Rustoleum Paint

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Rustoleum Paint

Postby Clancy Courtney » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:52 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Rustoleum Hammered finish paint? I am considering repainting the frame on my Cubby and old utility trailer. Is it any good? If its not, what would you recommend?
Thanks, Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

Postby surveytech » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:03 pm

I used the hammered enamel on my trailer and was very pleased with the results. After I purchased my TSC frame I gave it a coat of the rustoleum just for future protection. Then after I got the outside of the tear finished I painted the outside rails again.
I found the paint to put on a hard finish that looked good. I used the black and still have some of the quart left.
One note, if brushing on the paint, dont over brush. Just kind of lay it on and check for sags. If you brush it a lot the "hammered" effect isnt the same.
test it somewhere to see what I mean.
still easy to use though.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:40 pm

From the spray can, right?

I used it on my current fenders, which I'm now throwing out.

I'm sure guys who really know how to apply the stuff get great results, but it was kind of funky for me. It sprayed on kind of okay, but chipped real easily afterwards. Granted, maybe I also didn't prime perfectly, but it didn't quite spray on the way it looks on the sample top for it.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby surveytech » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:15 pm

Ira wrote:From the spray can, right?

I'm sure guys who really know how to apply the stuff get great results, but it was kind of funky for me. It sprayed on kind of okay, but chipped real easily afterwards. Granted, maybe I also didn't prime perfectly, but it didn't quite spray on the way it looks on the sample top for it.

Ira,
I bought a quart of hammered enamel at wally world and brushed it on.
No chipping problems with mine.
Are your fenders galvanized?

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:23 pm

The Rust-oleum brand is an excellent one. I used the silver in the spray can that I bought at Walmart (cheaper than Home Depot). It made an excellent hammered finish even though you'll never see it. I feel confident that it will preserve my chassis with little maintenance. Danny :D
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rampage » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:26 pm

I didnt know that you could get in a quart. I bought a few cans of the spray at wally world.
I have a Redtrailer. I went over the whole trailer with some smooth wet/dry paper, then wiped it down with mineral spirits. Gave it a a few thin coats and I'm really pleased with it. Dont put it on to thick with one coat or you wont get the "beaten metal" look.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:45 pm

surveytech wrote:
Ira wrote:From the spray can, right?

Ira,
I bought a quart of hammered enamel at wally world and brushed it on.
No chipping problems with mine.
Are your fenders galvanized?

Walter

My fenders are the Northern Tool ones that are supposedly paint-ready, no priming necessary.

But I didn't think you could brush it on and still get that "hammered" effect. I thought you HAD to spray it. Plus, all I ever saw of this stuff was in a spray can. You saw it in a can for brushing?

Mine was gold colored, and when sprayed properly, gives you this extra texture to it.

Like I said, it didn't go on horribly, but this was for my fenders--and I wasn't that impressed with the overall look of it. I expected more. For a frame, I'm sure it's fine. It's probably fine for fenders TOO, with more skilled hands. But you gotta be pretty good to match that texture sample on the can top. That doesn't happen by accident. If you overspray here, underspray there, it's all over.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Clancy Courtney » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:01 pm

My thanks to all that offered an opinion. I think I'll try it.
Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:11 pm

I've been using Hammerite brush on paint for years, gives a good industrial finish. I like the stuff. I was glad to see Rustoleum had bought the rights to the manufacture it. I used the Hammerite brush on on my boat trailer and the Rustoleum hammer finish on the teardrop frame. Some say they wouldn't give a nickle for it, but with several coats of primer, it worked well for me.

Steve 8) :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby surveytech » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:58 pm

yeah you can buy it in quarts and gallons I think. But good luck trying to find many colors. Although Rustoleum manufactures hammered enamel in many colors when it comes to the big box stores, all your going to see is Black, Silver and maybe gray in the quarts. They do tend to carry more colors in the spray cans though.

I bought a quart at wally world for about 10 bucks and change. That gave me enough paint to do everything before I started constuction and some left over to do the sides again after construction.

And I think the label even sez that you can paint over rusted metal. (didnt try that)

good stuff.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby weasel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:28 pm

I use it for everything, detail work, trailer and on my old truck. Good stuff.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby Clancy Courtney » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 pm

What luck! I found several qt. containers of silver Hammered finish reduced to $8 at WalMart.
Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:17 pm

I applied it over the ghastly red HF frame. I'm getting a lot of chipping on the tongue but it's easily replenished.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby dakotamouse » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:43 am

I haven't used the hammer finish Rustoleum but I am a big fan of Rustoleum.

This is a picture of my old 79 Malibu Classic that I hand painted with Rustoleum to hold down the rust :lol:

It really turned out nice. Perfect....no. The paint job did have a bit of texture to it but it did hold down the rust. I never worried about door dings in parking lots. Just a quick dab of paint with a foam brush and I was as good as new...ish.

I bought the Deerslayer in 1979 and sold her last August and bought a 2005 Malibu to replace her. If I get half as much use as the old one I'll be really happy.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques