Dispersed (Dry) camping...

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re:

Postby Bogo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:21 pm

hammer & tongs wrote:To say nothing of a sudden departure of a covey of quail..when least expexted ! ...LOL
Or the silence of an owl flying close by and taking a rabbit. Of course the rabbit wasn't silent about taking it's part in the nocturnal drama. It let out a massive scream that left my ears ringing and thankfully it was cut short with a gurgle and crunch crunch sound. The rustling sounds also ended at that point. Then the owl hauled it's catch up and away to where it came from. On it's return flight I got to feel the draft from it's wings, but I still didn't hear it. On both flights, it looked like a few gray indistinct streaks waving up and down as it flew through the air. It looked very much like they describe the motions of ghosts, and that rabbit's scream, that could easily have been a monster of some sort. That night showed to me how ghost and monster stories came about. BTW, this happened just outside my barn, and the actual kill happened about 12 feet to the side of me. I also found rabbit bones and hide on top of the grain bin the following day.

While doing some fencing, I had a red tailed hawk take a rabbit about 25 feet behind me. That wasn't nearly as loud, but the totally unexpected scream of the rabbit nearly made me jump out of my skin. Thankfully the hawk was much faster in silencing the rabbit.

One of my other up close wildlife encounters happened up along one of the roads that gets near the Boundary Waters Canoe area. I had a hobby of doing Aurora watching, and if it looked like there was going to be a storm on a night where I didn't have to work the next day. I'd throw the bed roll and camping gear into the pickup bed and head north, even if it was going to be -20 that night. On this particular night the Auroras were nice, but at around 4am I'd gone over an hour without seeing any so I went to bed. I rolled out my sleeping roll in the back of the pickup like I always did, then I put the tarp bows over it, then tied the tarp down to the sides of the pickup. I awoke to a couple gentle sideways jostles of the pickup. In the dawn light I could see the shadow of a snout up against the tarp sniffing. For some reason I punched it with all my might which precipitated a yelp. Then I could hear something running away through the snow. By the time I got my head out from under the tarp I was only left with large paw prints in the snow. On the small hill to the west I found tracks from multiple wolves with two sets leading to and back from my pickup. BTW, when this happened I knew wolves were in the area. For years I'd often heard them when Aurora watching. I'd also seen them a couple times during canoe trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe area.
Bogo
500 Club

Re: Dispersed (Dry) camping...

Postby dustboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 pm

ctit101 wrote: We avoid campgrounds like the plague.

Yep, me too. Although in the more populated states you tend to have neighbors at the better spots. I used to spend a lot of time at a very special place in Big Sur, then one weekend I went there, and I found myself next to a full-on rave with candy-flipping lunatics wandering through my camp like it was Disneyland.

And then there is the other contingent, which is the reason I quit the 4-wheeling scene--you could be miles in the middle of nowhere, but some drunk redneck decides that 100 feet away from your toddler is a great place to fire his shotgun.

That's the double-edged sword of the backcountry, if the neighbors are jerks, there is no camp host to call, and no cell service to call the ranger, if there is one on duty.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Re:

Postby ksmack01 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 pm

hammer & tongs wrote:For more information; go to the regular RV forums and they list many...the RVers call it "boondocking".. :thumbsup:

I thought we WERE RVers :thinking: hehehe
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Dispersed (Dry) camping...

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 am

The GeoCommunicator Map is a good place to find public lands. Open up the interactive map and select the "Surface Management" button. BLM lands show up in yellow.

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/M ... SiteMapper

You can also download the info to Google Earth.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets