Alaska Gathering?

Alaska

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Gage wrote:Do we still have to check our guns at the border or leave or ship them home? I didn't ask that did I? ;)

Have a good day.

8)

Gage, don't ever cross the Canadian border with a gun. If you are contemplating it, I'll give you my Dad's phone number. He spent 5 days in a Canadian jail when they found a handgun in the safe of his Prevost Motor Coach..............oh yes, and they confiscated his coach and over $80,000 worth of raw jewels for his jewelry business. It took $10,000 in fines and attorney fee's to get the whole thing cleared up. So don't even think about it.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby davel » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:10 pm

Leave your radar detectors at home too. They don't like them. :thumbdown:
davel
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:30 am

I've been across the Canadian border twice. Was able to mail my gun back home the first time and didn't take one the second time. That was many years ago and is why I asked the question. Have no plans on taking it if it's not allowed.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:31 am

s4son wrote:Dean,
Is that the stuff that makes you wear funny pants and hang a license plate around your neck?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott F.

I don't believe so, I think pure High Sierra air causes that. :applause:

Postby doug hodder » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:01 am

s4son wrote:

Dean,
Is that the stuff that makes you wear funny pants and hang a license plate around your neck?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott F.

No Scott... weed doesn't do that....it's just a wacky/twisted sense of humor...I don't care if someone laughs at me or with me....as long as I can make them have a good time, have a laugh, then my job here is done, and if it takes wearing stupid pants and wearing a liscense plate around my neck...well that's what it takes...and I can live with that...and if you only knew just how stupid I am.........still wearing dumb pants and a liscense plate, and I'll bet I"ll still wheelie a dirt bike into the old folks home!!! 8) Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:49 am

Entering Canada (w/link to firearms rules).
    Ferry firearms rules.
    Fred :snow
Last edited by alaska teardrop on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Blame Canada

Postby Guy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 pm

I guess since "South Park" and their Blame Canada, people believe you need to carry a gun trvelling in Canada. As paranoid as strip searching Mother Teresa.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Canada, guns, and passports

Postby spyderhead » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:48 am

We are planning on taking our teardrop up through Canada and into Alaska this summer. As of yesterday, no passport is required to cross into Canada (but it is in the works for later); also, handguns are banned in Canada, but rifles/shotguns are OK with a permit (good for 60 days and costing less than $50). As of 3/29/06, those are the actual facts on rifles, shotguns, and passports.
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:26 pm

:) :thumbsup: 8)
    Spyder - I hope that you have a fine vacation. Have you set a date & itinerary? If you were to start a thread about your plans & experiences, I'm sure that it would be welcomed by others considering a Canadian/Alaska trip. Maybe, you could even post a running travelogue! (with 'Da Pics 8) of course).
    Also, hope that you find AK travel links useful.
    Fred :snow
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Finally, some pics

Postby spyderhead » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:56 pm

I finally got around to posting some pics (in our gallery) of our trip to pick up the teardrop in Ohio. Now . . . just counting the hours until we can leave on the Great Alaskan teardrop adventure! ;)
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Alaska trip website

Postby spyderhead » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:37 am

So I don't monopolize space here, we are setting up a website that should be up in a few days. We're going to try to chronicle the whole trip there (including facts, data, on the VW TDI that I'll be pulling the teardrop with).
I'll let you know as soon as we get the site up and running.
spyderhead
Silver Donating Member

Postby Finntec » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:57 am

We just returned from our 28 day NY to AK teardrop trip. Every part of the trip had it's own charm and beauty, but the highlights were Valdez fishing and scenery; Canadian border to Skagway; and Jasper Park in Alberta. The drive was great. It was really long. Especally through portions of central Canada. I have to say, now seeing close to 2/3 of North America. Jasper Park has my vote for the most bang for the buck! Relativly close, and excellent scenery and wildlife. I want to create a web site documenting the trip, as others have. I don't know if I would do it again in such a short period of time. I think two months would be better. It would also allow us to see more of AK. I will return to AK in the future! -Ray
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:35 am

Been to Jasper, Ray. Did a 60 mile hike there. I can second your opinion of the place. Georgeous country. :thumbsup:

My girlfriend and I are hoping to take a month and go up through AK, but maybe we should start thinking about 2..................or maybe more. I've always wanted to really see that part of the world. Glad you had a good time.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Finntec » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:19 am

Chris,
Our main reason for needing more time is that many roads we wanted to travel are under construction, or are gravel. We needed to travel at about 35mph rather than 60mph with the TD. The frost heaves sneak up on you. Most of the time the roads are fine. Only about 5% were "bad". The unprotected tear needs some refinishing from the oil and tar on the wood sides, stones being kicked up at it, and diamond plate on the front of the teardrop to cover the dents in the metal front. Oh yeah, and new fenders. They started to fall off 60 miles from home. I got a good 10K miles out of them before they fatigued.
With all the needed repairs, we would do it again. Alaska is so big, it is tough to see it all in one trip. We can't wait to go again.
BTW we saw 6 TDs on our trip. A couple of TABs, Camp-Inns, a home built, Lil Bear?, and a Little Guy.
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:09 am

Someday.............................

Chris C

PreviousNext

Return to Alaska