Radio antenna follow up question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Radio antenna follow up question

Postby kartvines » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:20 am

Yesterday I went to Frys electronics to look at radio antennas, hoping to find one with a standard cable type coax connection, within their entire stock there were none, so not having a lot of background in this type of car antenna, my question is can they be converted over to allow for this type of connection? I bought a aftermarket replacement antenna cable. It looks like a single piece of wire, I have not cut the end off yet to see if it is two wire or not. if it is two wires then I most likely can install a pull off type of coax cable end to provide me a connection to my winegard antenna. Can anyone help me out with information that would help me. Like I said in my last posting I want to use the same antenna for my TV and my radio. Thoughts or feed back? :thinking:
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby IndyCubby » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:07 am

Hey kartvines...

I have kind of the same problem that you do. I have a stereo/CD/DVD/TV Tuner head unit (like for a car) and small 8" LCD screen. I put a regular car antenna on the side of my tear. The radio/tv tuner has an input for a regular car antenna plug and one for a coax cable (like on the back of a VCR or TV. I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Radio-Antenna-Y-Adapter_W0QQitemZ5864839615QQcategoryZ32812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

and now I'm trying to find (or make?) a short wire/adapter with a car radio type antenna plug on one end and a coax connector on the other.

I think you said that you bought a TV antenna to start out with, so maybe your solution will be in reverse to mine?
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby kartvines » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks for your feedback, I went ahead and cut the antenna wire of the car antenna, and discovers a small coax type cable, too small to add a standard coax connection. I went ahead and soldered a piece of 18g wire to the end of each of the coax wire and then added a slip on rabbit ear type of coax adapter. I don't know if this will work because now both wires run common to each other instead of the split system of the radio antenna wire. :thinking: I hope it works so I do not have to install another antenna for the radio
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Return to General Discussion