Weekender status - 1st camping (update 10-21-12)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Weekender status - 1st camping (update 10-21-12)

Postby les45 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Big +++ for Northern Tool. Ordered my 5X8 trailer on Tuesday and it arrived in good shape today (Thursday). Can't beat that.
Now the fun begins. Will start posting pics as soon as I have something to show for it besides two big cardboard boxes.
Plan is for a modified Weekender that is still on the drawing board. Trailer construction starts tomorrow.
More to follow.
Last edited by les45 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 29 times in total.
les45
500 Club

Re: The build begins (modified Weekender)!

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:27 pm

les45 wrote:Big +++ for Northern Tool. Ordered my 5X8 trailer on Tuesday and it arrived in good shape today (Thursday). Can't beat that.
Now the fun begins. Will start posting pics as soon as I have something to show for it besides two big cardboard boxes.
Plan is for a modified Weekender that is still on the drawing board. Trailer construction starts tomorrow.
More to follow.

Can you share the URL for that trailer?

While you are at it, how about sharing the profile for your modified weekender. I'm thinking a modified weekender should come to a point in the front instead of having a flat surface. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

MIke...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby les45 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:33 pm

mikeschn wrote:
les45 wrote:Big +++ for Northern Tool. Ordered my 5X8 trailer on Tuesday and it arrived in good shape today (Thursday). Can't beat that.
More to follow.

Can you share the URL for that trailer?

While you are at it, how about sharing the profile for your modified weekender. I'm thinking a modified weekender should come to a point in the front instead of having a flat surface. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

MIke...

Here is the link to the NT trailer: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200356494
They must have raised the price in the last day or say as I only paid $479 plus tax while it was on sale. I think they put these on sale pretty often.
I looked for 5X8 trailers for a long time because I wanted some bigger tires, but just couldn't find anything within reason pricewise. I have these same 12" tires on an old 4X8 HF utility trailer that I have used for years and they have held up really well. If the 12" tires look OK with the Weekender I'll probably keep them and use the flat fenders that are on my HF trailer.

I plan to have a flat (vertical) section in the middle of the front wall in order to make more space for storage. I'll have two 12" shelves in that area to store suitcases and bedding and to give the side walls some rigidity. My goal is to look like a stretched Wazat. Everything I have read indicates that the flat front doesn't affect towing or gas mileage.

I'm still playing with CAD systems and Google SketchUp to develop some drawings for my build. Right now all I have are some hand sketches, but I plan to clean those up and scan them into my photo album soon.
les45
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Anyone have any ideas for a pointy nosed weekender?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:37 pm

I just had the same trailer delivered last week. Mine was $479 as well. Free shipping and no tax! :thumbsup: I did put it together, extended it to 10 feet but I haven't done anything else.
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:38 pm

crumbruiser wrote:I just had the same trailer delivered last week. Mine was $479 as well. Free shipping and no tax! :thumbsup: I did put it together, extended it to 10 feet but I haven't done anything else.
Frank

How did you extended it to ten feet?

MIke...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:03 pm

I took 2 of the center cross braces, and clamped, drilled and bolted them to the sides.
I had to cut off about 20 inches or so. I was wanting to save the weight, you can see what I cut off under the tongue jack.
I am adding 2 2x4s length ways. Right now, there just laying in position. I'm thinking that a 5x10 might be too heavy for the PT Cruiser so I may build a 5x9 or 5x8 and give myself a back porch. I'm planning on a rear entry TTT.
Frank
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:04 pm

I forgot to say that I moved the axle back. Just like the HF trailers.
Should I make these pics smaller?
Frank
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:15 pm

[img][http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=119&image_id=88817/img]
Better.
Frank
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 am

This is the concept that I'm going for. Shell is 5X10X4 on a 5X8 trailer. Still in the early stages of deciding on how cabinets will look.
Waterproofed plywood shell insulated top and ends only with AC/DC power and 6" foam queen mattress. Storage for ice chests and water jugs.
Propane stove, microwave and coffee pot somewhere in cabinets or storage area.

les45
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Very nice Les! I look forward to your build.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Another great supplier just came through. Ordered my manufactured doors from Vintage Technologies on Wednesday and recieved them today (Friday).
Ready to start making sawdust.
Hope to get some pics up by the weekend.
les45
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Looks good Les...

I am revisiting the weekender profile this weekend, hopefully with the help of DanLott. I'd like to see if it can be turned into a pointy nosed weekender to improve the coefficient of drag. However the cross sectional area won't change which is a major determinant of fuel efficiency.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby CarlLaFong » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Nice Eagle. I sold my Cushmans a few years ago, 47 model 52, 50 Eagle and an Allstate 811.40.
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby les45 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 pm

CarlLaFong wrote:Nice Eagle. I sold my Cushmans a few years ago, 47 model 52, 50 Eagle and an Allstate 811.40.

I sold that one a few years back also. It was another phase that I went through. It was a 58 Eagle hopped up with a 10 hp Tecumseh electric start and an industrial automatic clutch.
It would go zero to 60 faster than most cars but it was just too scary sitting on two wheelbarrow tires with the old original drum brakes at that speed.
Hoping the teardrop phase will be a little more uneventful.
les45
500 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals