bdosborn wrote:Cool, make sure and post a review! Don't forget to add the DPDT center off switch so you can have manual control over the combined.
Bruce

Why would I need the manual control? The instruction sheet mentions that green remote wire can be connected to a SPDT center-off switch, but is usually left unattached for automatic operation.

Several reasons:

-When I don't want to charge the start battery from the solar panels or battery charger and just charge the trailer battery.
-When I want to force the batteries to combine, say because the start battery is dead and I want to use the trailer battery to help.
-Because I want to turn on the trailer running lights at the trailer plug with a jumper.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 pm

is there a schematic that somebody could post :twisted:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:52 am

Bruce, a schematic would definitely help. I've been scratching my head trying to figure it out, and I'm about to wear a hole in my head doing so. :oops:

Hmmm... DPDT... :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets