Mounting a propane cylinder

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Mounting a propane cylinder

Postby ezbie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:26 pm

I know this one has been visited before but I can seem to fine the hardware to mount a propane cylinder to the tongue of my TD. I am thinking of going with a 10# tank (or something smaller than a 20# anyway) but just cant find a mounting bracket.
Dont F*ck with Mr Yuck!!!
ezbie
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:03 pm

Is this what you are looking for?

Today I finished with the poly on the tongue chest and mounted it. Also mounted the propane bottle. Not visible, are the black air cleaner wing nuts under the angle.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:01 pm

I looked all over the web for a suitable propane tank holder for my tear drop. I wanted one that would be easy to mount and dismount the tank. When camping I move the tank next to my stove with one of those distribution trees that also supplies a lantern.

So, I buit my own holder this past weekend.

I made the base out of 3/4" x 1/8' steel angle. Yeah, I know those welds are pretty ugly. But, this was my first welding project. I borrowed my son's 110-volt flux-core welder. I also bolted these 1/2" zinc-plated threaded steel rods to the trailer's tounge assemble.

The hold-down bracket is 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle bracket. I cut 2 slots to engage the collar on the top of the tank. At Mike's suggestion, I used some threaded knobs from McMaster-Carr. Two retaiing pins at the very top of the threaded knobs keep the knobs from vibrating loose.

This weekend, I'll prime and paint the holde and tounge assembly. I can't wait to go camping again.
:twisted:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:57 am

Tom,

That looks good. And you sure got those knobs fast!!! :?

Send us one more picture when you've got it painted!!!

Mike...

P.S. You could use a portaband and cut those dangerous looking front corners off... :phew:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:40 am

mikeschn wrote:P.S. You could use a portaband and cut those dangerous looking front corners off... :phew:

Or use an angle grinder to round them off.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby wlooper89 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Mike,

I like the look of your propane tank mount. I am thinking about making a similar one of aluminum, in part because I lack welding equipment and skill, and tools to cut steel. I am still thinking about the design and may end up mounting the the tank on the trailer tongue platform. We will continue to remove the tank to the picnic table for use with our portable stove.

The photo shows my first idea about tie-down hardware and base material. The tie-down things will probably be returned to the store as we want something more simple looking. A future post will include a photo of the tank and mount when it is done.

Bill

Last edited by wlooper89 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:16 am

wlooper89 wrote:Mike,

I lack welding equipment and skill, and tools to cut steel.

Bill

A circular saw can be equiped with a fiber type metal cutting blade and the same with a power miter saw. Saws - all blades are available for every type of metal , wood and even tree pruning. Combine these metal blades with a good drill and a few bolts you won't need a welder. One would be nice but you don't need it.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gene C » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 am

I have a line that runs to the back that hooks up to a 3 burner stove or BBQ

Gene C[/img]
Gene C
Teardrop Inspector

propane bottle holder.

Postby zen » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 am

Gene I saw the photo of your tear. I'm looking for a propane bottle holder just like yours. Where did you get it. I see your in Ca. as am I,maybe I could find one easier.
Thanks in advance.

Dan
[email protected]
408-607-6677
Daniel Zen
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
zen
Teardrop Builder

Postby shadowhaus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:48 am

Dan....I'm sure Pat would weld one up for you.
shadowhaus
Teardrop Builder

propane

Postby zen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:04 pm

My old friend Shadowhaus, How are ya?
I'm sure he would just want to make sure I do the right size ex...
I haven't seen anymore photos. Whats going on are they working ya to hard over there?
P.S. Send me your email in a pm .
Daniel Zen
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
zen
Teardrop Builder

Postby wlooper89 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:58 am

The photo below shows the old arrangement with the tank inside the electrical compartment. The new location will be outside on the platform. A base approximately 8 1/4" square attached to the platform will keep the tank from sliding. That will be made of angle aluminum 1" X 1/8" and a square of left over Lexan type plastic. In addition to making room for other items inside the box, I wanted to move the tank outside the electrical compartment for safety. :thumbsup: A question was beginning to form in my mind about how big a fireball eleven lbs. of propane would make. :o :shock:

Bill

Last edited by wlooper89 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:33 am

Bill,

Sounds like a good plan.

Are you making any progress yet?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby wlooper89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 pm

The oval shaped holes in the round tank base, four of them spaced evenly around, can accept two long rod type screws, about 9" long and each rod passing horizontally through two of the holes, attaching the tank to the angle aluminum that is secured to the tongue platform. There will be an acorn nut on one end of the rods and washers & wing nuts on the other. No other tie-down needed. It will certainly be clean looking, tank held on as if by magic!

This photo shows the path of rods through the tank base to attach to the angle aluminum on each side.

The next photo is of work done on the tank mount base. The heavy Plexiglas base and the angle aluminum help to make the tank mount mostly rust proof or rust resistant. The work remaining is to drill 12 holes, 8 in the bottom of the base including the plastic. Those will secure the base to the trailer tongue platform as well as hold the base together. The other four holes will be in the sides of the angle aluminum for the rods. All holes will be 1/4".

Bill

Last edited by wlooper89 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Postby wlooper89 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:55 am

There has been a little progress. Probably it should be called a baby step. :) I was finding it very difficult to figure out where to put the screw holes in the angle aluminum and plastic, because the trailer platform is steel mesh and I want the eight screws to fit into eight of the diamond shaped holes in the mesh. My solution was to build a wooden template and with the screws place it on the platform to see if the screws fit into the holes. It looks like a good fit so I can drill the angle aluminum pieces and plastic the same way. :thumbsup:

Last edited by wlooper89 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlooper89
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques