Building the Dogcatcher

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Building the Dogcatcher

Postby Jkester » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 pm

After spending most of an 11 hour ride from Florida to Virginia looking over all the TNTTT boards we have decided to build our 1st teardrop. It's starting to shape up as a cross between a Grumman & a Cub profile.

I found a trailer that looked like it would work at Northern Tool (5' x 8') and we were ready to get started. I noticed the tongue didn't seem to extend far enough forward so I stopped by the welding shop I use and had them extend it a couple of extra feet. They also added angle bracing and supports for rear stabilizers.

Since I had sheetmetal available I panned the bottom of the trailer with 26 gauge galvanized metal and framed above it with 2" framing to end up flush with the top of the angle iron.

The 2" board insulation is glued to the sheetmetal with contact cement and 3/4" plywood covers it all.

Well, I can't seem to find the rest of the pictures right now :? ... More to come later.

James
He who loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.
-- Proverbs 12:1

Our build journal is http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50670
Jkester
Teardrop Builder

Re: Building the Dogcatcher

Postby Jkester » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:58 am

Found the other pictures.
:)

Rhonda found a floor remnant that she liked so we went ahead and installed it while everything was open. I am going to seal the edge of the plywood with epoxy but should I have coated the plywood under the flooring? It's just stapled down on the edges so I could remove it with little trouble.

Have a great weekend,
James & Rhonda
He who loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

Jkester
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jkester » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm

We learned several new skills this week working on the Dogcatcher. I bought a cheap router, cut a couple of dados, took the cheap router back and got a Bosch 2.25 hp. What a difference that made. Cuts are smooth, the router doesn't bog down and bounce around. It was a great investment (in lower blood pressure).

The week started with our frame building. We went with 3/4" plywood and cut a bunch of holes in it to lighten the weight of the walls. We are building 10' walls so I overlapped 2 sheets (about 2") and glued them together. Seems pretty strong.93060
I saved the cutout pieces to use for insulation patterns later on.
Then came what has been the most frustrating part so far. We wanted a contrasting accent strip of wood across the face of the wall similar to the "Lil Diner". Steve's manual explained it in great detail and we jumped into the wall cutting certain that things would go smoothly. Well after a hour or two of butchering wood I switched from the router (still the cheap one at this point), tried a RotoZip with no success and finally used a jigsaw to get the pieces cut out. It was a stressful day but things worked out well in the end. We had a backup plan of adding pinstripes if the joints between the different woods didn't look too good.
:cry:

Then it was on to epoxy and fiberglass (another first for us). It still amazes me to see a "white cloth" disappear when putting the epoxy on.

While waiting for the epoxy to set up we built the little wall area for the front of the TD. We're thinking we might use some of this area for the electrical and battery but we aren't sure we want the battery near our head when sleeping.

That's all for this week. Next week we may try to stand the walls up.

Hope everyone has a great week.

James & Rhonda

Jkester
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jkester » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 am

This week was the wall raising for the Dogcatcher. I picked up a Kreg jig and it seems to make for a good joint where the walls meet the floor.

And the walls are UP!

Rhonda got busy filling the walls in with insulation. Good news - she still has all her fingers.

I added cabinets to the inside and got it ready for the ceiling.

We finished the weekend by adding 1/8" plywood (we ended up using poplar) for the ceiling. I was worried that the ceiling was so thin that the brads would pull thru so I ended up glueing the spars to the ceiling and making some braces to wedge them together until the LN set up. I'm hoping that this will hold up to the vibrations of traveling.

It's been a good week for the Dogcatcher. Way too many other chores were neglected but there's always tomorrow.
Have a great week.
James & Rhonda

Jkester
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 am

James and Rhonda,

The Dogcatcher looks fantastic. Y'all have accomplished more in a week and a half than I did in two years. Keep up the good work!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Jkester » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

Tom,
Thanks for the encouragement. I spend a lot of time looking thru your build journal to kind of guide me along. You did a great job of documenting the project.

Since I'm getting ready to start wiring the td I noticed that you have one overhead light in the cabin and one in the galley. Have you found that to be enough for you? I have 2 of the dome lights that I was going to mount on either side of the fan but I would love to use one inside and one outside if possible.
Thanks,
James

Jkester
Teardrop Builder

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am

Looking great and wow alot done in a short amount of time.

I have 4 puck lights inside and its more than enough in fact i would say two would be fine. i also have reading lamps at the head and one in the loft. worst case if you just put one in than you can add rope light later on, just a thought.

i did the same thing thing with my roof i put the 1/8th inch cherry up and glued in place and held in place with some old fencing my son brought home. i had a seam and just ran a thick piece of poplar across it and then all the edges i put trim to hide the mistakes and hopefully keep it in place, if the glue fails.

"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:12 am

Looking real good! Love the floor too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Return to Build Journals