Video series on how to create a teardrop in SketchUp

Re: Video series on how to create a teardrop in SketchUp

Postby SteveW » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:31 pm

Is it possible to change the names of the youtube vids to include a description of what's in that part? I liked how you had it on the original post where you showed the concepts that would be covered in that episode, but find I'm flipping back and forth so I get to the right video on youtube.
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby danlott » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:18 am

Ok, got the descriptions added to the titles.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby AlexTutt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks for posting these! I thought I knew my way around sketchup pretty well but almost everything you used was new to me. It seems I could've made my model so much easier and faster using what you taught. It looks like it may be time to do a V.3 model using all my new knowledge :)
AlexTutt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rob Sanders » Fri May 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for the excellent tutorial! I'm learning about sketchup and tears at the same time. :applause:
Rob Sanders
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Subadai » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Thank You for spending the time to make this Tutorial. It has helped me immensely.

I have 'played' around in Sketch Up and that was all, 'played'. But giving me some direction and subject matter has really allowed my skills to improve. Reminds me of when i was learning bezier curves in Illustrator. I had no idea on how these things worked until I took the letter 'G' and drew the curves to match. Now, I am pretty damn good at bezier curves in Illustrator. I just needed a direction and subject.

After 1 day of viewing your video series I am really close to having a real plan for my teardrop. I have named her "Gravitys Angel" as this will be used mostly for camping during my paragliding/hang gliding excursions. I will be posting view when totally finished. (later today?)

Again Thank You.

Gordon York (screen name "Subadai")

York Design
30 yrs of graphic design experience.
Subadai
Teardrop Inspector

Postby danlott » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I am glad my tutorial has helped you all. I also learned SketchUp by just using it. I played around with it and did not really think it was a good program. But I then decided that I would just start building my teardrop design in SketchUp and see if I could do it. It took awhile and I made mistakes, but I got it done. I have since learned how to do thinks better and faster. I only wish I could build the trailers in real life as fast as I can draw them in SketchUp.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:28 am

Hi - should I be able to use the free version of SketchUp to view plans another forum member is planning to post, and use them to help me build my teardrop? I looked at SketchUp's website and the application costs like $500 - too much for this guy.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby danlott » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:34 pm

The free version will do all that you want to do. You can open any of the files that are on this forum with the free version. All my models were created with the free version.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby 41ford » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 am

Interesting info I couldn't make anything when I tried. :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
[/img]]A wink is as good as a nudge! Know what I mean!![/color]
41ford
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RollingBean » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 am

Dan, I have to say that the videos are amazing,

:beer: :thumbsup: :worship:

I have watched them over and over again to soak in as much knowledge as possible. Yesterday night I started my own design and at first I was hesitant but as I continued working on it I knew I was on to something. Your videos have given me all the direction I needed. I will be posting pictures of the Rolling/Jumping Bean as soon as I have the design ready.

Thank you very much!

Alfonso.
RollingBean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby danlott » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:44 pm

RollingBean wrote:Dan, I have to say that the videos are amazing.

Thank you. I am glad that they have helped you. Looking forward to seeing your design.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby jsparrish26 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 am

I jumped the gun, and my "profile" with the bulkhead not visible has several transparent spaces in it. Without re-creating the whole thing, is there a way to fix this? Also, sometimes when I draw a new shape or gridline, it shows up under the current item (circle for my rear hatch is under the rectangle, unable to see it unless it is bigger than the rectangle). Thoughts and tips would be appreciated.Image
jsparrish26
Teardrop Inspector

Postby danlott » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:14 pm

jsparrish26 wrote:I jumped the gun, and my "profile" with the bulkhead not visible has several transparent spaces in it. Without re-creating the whole thing, is there a way to fix this? Also, sometimes when I draw a new shape or gridline, it shows up under the current item (circle for my rear hatch is under the rectangle, unable to see it unless it is bigger than the rectangle). Thoughts and tips would be appreciated.Image

The transparent spaces you are referring to appear to be areas where the surface was deleted. The best was to get the surface back is to redraw (draw over) one of the existing lines that is connected to the deleted surface. This should recreate the surface. Another way to recreate the surface is to draw a connecting line across the deleted surface for an exiting edge or point to another edge or point on the opposite side of the deleted surface.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Tutorials