Alabama....tags required?

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Alabama....tags required?

Postby Woodstramp » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 am

Any Bama TTT builders here?

Just wondering if tags are required for these small rigs?

Also, if required,is it a big deal to get a tag for something that is home built? Thanks.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby driftwood » Wed May 25, 2011 1:01 pm

supposed to tag it, sorry. If home made, will require a 15 digit serial number of your own creation affixed to it or stamped on frame or something. Will also have to get it inspected to ensure trailer lights, brakes, blinkers etc are in working order before you can get tag. I think the Sherriff dept does that- may want to call nearest county courthouse to you and make sure. Bought mine in GA last Dec and still have not tagged it... cant get right tailight working (imagine that-trouble with tail lights!).
driftwood
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

thanks driftwood for the info....will check.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Woodstramp » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:58 am

Just wanted to say this for those who might be interested in getting a tag for a homemade TD here in Bama.

I did get a tag...but...

First, I called county probate office....probate dude said I absolutely, positively needed a state issued VIN before I could get a tag and apply for a title.....he told me to call the Alabama Dept of Revenue.

Called ADR...got a hold of your typical state employee (the kind who sounds like you're cutting into her manicure time with your call). I described to her (in detail) what I had built and what I was trying to do with the title/tags. She gave me a an ADR webpage to download a PDF form.....she said fill it out and have it notarized and send it in. They'd process it and issue me a VIN. I noticed that this form, INV 26-1, was for a utilty trailer.....called the ADR lady....she said just write in "Travel Trailer" over "Utility" in the box.

After I did this I noticed that there was a disclaimer on the second page of the INV 26-1 form that states you don't need a "VIN for a trailer that is less than 16' and has a single axle"......called her back.....she said send it anyway.....I did....also included a pic of the camper.....get an envelope back from ADR in two weeks......

.....no VIN issued.....just the stuff I sent ADR and a cover letter stating that the state of Alabama no longer issues VINS for trailers "less than 16' and with single axles"..... :?

I go back to my local probate office and explain all you all have just read. He just shook his head in disbelief and told me "Im going to issue you this tag....it will be a standard utility trailer tag....but you need to make sure to keep all this rejected ADR stuff to show the state trooper who might nail you on this..... as proof you tried to do the correct thing."

I did have to have a stamped serial number of my own creation. Seven digits worked fine according to the probate guy. Paid $18 and was out the door.

Aparently, small (less than 16') homemade single axle campers fall in a grey area of state law.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby driftwood » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 am

Sorry if I gave some bad info before, was relaying what they told my wife. And to contine the saga of bureacratic confusion, here is my currnt situation:

- bought the 8 ft homemade trailer in GA, where it was tagged, and a 10 digit VIN number riveted on the tongue
- wife takes it to the county office, is told we need a 15 digit number and inspection of the trailer ligths from sherrif
- I call to confirm this is the process, and am told that if it was tagged in GA they can transfer to us. And that we dont need sherrif inspection. And that if a 15 digit VIN number is required, we can write it on it with a marker- they dont care.
- I told her what wife was told first time. She had no comment, just said bring it back in and they would look at it. I told her I would like to clearly know the process before coming so I come prepared. She just flat didnt know.
- Will try another county office and see what they say and report back..
driftwood
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:32 pm

No biggie Driftwood. Hope your situation gets squared away.

BTW, when I was with the probate guy I was thinking that I'd need a longer serial number. Probate guy said: "Let me try some numbers to see what the system will take (meaning minimum ammount of digits)"

He tried 5...no go..6...no go....7 digits worked.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby PaPa Smurf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:30 pm

:?
James 4:14......
You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.
PaPa Smurf
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Another update on my tag...... (as if it can't get screwyer) :)

If you read this thread you know I already, finally, got a UT (utilty) tag and was all legal.....not so fast...

We have to renew in October....got all our tag notices in the mail in late Sept. Wife went down to the courthouse to renew all the tags in Oct. All was cool with all the cars. The clerk had trouble finding the renew cost on the camper in the computer system. She told the guy (head of office) I'd dealt with earlier....he said he remembered my ordeal from a few months ago and had studied on this since we talked last. He told my wife that we needed a regular TL (travel trailer) tag. :?

That was like $54. Bummer it costs more, but now I'm suposed to be 100% legal. :DOH2:

Now you can see why I left working for the state after a 10 year stint. :roll:
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Re: Alabama....tags required?

Postby jeff0520 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 pm

One benefit of building on a HF chassis.....Certificate of factory origin with a VIN already stamped on the frame. I haven't gotten a title or tags yet, but I assume that certificate of factory origin will make it all go smoother. :)
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby blue66 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 am

Just registered my trailer, I made up a number and they gave me a tag. The total cost was 18 dollars. I thought they would require inspection but they told me they no longer required those.
blue66
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Babartlett » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I am ready to start camping in my custom built teardrop and I am hoping to get it registered tomorrow!

I am located in Birmingham, AL which is in Jefferson county. I have been doing some research on registering but haven't gotten very far.

What I learned from the internet:
- My trailer would not require a title because of the size and age.
- Not much about whether it should be considered a utility or a travel trailer. It sounds like pop ups are considered utility..

From what I learned when I spoke to a particularly unhelpful person at the Jefferson county license office:
- I need to bring a bill of sale for the trailer. Include the dimensions and type of trailer.
- I need to assign it a 16 identification number
- And I DON'T need to bring it in for inspection.

I don't have a good idea of how to write a bill of sale for a trailer that I built myself!?! I am also afraid that whatever number I put down for "sale" will come back to bite me with a hefty ad valorem tax. Do you even need to assign a value to the trailer when you register it?

Any help before I show up at the license office tomorrow and get harassed would be greatly appreciated!

Also my build, the "Tow-ster", can be found here.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60166
Babartlett
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikerueve » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:01 am

I had mine built on a Northern Tool trailer. It had a certificate of origin and title that came with the trailer kit. I took that to the License office, handed it to the lady at the counter and said "I need to get a tag for my trailer". She looked at the certificate, noted the serial number, and issued me a Utility trailer tag. I also had all of the paperwork from the builder. Bill of sale, description, etc. They weren't interested in that at all. I had already planned on telling her that "it's a trailer that I carry my camping gear in" if there were any further questions.

We took the tear on a 5000 + mile route 66 adventure this summer and never had any problems with any law officers. Just the usual questions.....

No problems with renewal either. I guess it's all about how you present it in Alabama........
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gold5one » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:34 am

mikerueve wrote:We took the tear on a 5000 + mile route 66 adventure this summer and never had any problems with any law officers. Just the usual questions.....

No problems with renewal either. I guess it's all about how you present it in Alabama........

5 years ago my daughter bought a 24ft travel trailer for cash- cheap- no title. I told her that she will get into trouble without a title. Hmm, she hooked up and towed it to North Carolina and back stopping at numerous places- all without a license plate or registration. Not once did any police officer even give her trailer the once-over. She also had a California drivers license- suspended for unpaid parking tickets, which she claims she paid. Nope, no trouble at all- and she was stopped once- officer took her license, ran the number, came back, told her to drive safely and let her go about her business.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Hey, Gold5one, I think what you are experiencing with your daughter is the power of the "cute chick" factor... :D
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby Gold5one » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:46 am

Yes, the cute chick factor. Twenty years ago when she was 16 she told me, "with my good looks, I'll never have to work hard", and she knew it. However, she just got her MBA, so I guess she plans on getting a real job now. I was stopped in SC by police almost 30 years ago, I didn't realize I had expired tags ( I let my wife handle that stuff), the officer just wanted to check me out- he let me go and suggested I get my Florida renewal sticker put on my plate asap.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Next

Return to Southeast