Trailer Siding

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trailer Siding

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:05 pm

I am in the beginning stages of building my first teardrop. I was thinking of using MDO (Medium Density Overlay) for the sides of my teardrop. I can get 4 X 10 sheet of 1/2" for $45 each. My idea for the wall construction was 1/2" MDO, 1" x 4" frame with 3/4" isolation & 1/8" birch on the inside. That would give me a 1 3/8" wall thickness. I was going to paint the exterior with oil based paint. Anybody out there ever use MDO?
rainjer
King Koleman

Re: Trailer Siding

Postby Artificer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:08 pm

rainjer wrote:...
Anybody out there ever use MDO?

Take a look at my project. 1/2" MDO exterior, 1" insulation, 1/4" bitch interior. I'm intending to paint the teardrop, so the fact that MDO is made specifically to be painted was my main reason to use it. Its also a very nice grade of plywood. Exterior glue, perfectly smooth sides... :D

Where did you find 4' x 10'?
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Postby sunny16 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Is that like MDF? Medium density fiberboard? Is it like pressed sawdust? If it is anything like a particle board I don't think it would be a good idea to use. It may fall apart. Just my thoughts..
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:24 pm

rainjer wrote:I am in the beginning stages of building my first teardrop. I was thinking of using MDO (Medium Density Overlay) for the sides of my teardrop. I can get 4 X 10 sheet of 1/2" for $45 each. My idea for the wall construction was 1/2" MDO, 1" x 4" frame with 3/4" isolation & 1/8" birch on the inside. That would give me a 1 3/8" wall thickness. I was going to paint the exterior with oil based paint. Anybody out there ever use MDO?

First, it sounds like you can get the same material cheaper in ply. $45?

Also, when you say 1 by 4 frame, you mean framing the walls, right? (We use the word "frame" here alot to mean floor frame, but I think I know what you meean.) But you don't need anything near as wide as 1 by 4's. 1 by 2's are fine.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Artificer wrote:
rainjer wrote:...
Anybody out there ever use MDO?

Where did you find 4' x 10'?

A local plywood suppler in the Seattle area called Midway Plywood.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:41 pm

sunny16 wrote:Is that like MDF? Medium density fiberboard? Is it like pressed sawdust? If it is anything like a particle board I don't think it would be a good idea to use. It may fall apart. Just my thoughts..

MDO is a out door product used in sign making. The stuff I found was MDO 2 sided. I really only need MDO 1 side. It makes for a perfect substrate for painting.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby GregB » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:21 pm

Umm, Artificer? If what you posted is right, it ain't the EXterior you need to worry about. It's that 1/4"bitch interior. I think that will cause you way more grief than the MDO; of course, if she's only 1/4" you might be alright,...

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Artificer » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:26 pm

sunny16 wrote:Is that like MDF? Medium density fiberboard? Is it like pressed sawdust? If it is anything like a particle board I don't think it would be a good idea to use. It may fall apart. Just my thoughts..

Its nothing similar: MDO is a type of plywood. MDO (Medium Density Overlay) uses 100% exterior glue. Inner veneers are grade C, while outer veneers are Grade B. The outer layer is a resin impregnated paper that is bonded to the plywood. It gives you a perfectly smooth surface, typically to paint on. The wood has high insect resistance. It was developed for making outdoor signs. If you seen a sign that wasn't alluminum, chances are it was MDO. For the same thickness, its typically stronger than regular plywood, and tends to be more stable.

For things being painted, this stuff is great. Only drawback is the cost.
Artificer
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:34 pm

rainjer

I know that the question of MDO was brought up awhile ago. You may want to look this thread over. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... hlight=mdo
and/or do a search of MDO. I don't know what the verdict is. It may be perfect for you application.

Welcome and keep thinking.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Will Smith » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:48 pm

I think MDO is called exterior sign board around here, Really good stuff, high quality. If that's the case should make for a good tear.
Benefit mankind, use your screen saver for something useful. More information here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Will Smith
Teardrop Master

Postby DIRK » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:11 am

i used 3/8 mdo it had mdo on one side 35$ 4+8 sheet it painted up great
DIRK
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques