When you got to go

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: When you got to go

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:15 am

The spring gathering was almost a no go for me. Rather than try and cook dinner and load for the gathering we decided to take a short cut. However it turned out that the purchased ready to eat rotisserie chicken was a bit OFF! The next morning there was a traffic jam at the potty. I refused to let the trots stop me from the gathering but was smart enough to go prepared.......

Armed with the 4x4 first up and the privacy curtains from Chubby I tossed in the little Therford porta potty and a 4 pack of important paper and I was GOOD TO GO!

I am equiping the caboose build with a composting saw dust toilet. It will be a wooden cabinet similar to a cedar chest profile. The Top will open like a blanket chest and then there will be a standard toilet seat with lid. The seat will be mounted to a 5 gallon plastic bucket lid and the matching bucket recessed into the cabinet. The lid will have the center removed and the snap locks cut away to make removal easy. A second lid will be available to snap on with a couple locks still functional for long term periods of unuse or while in transport. To the immediate right and left of the throne will be small bathroom sized waste baskets resessed into the cabinet with small hinged lids for the cover material complete with a small scoop.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby kirkman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm

bobhenry wrote:The spring gathering was almost a no go for me. Rather than try and cook dinner and load for the gathering we decided to take a short cut. However it turned out that the purchased ready to eat rotisserie chicken was a bit OFF! The next morning there was a traffic jam at the potty. I refused to let the trots stop me from the gathering but was smart enough to go prepared.......

Armed with the 4x4 first up and the privacy curtains from Chubby I tossed in the little Therford porta potty and a 4 pack of important paper and I was GOOD TO GO!

I am equiping the caboose build with a composting saw dust toilet. It will be a wooden cabinet similar to a cedar chest profile. The Top will open like a blanket chest and then there will be a standard toilet seat with lid. The seat will be mounted to a 5 gallon plastic bucket lid and the matching bucket recessed into the cabinet. The lid will have the center removed and the snap locks cut away to make removal easy. A second lid will be available to snap on with a couple locks still functional for long term periods of unuse or while in transport. To the immediate right and left of the throne will be small bathroom sized waste baskets resessed into the cabinet with small hinged lids for the cover material complete with a small scoop.

:thumbsup: :applause: Way to go Bob on the compost toilet they work great. :applause:
Do you have a place at home to compost humanure? Or are you just going to put it in the trash?
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:30 am

Here is a picture of what I was describing above for the caboose build. Now I just have to build a nice box (chest) around these parts.

As to the disposal question, I am planning to be as responsible as possible and see it gets to a site porta potty or a state park disposal site. I just can not see flinging poo in the general trash.

If I am able to get the little plot of ground I have my eye on I will have a garden and would then build and maintain a composting pile!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 am

bobhenry wrote:As to the disposal question, I am planning to be as responsible as possible and see it gets to a site porta potty or a state park disposal site. I just can not see flinging poo in the general trash.

If I am able to get the little plot of ground I have my eye on I will have a garden and would then build and maintain a composting pile!

No no, don't put that in a porta pot. As I went to Burning Man last year I now have an advanced degree in porta pots. :shock:

The saying goes "If it don't come out of your body it don't go in the potty" now we all know the sucker trucks can't suck up bottles and such, That is pretty obvious but I found out that even if a material can be sucked up without harming the sucker in the next stage of the process it can. when the truck unloads :lol: it goes over a screen thingy to get small bits out of the sewage stream and if there is to much they can refuse to take any more. That happened at Burning Man one year. They was able to get another place to take their....................what ever and almost got kicked out of there. That would have made the mess they had at the sight even worse than it was. And it was mighty bad.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:04 am

Bob On another web sights forum they where talking about disposing of human waste in the park dumpster it was brought up that all though gross and not recommended if every one in the camp ground is doing it. That is where baby and adult diapers end up. So as long as you do not have some disease or parasite it would be OK. Now I am no expert on this but it make sense to me.
Buy the way have you seen this web sight. Lots of good info on this type of toilet.
http://humanurehandbook.com/
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:43 pm

I thought I'd give this post a bump, I have found another book that shows how to construct a toilet. I'm in the process of designing something similar for my little trailer so I thought I'd share this other book that I found
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:54 pm

And yet another one for you to look at this one even has a parts list
http://www.omick.net/composting_toilets ... ersion.htm

slowcowboy wrote:when you gotta go you go wheter you got a jon with you are not. and theres not real need to pack a pot with you when you got plenty of them around you.

most campgrounds have a vault toilet and on a road trip theres a gas station.

I am like angie not really needed and not inside the camper to stink the bed up.

slow

Slow, some people don't camp in campgrounds and I find it kinda rude to stay in a place for a week or more and just crap it the bush sure in the heat of summer you go out with a shovel and all is good but for winter camping its not the same and it could be rather offensive to do if there is a group of you or if there are children or animals but I totally agree gas stations and campgrounds I'd use those first if given the opportunity but for a middle of the night I'll use my own Image

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Perhaps it should be noted that some animals will eat poop, if it is out in the open/not buried.
Most animals who eat poop are not harmed by that as they have the enzymes to digest much of it; so, they don't get sick like we do.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby droid_ca » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Perhaps it should be noted that some animals will eat poop, if it is out in the open/not buried.
Most animals who eat poop are not harmed by that as they have the enzymes to digest much of it; so, they don't get sick like we do.

That is a habbit I do not want my dogs to pick up :? especially when the lick me

“Fide Canem”
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm

I don't know why you all are worried about having to go to an outhouse in a campgrounds. :roll: It at least has walls, door, and a smooth seat. It shows up when you put a flashlight beam on it at night. My favorite thrones at campsites are the ones for the camp sites in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area up in MN. They usually have a nice screening of bushes on the sides and back, and a raised dais with the throne on it and they always overlooked a lake. Rarely was there ever any screening in front of them. That would have blocked the view. :lol: The actual materials used were all locally sourced. Highly likely within a few hundred feet of the throne. Even the seat was hewn from local logs. Never needed my shovel to make a cat hole up there. I need to take a trip up there again.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby catinmoon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:53 pm

I was going to post on this topic and saw this thread so appreciate the information. we have the luggable loo but so far haven't had to use it, as we've been near pit toilerts. One thing that I often run into is the instruction to use sawdust, which i agree seems a good medium, but if you don't have a carpenter shop where would you get sawdust?

So my question is what other materials are good to use? Cat litter seems heavy -- has anyone tried the shaved wood like you use in a hamster cage? or other ideas? shredded newspaper? probably not real odor absorbent.

Thanks for any ideas, or further discussion on the topic. I loved the bumper dumper!

Stephanie
catinmoon
catinmoon
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:39 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Did you notice that, in picture #9, the artist appears to have drawn a naked woman?

(Now, watch how many people go and look!) :lol:

She isn't completely naked as she appears to be wearing a necklace. Does that count?

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

eamarquardt wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Did you notice that, in picture #9, the artist appears to have drawn a naked woman?

(Now, watch how many people go and look!) :lol:

She isn't completely naked as she appears to be wearing a necklace. Does that count?

Cheers,

Gus

You took a good look at that lady, didn't you, Gus! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Maureenm » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Catin moon, try feline pine cat litter, it's compressed sawdust and works great in a loo. It is little pellets that expand as they absorb. Much lighter than regular litter.
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Peat moss works well too...
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets