Bolting the floor frame down

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Bolting the floor frame down

Postby rampage » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:14 pm

Should I use grade 5 bolts to bolt my floor down to the trailer, or would simple SS bolts and nuts be ok? I cant find any mention of it anywhere to use grade 5, but I want it done right. Thanks
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

floor bolts

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:29 pm

The Kuffel Creek plans I have don't differentiate. Just says 3/8" x 2 1/2" Carriage Bolts. I did countersink them, used a little silicone on them and lock washers and tight nuts . I might smudge at little silicone on the ends when finished.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Bandit » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:18 pm

This was also a concern that I had. When I bolt my floor down and get the side walls installed and eventually the hardwood flooring, I will never be able to access these bolts again. I went with 2" SS bolts and nyloc nuts. I've got 12 bolts holding the floor down, so it pretty impossible to shear all these bolts. I am more concerned with long term corrosion (rust).
:thinking: :thumbsup:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 pm

I used 24 elevator bolts to hold down my floor with nylock bolts and sprayed a little rust-oleum on the parts that are exposed to the elements. No primer needed. I'm sure they will out live me. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm

Yeah, Danny, I'm at that point too...............most anything I build will outlast me! :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:59 pm

Danny and Chris

I have never heard of Elevator Bolts, can I ask - what exactly are they?
Now ya got me stuck on my English.... :lol: :lol:

And also I will be to the same topic not too long from now.. Is your floor
width and length flush with the edges of your trailer frame or is it cut to
extend out a little - few inches or even an inch?? lengthwise and widthwise?

since our trailer frame has been professionally built and "Galvanized" I was thinking to use galvanized bolts to install the floor down to the frame..
1st I was thinking stainless but its a no no since the galvanizing will cause a reaction to the stainless and vise versa so ... Ihave heard anyway but again Im no expert to say anything more on it...and also how many bolts have been used is what I was also wondering about...course all the frames are different in size so everyone dont use the same amount...

I will also countersink the bolts to the ply...

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Ira » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:11 pm

Actually, Finn, most people do the wooden floor frame so it's LESS than the trailer frame dimensions. This way, when you put your walls up, they sit on the trailer rails themselves--not on your wood frame. Also figure in your intended skin material thickness to make it PERFECTLY flush with the edge of the trailer frame.

This is a really correct way of doing it--which means I didn't do it this way. My sides and skin hang over.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Here, Classic Finn, try this: http://www.allproducts.com/search/produ ... 0407.shtml They have larger heads. Some people like them, but a carriage bolt with a square hole washer is just fine. :thumbsup:

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:48 pm

Thank You Chris

I checked the website out ... now I know what they are .. gee learned somthing new again at my ol age... :lol: :lol:

I,ll check around for them ... I,m sure we have them here but under a different name.. or somthing identical to that...Good idea for sure..

Thanks again
Classic Finn :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:50 pm

Ira wrote:Actually, Finn, most people do the wooden floor frame so it's LESS than the trailer frame dimensions. This way, when you put your walls up, they sit on the trailer rails themselves--not on your wood frame. Also figure in your intended skin material thickness to make it PERFECTLY flush with the edge of the trailer frame.

This is a really correct way of doing it--which means I didn't do it this way. My sides and skin hang over.

Thanks Ira

I,ll find out shortly how I really will end up doing it...
Lengthwise I have 86 inches on the frame but I will make it 96 inches..to give more room...

The wall will hang below the bottom frame just a tad also so I can install the edge moulding under as well... at least that is what I have in mind ... :thinking:

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:05 pm

my floor is just 1/2" cdx plywood and it is held down with 6 elevator bolts.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Chris, I never did find any elevator bolts at my HD or Lowes. I did find "Connector" bolts in the cabinet hardware. They have wide flat heads with a hex drive slot in the center of the head. they also have threaded inserts with a wide head to keep them from pulling through the wood. I plan on using these to hold my fenders on if they don't have to be removable.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:31 pm

I wouldn't think HD or Lowes would have elevator bolts, but they'll sure have carriage bolts..........which I think would be just fine for that job.

Chris C

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:23 pm

I bought my elevator bolts & SS piano hinges ($22 for a 2" X 72") at Tacoma Screw http://www.tacomascrew.com/default.htm they have several stores in the Puget Sound Region, Portland Oregon & Boise Idaho. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Mcmaster.com has elevator bolts.

I used galvanized 5/16' carriage bolts/lock washers/nuts with locktite on them. Home Depot here has the wonderful chinese carriage bolts that are an aledged grade 2. 3900 lb. Bolt Tensile Strength (Breaking Strength -lbs) I figured since it was wood that was being bolted down, bolt strength wasn't much of an issue, saved the big bucks for things other than stainless steel bolts. If they rust under that rooftar undercoat and galvanizing that just means the nuts won't accidentally come off. But if I worked in a place with big bins full of bolts, only the best would be good enough for my teardrop. :lol:

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques