Mounting fenders

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Mounting fenders

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:11 am

I got a question, I noticed that Jack used quite a few bolts to hold his fenders on. I didn't use near as many as he did, now am wondering if I should go back and add more. What would be the minimum number of bolts that should be used?
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Re: Mounting fenders

Postby Micro469 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:14 am

Jim Marshall wrote:I got a question, I noticed that Jack used quite a few bolts to hold his fenders on. I didn't use near as many as he did, now am wondering if I should go back and add more. What would be the minimum number of bolts that should be used?

ONE...LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Jim, I don't know the answer, but you did ask for the minimum!! :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Krob » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:38 am

Don't forget to put a nut on that one bolt, hate too see it fly away :lol:
Krob
Teardrop Builder

Postby Leon » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:24 am

test how many bolts allow it to fall off and add one. :lol:
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:58 am

I posed this question a while back when someone else had posted pics of their fender mounting scheme. They had twice as many bolts as I have so it made me wonder. I only have 4 bolts on each fender, the 2 on the bottom are thru bolts with nuts and fender washers and the two on top go thru the side with fender washers and Tee nuts. I was told that it was fine.

I found the thread:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=52746
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:47 am

Jim, I think a lot depends on the kind of fender, the stifness of the mounting brackets, the weight of the fenders and are you gonna use it as a step or seat,, I am running 3/4 radius 7"wide steel fenders and with three mounting brackets and 6 elevator bolts they are solid as a rock,,, they cant be used as a seat but they are not going any where the trailer dont,,

If it is firm and solid to the tear then it should be jest fine

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:58 am

Jim, we used 10, 1/4" bolts thru bolted...when we laid it out that just seemed right to us for fiberglass fenders...also one fender seemed to be a little warped and had to be "pulled" up flat to the side and 10 bolts would do that better than 4 r 6...just the way it worked out for us...we aslo used some 3/16x1.25 weathestip for welting and that worked really well also
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:20 am

John, Krob and Leon you are right I did ask and I recon that is a good enough answer. :lol: Kinda left myself wide open for that one.hehehe
:)

Chip our fenders are 8 inchs wide, steel 1/2 radius, I think. I remember your fenders, and ours are a little more of a radius. I didn't get any mounting brackets, I just drilled through the lip on the fenders. The two bottom bolts are 3/8 inch and are drilled directly through our frame, and bolted solid. The top one is a carrage bolt through the side wall. I had to space the top of the fender away from the side wall 3/8-1/2 inch because of the way I built our trailer, in order for the fender to be plumb and not be leaning toward the side. The fender seems to be very solid. But in Asianflava"s and Jack's post, they had more bolts so I am going to add at least two more bolts which will make 5 bolts each fender.

Jack I understand now why so many bolts on your fenders and that makes good sense.

I really do appreciate all of your replies and information. I also appreciate the ribbin, I feel like I am part of you guys now. :) :thumbsup:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Mounting fenders

Postby rooster » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:51 pm

John, your answer to Jim's question caught me at a weak moment.
When you said "one", I thought that was a dumb answer, until I
re-read Jim's question. But it was the right one. . . . Sorry for being
slow to catch on . . . .

Jim, :oops: :oops:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Chip » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:38 pm

Jim to get the slim fenders over the tires I had to mount them out away from the body about an inch and a half,,, I used a metal bracket on the front, the middle and one at the rear, welded to the fender and then two elevator bolts per bracket,,, If the fenders were wider than I would have just solid bolted to the body as you descrribed,,, skinny fenders called for alternate mounting

54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm

My fenders will be made of 3/4" spruce and/or plywood framing, with 1/4" plywood skin. I have yet to determine if they need to be removabe or permanently mounted. If permanent, I'll use four 5/16" carriage bolts inserted into the framing from inside, through the trailer wall and the fender's inside wall, with washers and nuts inside the fender. I may add some construction adhesive between the fender and the side wall too. I think that will hold it well enough. Of course, the fender isn't going to have any weight put on it. It's a fender, not a seat or a step ladder.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Chip, thank you my friend, I appreciate the help you have given me. I feel comfortable with mounting them now.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby s4son » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:23 pm

Chip wrote:Jim to get the slim fenders over the tires I had to mount them out away from the body about an inch and a half,,, I used a metal bracket on the front, the middle and one at the rear, welded to the fender and then two elevator bolts per bracket,,, If the fenders were wider than I would have just solid bolted to the body as you descrribed,,, skinny fenders called for alternate mounting

Chip,
Can you get a couple pictures of your mount. It sounds like how I will do mine. Also, where did you get your fenders?

Thanks,
Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:48 am

Chip, Until now, I had never heard of elevator bolts. Where did you get them? They look like they would require a shallower countersink hole drilled in my frame wood than carriage bolts would to get the paneling on flat to cover the heads. In fact, in spruce, they might be taped in flush without any drilling at all, except for a hole for the bolt shaft. I don't believe I've seen them in any of the box stores, unless they are in the specialty hardware drawers.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chip » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:56 am

Scott,, the fenders are off the shelf steel trailer fenders from Northern Tool, If I remember they were on sale for about 23 bucks each,, Ill try to get a decent picture of the mount tabs and post it later today,,, basically the mounts were bent out of mild steel 1"x1/8"x7" long,, I lucked out and beat to fit with a vice and a couple hammers,,, they are flexible enough that final bending after welding in place on the fender was no problem, the fun part was trying to hold the fenders in place with my knee and mark the mount holes :lol:

Dale the elevator bolts I found in the speciality fastener drawers in sLowe's. They have a larger head than carriage bolts (1") and also will draw flush to the wall when bolted down,, they had a variety of lengths and the 1.25" length worked out just right for me,, I think the size was 1/4 dia and use any standard 20 bolt and lock washer,,oh and I didnt have to countersink them,, but I was going straight into plywood,, but if ya did it would only be about a 1/16" at the most

54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion