Finishing Bendable Ply/Luan

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Finishing Bendable Ply/Luan

Postby Loader » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:46 pm

I just picked up my 1/8 bendy plywood, and had a question about finishing it. (couldn't find it on the search)

I want to use some spar urethene, however, not sure if I should apply it before installing or after. Will the urethene crack when bending the ply?

It sure would be a lot easier to apply with the ply on the sawhorses.

Thanks all.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:55 pm

YES!!!!!!!!! No question! Don't apply the finish until you're finished! (is that a pun?) :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:22 pm

...we did the complete finish to all wood pieces before they were assembled including the bendy ply which had a pickled stain and 3(r4) coats of Polycyllic onit...it didn't crack on us which was a worry....YMMV
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Loader » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 pm

Thanks guys. As much as I really don't want to apply the varnish/urethene after it is installed, I think that is what I'll do. Well, my wife will actually apply it, she handles the brush better than I do.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:02 pm

It's not just the applying--it's the sanding BETWEEN applying.

I spar varnished my roof (1/4" bendy birch) after it was on, and it wasn't a MAJOR pain in the a** getting up there up top to apply, sand, and apply thrice again. (I used mega-expensive stuff--Pratt & Lambert's Vitralite.)

But if I knew I could do it before-hand on saw-horses, I probably would have gone that route--although I was in a rush to get the roof on because the rains were coming here.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:29 pm

[quote="Ira"]It's not just the applying--it's the sanding BETWEEN applying.

I spar varnished my roof (1/4" bendy birch) after it was on, and it wasn't a MAJOR pain in the a** getting up there up top to apply, sand, and apply thrice again. (I used mega-expensive stuff--Pratt & Lambert's Vitralite.)

But if I knew I could do it before-hand on saw-horses, I probably would have gone that route--although I was in a rush to get the roof on because the rains were coming here.[/quote

Ira, You think your's was a bear to work on the top? Just think of what I'll go through. Mine will be just about 7 1/2' high at the peak. I'm doing my sealing with thinned poly varnish on the roof skins on saw horses before installing them (starting the sealing tomorrow). But, I'll have to fill the joints, sand, prime and paint the top using a ladder. That'll be fun (NOT). Maybe I'll take off the wheels and tires, put it on low blocks for the finishing, then after it's painted, jack it up to put the wheels and tires back on. But, that will only reduce the height by 6 or 7 inches.

My wife mentioned today that she would like to see it with the door and windows put in. But, those will be installed much later, after it's painted and the interior paneling is installed. She also asked how long until it's finished and where are we going on our maiden voyage. I haven't even thought that far ahead. No idea how long to complete it (i'd say 3-4 weeks...maybe), and the first trip will probably be somewhere within a hundred miles to shake out the bugs.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: Finishing Bendable Ply/Luan

Postby TomS » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:33 pm

Loader wrote:I just picked up my 1/8 bendy plywood, and had a question about finishing it. (couldn't find it on the search)

I want to use some spar urethene, however, not sure if I should apply it before installing or after. Will the urethene crack when bending the ply?

It sure would be a lot easier to apply with the ply on the sawhorses.

Thanks all.

I used 1/8 " bending birch plywood for the inside roof skins on my tear and on the inside of the galley hatch. I applied 3 coats of Minwax spar urethane, sanding between coats, before installing in my tear. I had no problems whatsoever with the urethane crazing or cracking during installation. And, it sure is easier to sand and apply the urethane with it laying flat on a work table.

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chris C » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:35 pm

WOW!!! I stand corrected! Big surprise to me. :shock: Sorry if I gave you the wrong info. :oops: (Dang, that's THREE times I've been wrong this year!!!) :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:16 pm

Chris C wrote:WOW!!! I stand corrected! Big surprise to me. :shock: Sorry if I gave you the wrong info. :oops: (Dang, that's THREE times I've been wrong this year!!!) :lol:

...are you sure that wasn't 3 times TODAY :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) ................................................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:15 am

I put mine together before I finished the inside. At first, I used a foam brush but found that to be a pain when doing the ceiling. Getting polyurethane dripped on you can be a PITA. Then I fired up the cup gun and sprayed it. It took a little while to get the gun set up but it went on pretty easily. There are a couple places where I didn't sand as well as I should have but I'll sand it and touch it up with the spray can stuff.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:36 am

Although the poly varnish in the spray can is a lot more expensive per ounce, I use the spray cans for small projects to save all the hassle of setting up the paint gun and then having to clean it. I don't think I've ever brushed on varnish. I prefer straying...it's faster and I think it gives a smoother finish (smoother than my brushing anyway).
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Loader » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:03 am

Thanks for all the advice, I installed the inner skin yesterday, before finishing it. So, a learning experience for me. I'll do the hatch skin on the sawhorses.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:40 am

I to brush poly on a desk and my son handed me a sweat sock. worked great. No brush strokes and smooth finish.

:lol:
Those look so good
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:38 pm

My tear will be 5ft wide, but the board that I have is only 4ft wide. How have people been splicing two sheets together smoothly?
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:58 pm

My TTT is 5' wide and the cabin from Point to Point is 12'. So, I had to use 3 sheets for each side and the top. There are other methods of joining sheets, but the method described here worked out fine for me. I made sure that a vertical 33/4" thick by 3" wide framing piece was in the side for each joint to be attached to, and a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" spar in the top for joints.

On each skin piece, I beveled the edges that join at 45" for about 2/3 of the thickness. This allowed a "V" groove just over 1/4" wide at the top to fill with bondo. I attached the skin pieces with TBII glue and screws about 8"-10" apart and used my brad nailer to put a couple of brads inbetween the screws to make sure the edges were fastened securely to the framing. All of the joints are practically undetectable after putting on some primer.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques