No roof vent!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: No roof vent!

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

INMO its better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. The roof fan certainly isnt a necessity, but definitely plan on some sort of ventilation. Hell, I have a convertible with a screen roof, and the roof fan still gets used a lot.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Have 3 builds that I sleep in and none have a roof vent. A simple little fan hung from the curtain rod in front of the side windows works great and I just couldn't see cutting a hole in my roof.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 pm

We have a vent and in it are two computer case fans, in hot weather they are great.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby grant whipp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:34 pm

As long as you have adequate ventilation in the cabin, there's really no "need" for a roof vent, but "adequate" means different things to different people (and, I like to have "adequate" ventilation where ever I may choose to travel). There are lots of folks in the PNW who have roof vents in their campers (teardrop or otherwise) and have had no problems, and there are some pretty interesting "covers" on the market that would allow you to have the vent lid fully open and not get any rain through it.

In the end, it's all about what suites you best and works for your particular needs. Just be sure, please!, that there will be plenty of fresh air inside while you sleep! Good Luck, and as always ...

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby aggie79 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 pm

It's not that much work to frame the opening for the vent in case you change your mind later. You may also want to run power to that location in case you decided to have a vent fan.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mezmo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Wolfscout put a side wall vent in his CT.

See pg9 in the "6x12 CTC log cabin" thread in the CT Section.

I tried to post the specific posts but the forum is acting
squirrelly tonight and wouldn't let me do it.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 am

If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby terryjones1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:34 am

In the photos below, you can see where I have installed a Fantastic Vent vertically.

My TTT Garageable Standy Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40591
terryjones1
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am

Early in the design stage we decided to have a Fantastic Fan roof vent from a similar discussion on an old thread. We also have a 24"x16" sliding window in each of our two doors. Just a week ago we got the door seals installed. A funny thing happened when my buddy Mark and I accidentally attempted to shut the doors at the same time. The air pressure was too great and one door 'bounced' instead of closing. The seal appears to be extremely good. It re-enforced the reasons for having a roof vent; you can't have too much airflow in such a small space. There's another plus to the vent, you get a little sunroof! :D

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Even though the front is a convertible and that I have three windows I am still adding a roof vent with a cover.

Covers allow the vent to be open, even while towing, in the rain.

I've got two in my ct trailer and love it.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:03 pm

On my last trailer, I didn't put in a roof vent either. I went with a step van type side vent. It opens either up or down. Works great. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mary C » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Well every time I read more you are answering my questions so If I have two doors with opening windows I can put a little fan in front of one of those windows and that should be enough air? I was thinking of getting the type windows that slide. . Thanks :) Mary
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 am

Here's an exterior shot, it either tips out at the top or the bottom. Step van vents are used typically vertical to pull air into the vehicle when moving, like especially on the floor boards just ahead of the door. I just mounted it 90 degrees off so I can open it from the bottom to keep the rain out. Depending on where you camp...small netting may have to be added for bug protection. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:48 am

Probably not....It's pretty old school ventilation. I found it at http://www.millsupply.com It was like 26$ I think. I figured that was worth it to get a new one and not spend a bunch of time trying to track a used one down. A regular wrecking yard with some larger type trucks may have a van with one in it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby mckenney56 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 am

etrailer.com has something like that. comes in metal finish (which I guess you paint) or black. Lots of other vent alternatives on there too. Here's the link http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Traile ... 6-062.html

biziedizie wrote:I like the fact that it's flush mount, now I just have to find one. I'm going to assume that a wrecking yard that deals with rvs would be the first place to look.
Thanks for the pic.
mckenney56
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques