A question & idea.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A question & idea.

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:47 pm

I have looked through many pages of this forum & have not seen this question.

What do you guys think about installing a propane light in a teardrop. My parent had a 14ft. trailer that had one. It worked great.

I need to make several gaskets for my door latches & tail lights. What do you guys think about cork?
rainjer
King Koleman

Re: A question & idea.

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 am

rainjer wrote:What do you guys think about installing a propane light in a teardrop. My parent had a 14ft. trailer that had one. It worked great.

I had gaslight inna 22'er I once owned...the mantles had to be replace most of the time I moved it and they put out a fair amt. of heat...something not needed down thisaway...however I had considered one or two in the galley, mostly for ambiance but then you would need to carry mor'n a 1# bottle with ya
I need to make several gaskets for my door latches & tail lights. What do you guys think about cork?

...it floats really well :D ;) you would probably need to put some sealant on 'em to make sure they were truly water tight and exposed to weather/UV's would deteriorate...how about butyl tape or some other sealant...we used butyl caulk and EBS in the appropriate places
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: A question & idea.

Postby Gage » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:10 am

rainjer wrote:<snip>
What do you guys think about installing a propane light in a teardrop. My parent had a 14ft. trailer that had one. It worked great.
<snip>

Not a good idea, not enough air space. I have one in my vintage Travel trailer and it doesn't get used, it's just for show although it is hooked up. There is no need for it in a teardrop. Also the mantels are hanging mantels and I don't believe you can get them any more. At least I haven't been able to find any.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Boodro » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Gage , I agree the use factor is not there for this . I do know you can still get the mantels tho, I have sen them at WM, Km, Cabelas,Meijers,& alot of fisihng bait shops. Just my 2 sense , ain't worth much.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ira » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:18 pm

When I bought my first propane lantern years ago, I must have burned up a dozen of those mantels until I got the hang of it.

My lantern-lighting skills matched my building skills.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Leon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:28 pm

I have a propane light on the shelf in the shop. It would require so much room around it for airflow and heat that it wouldn't fit in the teardrop without me catching something on fire.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:37 pm

This is the type of light. I was looking at.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/rv-propane-gas-lights.htm

Not a good idea, not enough air space.

If you open the roof vent & or the windows, I would think you would be OK.

I had gaslight inna 22'er I once owned...the mantles had to be replace most of the time I moved it and they put out a fair amt. of heat...

The heat would not be a bad thing...I was not planning on ha heater for my tear.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby PaulC » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:49 pm

rainjer wrote:This is the type of light. I was looking at.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/rv-propane-gas-lights.htm

I had gaslight inna 22'er I once owned...the mantles had to be replace most of the time I moved it and they put out a fair amt. of heat...

The heat would not be a bad thing...I was not planning on ha heater for my tear.

Rainjer, from the response supplied it appears to me that you had made your mind up about asphyxiating yourself prior to posting this thread. It's not for us to question your decision but we do tend to think of the health of others when asked. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air so I suppose if you sleep sitting up with your nose against the vent you should be okay.
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Gage » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:43 pm

Boodro wrote:<snip> I do know you can still get the mantels tho, I have sen them at WM, Km, Cabelas,Meijers,& alot of fisihng bait shops. Just my 2 sense , ain't worth much.

I guess I should have clarified that statement. The one I'm talking about has a porcelain base.

rainjer wrote:This is the type of light. I was looking at.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-g ... lights.htm

I just love it. You post a question and then you want to argue with the answers given. Just go ahead and do what you want and be sure to also keep a fire extinguisher near by. That is if you can get to it because of the carbon dioxide that you will have been breathing.

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:26 pm

I just love it. You post a question and then you want to argue with the answers given

Rainjer, from the response supplied it appears to me that you had made your mind up about asphyxiating yourself prior to posting this thread. It's not for us to question your decision but we do tend to think of the health of others when asked.

I think you both missed the point of my last post. By no way have I decided to use one. I was making sure everyone understood the type of light I was talking about.

Obviously there is a minimum space requirement & a proper amout of ventalation that would be required to use that type of light . I had planned on looking into this.

Carbon dioxide is heavier than air so I suppose if you sleep sitting up with your nose against the vent you should be okay.

I understand Carbon dioxide is heavier than air. I figure most people would not sleep with the light on.

BTW I do like the idea of using one or two in the galley area. I had planned on hanging up my Coleman Lantern.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:14 am

rainjer wrote:

BTW I do like the idea of using one or two in the galley area. I had planned on hanging up my Coleman Lantern.

Now you're talking. If you want the retro look with hanging lamps in your TD have a look at the Coleman copy of what we called over here the tilley lamp. I have one and have made a shade for it. If you want a pic let me know.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Elumia » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:56 am

It seem to me, that with a propane lantern you really don't get much bang for your buck. A good battery lantern with rechargeable batteries with provide you with a safer more economical light source. Electric lamps allow for much better control of where you use your light and can consequently use lower wattages to achieve the desired results.

Remember, lighting is all about contrast. In the pitch dark, you would be amazed at what 10 watts will light up. Just because you have 100 watts in your living room doesn't mean you need 100 watts in your teardrop! Also, you excess light can infringe on your neighbors enjoyment. There's nothing I hate more than camping next to the guy who has to have his whole campsite lit up like the daytime. Light pollution blocks out your enjoyment of the stars above......

Fuel lamps are not great souces for light. If they were, we'd still have them in our houses........

Keep the propane for cooking. Just my opinion
Elumia
500 Club

Postby Eski » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:00 am

PaulC wrote:
rainjer wrote:

Now you're talking. If you want the retro look with hanging lamps in your TD have a look at the Coleman copy of what we called over here the tilley lamp. I have one and have made a shade for it. If you want a pic let me know.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

I too have a tilley lamp, but that still burns super bright and hot (kerosene). The fumes aren't that great either, you'd be pretty high by the time you lay down for bed...

My thoughts anyway...

A Tilley lantern that ran on batteries would be awesome, that old authentic look, without the worry of fuel.

Adam.
Eski
Teardrop Builder

Postby GeorgeTelford » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:12 am

Hi Elumia

Bang for buck? there is more power in a 15Kg Gas cylinder than in 4 X 110 Ah batteries. How that all converts to Lumens though I am not certain.

I think that it would not be wise to use a gas light in a tear, Confined space, you are lower to floor than usually intended, mattress at low level absorbing gas, problems fitting a lower vent that would take all the Carbon gasses away
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:29 am

There is one word that would prevent me from ever using gas powered (propane or liquid) and that is "FIRE". You can hardly move around without bumping something, imagine bumping that lantern onto your mattress!

In a TTT possibly, but in a teardrop, I think the consensus is no way.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques